Old January 14, 2003, 20:57   #1
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
French PTW compatibility issue with civ3 english version : a solution?
Contrary to the note at the back of the french PTW box, the add-on is not working with the US version of Civ3.

PTW is generating an error when you generate a new game as the program is trying to locate files that are not in the right folders as Infogrames France has done half of its job (note Infogrames doesn't care to answer the french posters on its official forum).

The program is actually unable to locate the "colons.ini" file in the \Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\units\Colons as the Colons folder in which the colons.ini file should be does not exist.

1 - Simply copy the Settler folder located in the \Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\units folder, rename it Colons and open it. Locate the settler.ini file and rename it colons.ini.

2 - But it is not enough, as the Infogrames France pranksters have also forgotten to include all the files needed in each french unit folder. You actually need to copy the content of each english unit folder into the french one.

I don't know if it can solve all the compatibility issues but I have managed to launch a game.

Last edited by Tamerlin; January 14, 2003 at 21:09.
Old January 14, 2003, 21:08   #2
Tamerlin
King

I have just had a closer look at the other art\units files. The .ini files are missing in several french folders, the french folders with the .ini files seem to be those that are changed by PTW and thus copied again.

Good luck!

As far as I am concerned this is not worth the work. A huge amount of water will flow under the bridges before I buy another Infogrames game.

I hope it will help some french players...
Old January 16, 2003, 22:59   #3
Psycho Billy
Settler

Local Time: 10:24
Couldn't you just edit pediaicons.txt? It contains the names of the folders and INI files of where all the units are to be found. For example, go to the section that says something like:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_SETTLER
Colons

and change it to:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_SETTLER
Settler

Then it should look in the "Settler" folder for the settler files and use Settler.ini.
Old January 17, 2003, 09:34   #4
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Billy
Couldn't you just edit pediaicons.txt? It contains the names of the folders and INI files of where all the units are to be found. For example, go to the section that says something like:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_SETTLER
Colons

and change it to:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_SETTLER
Settler

Then it should look in the "Settler" folder for the settler files and use Settler.ini.
Thanks for your answer Psycho Billy, this is an interesting solution but the french PTW installation program is copying new files and does not overwrite the english ones. New units are created and new files are created along with the french folders. I think it can generate some errors as the program will try to load files in french folders while some of the needed files are still in the english folders.

I will have a closer look at your solution this week-end.

Thanks again!
Old January 17, 2003, 15:05   #5
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 09:24
I'm pretty sure that these problems can be solved by editing the pediaicons.txt and ini files (with maybe a little file copying/renaming). I'd guess it at a couple of hours task to solve.
Old January 17, 2003, 17:26   #6
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
I'm pretty sure that these problems can be solved by editing the pediaicons.txt and ini files (with maybe a little file copying/renaming). I'd guess it at a couple of hours task to solve.
Thanks for the answer, this is definitely something I will try though I would prefer to play for a few hours rather than to tinker with the game.
Old February 14, 2003, 10:24   #7
fadingstar
Settler

Local Time: 14:24
It's the same problem I have with the italian version...can't get it to work with the english play the world. this sucks!
Old February 14, 2003, 12:18   #8
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by fadingstar
It's the same problem I have with the italian version...can't get it to work with the english play the world. this sucks!
At least the Italian community has reacted and it seems you will have a new version soon, this won't be the case in France.

The problem is the French edition of PTW is indicated as compatible with the english language version of Civ3 at the back of the box.