Old January 3, 2001, 23:46   #1
Sem
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Googlie . . .
I lost our old messages. The game, smacx, crahed as expected. I'm going to restart it from save 1 and see what happens. Now, if it crashes again, how do I get it to you. I imagine I close the game down, but then what? Please give me detailed instructions on what to do. I have the win zip program on my computer but don't know how to use it. I could send you a copy on a floppy or a 100 meg zip disk. Please advise. Once again, I really appreciate your help.

Sem

P.S. Need your address again.
Old January 4, 2001, 01:12   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Sem:

I gave a lengthy reply to you in the private messages section

Googlie
Old January 4, 2001, 07:14   #3
Sem
Chieftain

Googlie, I apologize for my ignorance, but I didn't know there is a private message area. How do I access it. Since the first crash, I've restarted from the autosave and the game is running fine. I'm in the 2380's. I'll keep you informed, and as always, thanks for your help.
Old January 4, 2001, 18:39   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Sem:

depending on how wide your window is, the private message section is either on the right hand side or at the bottom of the general forums screen (by beneral I mean the CtP, Civ, Alpha centauri forums lists).

It is also found at the bottom of each individual forum screen (where all the threads in that forum are listed - e.g. AC Fiction, or AC Multiplayer, etc)

You access it by clicking on your name (only your name appears on the screen) and enterimng your password as if it were a normal post.

Good news, tho, on the game running ok. Hope it's crash-free from now on.

Cheers,

Googlie
Old January 9, 2001, 02:42   #5
Googlie
Emperor

Sem:

I've played the turn about five times now, trying different combinations of unit movements, base attacks, etc., with no crashes.

maybe we should set up a time and hook up by ICQ and play simultaneously to see where you crash and i go through.

(Interesting game, btw - I can see why you'd want to play to completion - Drones have quite a good military as well - get some good deathsphere combats going. Isn't itr a real pity the AI can't co-ordinate the way humans could and give you a real fight for survival?)
Old January 9, 2001, 06:12   #6
Sem
Chieftain

ICQ? What and how? Do you have any ideas why the game does not crash on your computer? Why don't you play to completion and see what happens. I've made some changes to my computer suggested by Dell. These changes are not for smacx per se, but to improve overall performance. I'm currently in the 2390's without slowdowns or crashes. I'll keep you informed. In case anyone else is reading this the Dell changes are available through Dell, but make sure they're applicable to your computer. I have a xps T450 with 128 megs of ram. I have no file number for this, the page is entitled "90% fix." That's the only way I can identify it. If you have a Dell, you might want to call them and see if they can find it for you.
Old January 9, 2001, 18:28   #7
Googlie
Emperor

Sem:

I see from your profile you are not an ICQ user (go to www.ICQ.com and it'll explain everything)

Are you an AIM user?

G.
Old January 9, 2001, 19:10   #8
Sem
Chieftain

Aim? Never heard of it in the context in which you are using it.
Old January 9, 2001, 20:31   #9
Googlie
Emperor

AIM - AOL's Instant Messenger

We keep a chat box open between us as we simultaneously play the turns - you telling me what you're doing and I copy it on my map - if you crash and I don't 'cos of the interceptor (or whatever) bug, then I can finish the turn, zip it and send it you.

Moot now, as you have progressed the game beyond the crash point, but that was what I meant with ICQ (same concept - real time on line chatting) and AIM.

G.
Old January 10, 2001, 02:26   #10
Sem
Chieftain

Goolie, the latest game crashed in the late 2430's. I'm through with smacx and smac and will remove both from my computer. I will never buy a Firaxis product again. This Terrain. fault is common knowledge, yet they refuse or are unable to fix it. Why take a chance on another game that they probably will not support? Anyway, thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.