Old January 15, 2003, 11:29   #1
minke19104
Warlord

Local Time: 14:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Mass Regicide exploits
Most of us that have PTW would probably know of using Mass Regicide mode Kings to explore and get unnatural Tech advantages by visiting every goodie huts around.

But I just found out yesterday about using these "Kings" to find other civs early and take their workers/settlers by force. This would start a war with that civ. However since they never really do anything with their kings, much less attack with them, you can be safely within their borders fortifying.

The AI programming is a little messed up like this. I think they keep pop rushing defenders so their cities never grow bigger. Make sure u stand on the best terrain that have the most food so they cant work it.

They will never attack you, send any workers out or settlers ever again. You can "contain" the AI to 1 or 2 cities that they have built. Later on you can send a warrior to pillage improvements around the city, or completely annihilate them.

I played the game on Regent.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:31   #2
Zurai
Chieftain

I solved the problem of combatant Kings inadvertently with another change to my personal mod: I multiplied the base value of all attack and defense numbers for all standard and UU units by 10. I made that change to allow for a more gradual and signifigant change in numbers, but it has the upshot of making even a lowly warrior 10 times more powerful than a King. Not such a hot idea to send them out exploring when they're as good as defenseless.
Old January 15, 2003, 17:39   #3
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 10:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Zurai
I solved the problem of combatant Kings inadvertently with another change to my personal mod: I multiplied the base value of all attack and defense numbers for all standard and UU units by 10. I made that change to allow for a more gradual and signifigant change in numbers,
I'm unclear on what you mean here. If you multiply them all by ten, then the gradient shouldn't changes. All the unit relationships would be exactly the same.
Old January 15, 2003, 21:22   #4
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 09:28
The AI doesn't know how to play with the new PTW rules. Use default rules if you want a good challenge against computer opponents.
Old January 16, 2003, 11:35   #5
minke19104
Warlord

Why did they release PTW then if the AI doesn't know how to play by its rule???

I just like easy win once in a while
Old January 16, 2003, 11:55   #6
Bluefrog
Chieftain

It was my understanding that the alternate win conditions introduced with PtW were mainly intended for MP games, to add more flavor and shorter games.
Old January 16, 2003, 12:10   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:28
Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000

I'm unclear on what you mean here. If you multiply them all by ten, then the gradient shouldn't changes. All the unit relationships would be exactly the same.
Not if he leaves the king unit unchanged...
Old January 16, 2003, 12:11   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefrog
It was my understanding that the alternate win conditions introduced with PtW were mainly intended for MP games, to add more flavor and shorter games.
Indeed, none of the new victory modes were meant to be played against the AI.
Old January 16, 2003, 12:56   #9
Zurai
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000

I'm sorry, I was unclear. I've modified the numbers beyond the x10 change to provide a better distribution. The only relevant portion was the fact that it made Kings useless for scouting in force.
Old January 16, 2003, 12:56   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

In fact, I think that Elimation aginst the AI would be a peace of cake. Send a couple of Archers out looking for an AI settler, wait for it to form a town, and take the city, killing that civ.
Old January 16, 2003, 16:00   #11
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Either regicide or elim is very easy- in regicide, form a ROP pact with everyone ahead of time, investigate to find the King, move 20 troops in under legal auspices, smear city, rinse and repeat. You might have to fight your way in the last time or two, but otherwise....
Old January 24, 2003, 20:35   #12
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by minke19104
Why did they release PTW then if the AI doesn't know how to play by its rule???

I just like easy win once in a while
because regicide, mass regicide, victory points, capture the princess, etc. are multiplayer victory options.

regicide isn't difficult against the AI: the king is always in the capital, which isn't better defended than any other city.

why was it released without that ability?
probably because AI-programming is one of the hardest things about a game like this. it would need a lot of new algorithms and triggers for this...