Old January 10, 2003, 16:09   #1
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 06:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does giving away Monarchy slow the switch to Republic?
One strategy I'm thinking of using is buying Monarchy, if it's developed BEFORE Republic, then selling it for whatever the other powers will pay, so that those who use it will have go through 2 Revolutions (1 to Monarchy, 1 to Republic), before they get Republic? Does anyone have information or opinions on this topic, and at what play is your norm?
Old January 10, 2003, 18:12   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
realpolitic,

In my experience, Monarchy does get discovered before Republic (unless I'm beelining for Republic and manage to get it before the AI gets to Monarchy). I've never thought of what you propose, typically because I usually take a shot at the Hanging Gardens.

The other problem is that I'm pretty sure the AI gets some sort of help with anarchy (maybe even adjusted for level of play, like other advantages it gets), so you may not hurt them much.

I will sell the AI communism, though. "Here ya go fellas! Looks like a great idea! Naw, it's just not our style, really, but I'm sure it will work for you!"

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 10, 2003, 18:17   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
The difficulty level determines the maximum # of turns the AI would stay in Anarchy.

I think on Emperor level, the AI would stay in Anarchy for 3 turns if non-relgious. (The usual 1 if Religious)

Selling Monarchy upon it's discoverly would almost certinately decrease your chances of building the Hanging Gardens and in addition allow an AI cascade of wonders to continue from the Ancient Era into the Middle Age.
Old January 10, 2003, 18:19   #4
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

It depends on the civilization you're playing against. Against religious civs, it doesn't matter, because they get 1 turn revolutions.
I think it also depends on the favourite government of each civ. Some will just stay in monarchy...

--Kon--
Old January 13, 2003, 14:37   #5
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:07
Non-religious civs can stay in anarchy even up to 8 turns
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 13, 2003, 15:30   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

For humans, yes.

But for the AI it depends on the human's difficulty levels.

Max at Emperor for the AI is 3 turns.
Max at Deity for the AI is 2 turns.

Check the civ3mod file.bic file under the Civ III editor in classic Civ for the other levels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
Non-religious civs can stay in anarchy even up to 8 turns
Old January 13, 2003, 16:12   #7
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
For late Ancient ages wars, or early Middle Ages, you are on the right track. On higher difficulties (or against Religious civs) the anarchy won't last long, but 1 or two turns where they can't respond to an invasion is big. Also, giving the AI any government other than Despotism before attacking is preferable, otherwise you end up capturing worthless cities which have been pop rushed mercilessly. They can even do the pop rushing during your turn, so blitzing doesn't circumvent this problem.

Giving Republic to your 'target' in this timeframe is optimal, as WW will kick in very quickly if you are taking their towns, and they will most likely have their production rates dramatically reduced due to more entertainers (especially if they've been relying on you for luxuries).

Usually the AI's will switch to Monarchy and then Republic anyways, so in the overall sceme of things giving them Monarchy first won't slow them down.
Old January 13, 2003, 16:25   #8
joncnunn
Emperor

Well, it's going to take up to 20 turns from when the AI left Despotism for them to forget all their oppression.

The AI is even more merciless under Communism.

The AI though is actually doing the right thing pop-rushing them mercilessly when the cities are doomed to fall.

Tricking the AI to switching from Despotism to Republic in the middle of a war would be even more effective than posted, because the citizens won't have like that they have been at war for several decades and still are.

Note that this strategy only works on lower levels. On Emperor level, it's very difficult to get Republic before the AI gets Monarchy.