View Poll Results: Should these boreholes be constructed?
Red: Yes 7 26.92%
Red: No 6 23.08%
Red: Write-in 0 0%
Red: Xenobanana 0 0%
Blue: Yes. 8 30.77%
Blue: No. 5 19.23%
Blue: Write-in 0 0%
Blue: Xenobanana 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15, 2003, 01:54   #31
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
As already stated, better to go for the Mirrors and Solars than Boreholes for energy parks.

Unless.....does anyone know if Mirrors boost energy production of Boreholes?

Still though......we're getting along the lines of creating a Super Science City with that there. The production to create such a thing though.....we won't be able to manage it at this rate.
I see no reason why Mirrors would boost energy production in Boreholes, but I suggested using boreholes instead ebcause in the central area, it would be more effective to build a single borehole and leave ht eother two squares alone than to build mirrors and collectors.
Old January 15, 2003, 09:47   #32
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 09:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think a borehole in one of those 3 squares (mentioned before) would be the better choice, so only one crawler would be needed... does the terrain permit it, or would we need to do some elevation changing?

In large applications the energy park would be a more efficient use of land in terms of energy/square (and energy per former/turn, if all squares are used) ... but is it possible for the boreholes to have a higher individual energy rating than the energy park squares? If so the borehole field would provide more energy per crawler (only crawl the holes). Another benefit of the boreholes is the ability to, if necessary, switch some over to mineral production if the base in question needs it for some reason. I agree that neither idea is really workable on a large scale right now, but perhaps we could keep an eye out for small areas outside of base radii that are suitable for this sort of aggressive development.

The ecological concerns on the other hand... *whistles low*... While we would be avoiding the ED, it could be considered exploiting the game engine, and the ecologically minded would go ballistic if we proposed drilling holes everywhere (or building large quantities of Solars and Mirrors, which are pretty bad too). I can't say I'd blame them, from an RP perspective, despite what it could mean for our economy.
Old January 15, 2003, 11:16   #33
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Archaic

Question Maniac. What in your book qualifies as "seriously polluting our environment" in the terms of producing eco-damage. How much eco-damage do you find acceptable? And why is it even an issue?
To answer your question from umpteen posts back:

I can think of two criteria:
1) Our terraformation capacity must be big enough to deal with the pollution created and be able to clean up the mess - restore the ecological harmony - in a reasonable time. Momentarily there are few formers in Centralis, at least according to my Jedinican standards.
2) We must be able to deal with the side-effects of destroying Planet's natural biosphere. There seems to be increased mindworm activity in highly industrialized regions. In Tacticus Academy there are too little troops present to protect the many defenseless crawlers in the neighbourhood.
Old January 15, 2003, 14:32   #34
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 14:20
Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
The borehole SW-SW of TA will raise temperatures and dry the western coasts of TA, wont it ? Wouldnt it be better eastern of TA ?
Old January 15, 2003, 18:22   #35
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
yes to both. i can't be bothered to read through 2 pages of this
Old January 15, 2003, 18:46   #36
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 14:20
Neither can I. I looked at the locations, disagree, and voted no on principle. STEP does not support boreholes, especially for our Capital, New Apolyton, that has enough minerals already from mineral/mines.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 15, 2003, 19:57   #37
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
1) Our terraformation capacity must be big enough to deal with the pollution created and be able to clean up the mess - restore the ecological harmony - in a reasonable time. Momentarily there are few formers in Centralis, at least according to my Jedinican standards.
We are building more formers, as you may have noticed; while you may consider them insufficient they are ahrdly the only ones we intend to build.

Quote:
2) We must be able to deal with the side-effects of destroying Planet's natural biosphere. There seems to be increased mindworm activity in highly industrialized regions. In Tacticus Academy there are too little troops present to protect the many defenseless crawlers in the neighbourhood.
Why do you think we placed an order for an Empath Rover or two?

Quote:
The borehole SW-SW of TA will raise temperatures and dry the western coasts of TA, wont it ? Wouldnt it be better eastern of TA ?
...? What do you mean? In any event, most of the fertility comes from the large condensor farm nearby.

Quote:
Neither can I. I looked at the locations, disagree, and voted no on principle. STEP does not support boreholes, especially for our Capital, New Apolyton, that has enough minerals already from mineral/mines.
A bigger concern for me than minerals is eenrgy, which we as a faction have great need for, with or without FM. These two boreholes, on their own, will signifcantly strengthen our economy and research.