Old January 14, 2003, 13:36   #1
solodar
Settler

Local Time: 09:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nuclear First Strike
In a recent game, I (Japan) launched a late-game nuclear first strike on my only remaining opposition, Greece. I stole troop plans beforehand and targeted some of my dozen ICBMs on his 6 or so nukes, trying to launch a first strike to wipe out his nuclear reserve before my MAs crossed the border. Problem is that all his ICBMs survived even as the MIs stacked with them were decimated.

So, are ICBMs immune to nuke attacks, more likely to survive, or did I just get unlucky? Because I would have used my nukes elsewhere (strategic resources, MI stacks, railroad chokepoints, etc.) if I thought this was going to happen.

As an aside, the AI nuke retaliation was awful. Went after apparently random low production distant cities rather than my MA SoD, my capital, my IW city, my sole source of Oil, etc etc. SDI worked nicely though.

solodar
Old January 14, 2003, 14:12   #2
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Yes, I think nuclear units are immune to nukes to promote the real-life MAD deterance. (BTW, that is the primary reason why India & Pakinstian haven't gone to war recently over Kasmir; both sides have known for over a decade now that the other side has nukes.)

Yes, AI targeting with Nukes leaves much to be desired.
Old January 14, 2003, 16:08   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:23
Hehehe imagine India nuking Pakistan and destroying all its nukes due to the attack's strenght with Pakistan watching millions of its people die and their chief says "we cannot strike back, we have to wait the end of their turn"
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 14, 2003, 23:26   #4
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Yes, nukes are undamaged by an opposing civ nukes, so the only way to destroy opposing nukes is to capture or raze the city.
Old January 16, 2003, 07:52   #5
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 17:23
Can nukes be modded capturable? I'd love to snoop out the location of one of enemy's ICBM's, then take the city with conventional forces, and launch against the enemy capital.

A'la Apocalypse War in Judge Dredd.

"Let's kick them back to East Meg One!"
"Where?"
"Well, let's just kick them!"

Naturally I'd be without the bombs myself, for some reason...
Old January 16, 2003, 12:52   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Datajack Franit, it would probably be Pakinstan using nukes first (in response to the Indian army about to break thru and cross out of the disputed Kashmir province and into Pakinstan proper with the Pakinstan army having problems holding the line.)
Old January 16, 2003, 15:00   #7
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

I still ask for a world ecologic collapse to be triggered after a dozen of ICBMs
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 16, 2003, 17:23   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:23
Somebody posted some incredible screenshots a while back: before and after a massive nuclear war. I think it qualifies as an ecological disaster. It was very, very ugly.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 17, 2003, 04:51   #9
MoonWolf
Prince

If you use a nuclear strike in a (mass) regicide game, can you kill your oponents kings/queens that way or are these units imune as well?

I saw a picture of a post-nuclear war game too. It was desert everywhere! I haven't really experience a real nuclear war myself though... (hmmm, thinking of making a scenario)
Old January 17, 2003, 15:29   #10
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Quote:
Somebody posted some incredible screenshots a while back: before and after a massive nuclear war. I think it qualifies as an ecological disaster. It was very, very ugly.

EHM it was me!

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 17, 2003, 15:45   #11
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

You can find that thread HERE

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 17, 2003, 16:14   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:23

Well, that doesn't qualify as a "world ecologic collapse?"

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 17, 2003, 16:15   #13
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

kinda

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 20, 2003, 17:23   #14
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 08:23
previous Nuke Post
I, too remember a previous post--even prior to this one.

I think the title was something like, "Teraforming w/ Nukes" or something similar.

IIRC, most of the bay in Aztecs was converted to desert.

While a little disturbing, it was still kinda cool.
Old January 24, 2003, 18:45   #15
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MoonWolf
If you use a nuclear strike in a (mass) regicide game, can you kill your oponents kings/queens that way or are these units imune as well?
The regents can be killed in mass/single regicide games. The AI handles this poorly. The regents are usually in the core cities founded early, exactly the ones you would select for nukage. The AI needs to learn to hide the regent up in the mountains as I do. (but don't hide them in the jungle, as they can die from snake bites)
Old January 27, 2003, 08:47   #16
MoonWolf
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver

The regents can be killed in mass/single regicide games. The AI handles this poorly. The regents are usually in the core cities founded early, exactly the ones you would select for nukage. The AI needs to learn to hide the regent up in the mountains as I do. (but don't hide them in the jungle, as they can die from snake bites)
Thanks! So what's morale? Build up your nuke force and blast the enemy king(s) to a nuclear hell!
Old January 27, 2003, 12:04   #17
PrinceBimz
Prince

If they are the only nation remaining, I say try to get a RoP, not likely but still worth a try. Then investigate the target cities and keep investigating until you find their nuke weapons. Then stage as many units as you can in range of those city/cities. As soon as your forces are setup attack very quickly and try to capture the cities. This will elimiate their nukes. Then it will be all go for your nuclear warfare program. Note though, it don't always work this good of course Also I normally don't wage a nuclear war unless I am very angry and absolutely have to.

Last edited by PrinceBimz; January 27, 2003 at 12:10.
Old January 28, 2003, 07:56   #18
cumi
Warlord

Hi,

my strategy is to build asap and as much as i can ICBMs or nukes. I load my nukes into my submarines and send them to positions. (I play islands-map, so I can reach every capital). If someone ever attacks me, will have to build a lot of workers for pillaging pollution. But I use nukes only if am sure, my opponents have no nukes or after I build my "national defence system".

...But sooner or later the whole world is declaring war on me...This is the reason why do I need alot of nukes. When I used all my nukes, have to wait - while raising enemy cities - and make peace one-by-one with everybody. It is very painful for my opponents to make peace with me - after what i did to them -, but they have to.

...so my conclusion is: when having nukes and planing to use it, build a lot of them (3 for each enemy capital + 1,2 for each enemy metropolis) and be prepared to fight against the whole world (a few turns).
Old January 28, 2003, 08:38   #19
MoonWolf
Prince

Not very unlikely my own strategy if the game last that long and I don't have control of the world already practical speaking.
Old January 28, 2003, 09:44   #20
cumi
Warlord

...cont...

And yes, if possible don't give a chance to your opponent to strike back...So RoP, then on positions and eliminate them!!!
Old January 28, 2003, 16:24   #21
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

That will have very cool effects on your reputation

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 29, 2003, 12:51   #22
minke19104
Warlord

Local Time: 14:23
I have a game where I sent like 20+ ICBMs into a small continent where French cities were. The result wasnt pretty. I nuked almost every single of their workable tiles . This made the whole thing looked bright orange. There were massive starvations following the attack, and every time I see their workers trying to clean up pollution I just "help" them by sending another one right near the workers