Old January 12, 2003, 15:34   #1
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help a neonewb with diplomacy
Admittedly I'm wuss who plays on the third or fourth difficulty level and doesn't like killing civs because his conscience bothers him. That said, can someone help me with diplomacy? Why are AI luxuries worth more than 3 luxuries and 3 resources of mine? This is not a fair trading system (IMHO) ! This seems to be a symptom of the 'lets pick on the strongest nation' syndrome. Wouldn't a weaker nation have a strong interest in appeasing me?

This fact alone is what causes me to uninstall after every game and shelf it for a few months. I like the idea of having allies, even if I don't need them. I like the idea of trading so everyone has stuff they need. The AI makes trade, diplomacy, and peace impossible if you are superior and so mark themselves for destruction by my luxury-hungry nation. I'm very sorry for the rant, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Old January 12, 2003, 15:54   #2
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 14:15
Re: Help a neonewb with diplomacy
Quote:
Originally posted by 0bsidi0n
Why are AI luxuries worth more than 3 luxuries and 3 resources of mine? This is not a fair trading system (IMHO) !
You may have:
(i) more cities
(ii) more luxuries already
(iii) more marketplaces
The AI values luxuries roughly proportionally to the total number of happy faces you'd get. It might not be quite fair but at least it's rational.
If the AI were putting up a decent fight you would get more for your luxuries. They are still almost always worth buying for cash.
Old January 12, 2003, 18:17   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
It's not fair. The AI is set to put a markup and values items from other AI's higher than it does yours. The higher the difficulty level, the higher the markup. It is in the editor if you care to look.
Old January 12, 2003, 18:42   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:15
But it's realistic_ letting Switzerland paying the same amount of money of USA when buying oil from the saudis isn't fair at all.

Also, you may give one silk to a small country at a fixed price, and that's ok
When the huge 100-cities country asks you silks and you KNOW that they need it so badly, then it's your duty to exploit their misery
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 12, 2003, 19:04   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
BTW, you are not really talking about diplomacy, but rather trading.

If the price REALLY bugs you, try gaining a tech lead and using that for luxuries. Typically the AI will run out of gold, and offer you less than the value of a tech... this at least maximizes (by virtue of defraying) the very high cost charged when the luxury will give you many happy faces.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 12, 2003, 19:42   #6
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
It's not fair. The AI is set to put a markup and values items from other AI's higher than it does yours. The higher the difficulty level, the higher the markup. It is in the editor if you care to look.
It does with techs because they are more expensive for the human. But I only noticed a 10% difference in the trading of resources between regent and deity.
It only gives other AIs big discounts if they can't pay. This doesn't mean it values other AI's items higher as it is often the seller who is getting a worse deal (presumably unless they're selling tech for luxuries, in which case the luxuries would be valued more [or something.])
Old January 12, 2003, 22:02   #7
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 08:15
"But it's realistic_ letting Switzerland paying the same amount of money of USA when buying oil from the saudis isn't fair at all."

the game is too messed up. In the game, the Saudis would sell the same amount of oil the the Swiss and Americans respectively: one "square's worth".
Old January 12, 2003, 22:41   #8
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

A luxury benefots each city, the more cities you have the more the luxury is worth. Say you buy wine, look at it as every citizen getting a bottle of plonk so if you have a large civilisation that is a great many bottles of plonk and therefore a considerable expense.

If my civilisation is 100 times bigger than my trading partner then I expect to pay more on this basis. In a recent game I had 40 large cities and France had 5 towns. IIRC I gave 4 luxuries and three resources for one luxury and it was worth it to me (relations were gracious so no cost penalty for attitude). It was only a warlord level game so it would have cost more at higher difficulty levels. France could charge such high prices because it was still good very value for me. No one else could supply that luxury. I actually would have paid even more if I had to. (I had resources and luxuries galore but France had all the fur).
Old January 12, 2003, 22:53   #9
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
You guys were actually very helpful! I've learned more today than I have in months. I guess the system kind of makes sense, but I'm still a little angry that AI's are biased towards hating me, but I understand why now. Thanks everyone!
Old January 13, 2003, 00:41   #10
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Umh, I find that at Chieftain and Warlord I can get very little for my techs or luxuries. This is because it is rare for anyone else to have any money. I consider myself lucky if I can get a lump sum of 50 gold for a tech or a luxury at those levels.

OTH At Monarch the AI civs are much larger and more prosperous so you can make good money selling techs, resources and luxuries and perhaps even maps.

The difference can be staggering. At Chieftain I might only be able to sell rubber for a lump sum of 50 gold if I'm lucky, at Monarch I may get 50 gold per turn for 20 turns!

If you are buying the price difference as you go up in difficulty levels is not so large. I actually seem to PAY more for luxuries and resources at lower levels presumably because my civ is larger in both comparative and absolute terms. Tech costs rise with difficulty levels regardless.

I think the above may help explain why beginners feel they are being screwed. The above may also help to explain why some experienced players can not see why beginners complain they are being screwed.