Old January 15, 2003, 14:35   #1
Kirov
Prince

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Global Warming once again
Actually, I'd like to know not how to remove GW, but by what GW is caused.

GW is said to be caused by too many fungal pops in one turn, but in my recent game I've endured one fungal pop, which triggered GW. I had infiltrated all the factions so I could check all the enemy bases. There was no ED in any of them, so my pop was the only one. The overall ED of all my bases was also not too high. What's your experience?

Secondly, why GW sometimes rises sea levels for 33, 333 or even 666 metres? And when it causes Mount Volcano to appear?
Old January 15, 2003, 15:06   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:28
Others have dealt with ecodamamage in detail so I refer you to their posts as copied/linked below.

have you read this ?? (copied from a post by Blake in the FAQ here ). The link at the end leads to an article which should cover most questions

------------------------------------------------------------

How do I deal with ecodamage?

The short answer is every Tree Farm, Hybrid Forest, Centauri Preserve and Temple of Planet built after the first fungal increases the clean mineral limit at every base by one. Each fungal pop also increases clean minerals by one.
So you should force a pop ASAP by raising a bases mineral production above 16, then build lots of treefarms. Forcing a pop really is critical to getting the ecodamage reducing effect from treefarms.

18) Whoa! My ecodamage just skyrocketed! why?
Atrocities cause ecodamage. The exact amount for nerve stapling and nerve gassing is unknown. However for launching a planet buster or tectonic missile the ecodamage at every base is increased by the equivalent of producing 5 more minerals. This can be offset by building 5 Centauri Preserves for every PB you intend to launch. (you can sell the CP's and rebuild them)

19) What are some ecodamage terms?
- This is when fungus spreads, the first few are accompanied by a Book of Planet message. It's also referred to as fungal bloom.
Clean Minerals - The amount of minerals you can produce before ecodamage at a base. Also known as clean mineral limit or clean mineral threshold.

20) Where can I find more about ecodamage?
For almost everything you ever wanted to know about ecodamage read this column:
http://apolyton.net/misc/column/175_ecodamage.shtml
Old January 16, 2003, 02:36   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
You know, I never used to give the details of eco-damage any thought. But I too had recently read this info and its fun being able to totally control the enironment through eco-planning.
Old January 17, 2003, 00:38   #4
Kirov
Prince

Local Time: 16:28
Actually, my problem was not how to deal with ED, or even how to deal with GW. I'd just like to know how exactly GW is triggered in game terms. I don't want to completely avoid ED (i.e. by having 0 ED in every base), I just want to have the reasonable one (i.e. without GW). In my above-mentioned example the very low ED caused the GW, so that's why I have been confused.
Old January 18, 2003, 13:02   #5
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:28
You learn something new everyday!
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 18, 2003, 13:24   #6
spartak
King

Local Time: 14:28
Yes.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:37   #7
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 15:28
I have an half-idea about reinstalling SMAC
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 20, 2003, 21:00   #8
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirov
Actually, my problem was not how to deal with ED, or even how to deal with GW. I'd just like to know how exactly GW is triggered in game terms. I don't want to completely avoid ED (i.e. by having 0 ED in every base), I just want to have the reasonable one (i.e. without GW). In my above-mentioned example the very low ED caused the GW, so that's why I have been confused.
I don't know the answer to this even though I wrote the column on ED. What seems to happen is that the first several fungal blooms are "free." Thereafter, there is a definite risk of GW.

Also, the later in the game a bloom occurs, the more likely it is that the bloom will trigger GW. For example, I just triggered GW with a bloom from a base with an ED of 2. I hadn't had a bloom in 75 years.

The reason for this is that ED damage operates globally. The AI fungal blooms seem to add to a GW counter that seems to depend on severity and frequency. Since you cannot see what is happening to the AI very well, you may not know that the AI factions are experiencing blooms. The bloom you have that triggers GW may simply be icing on the cake.

What I have noticed, however, is the GW that the AI triggers is generally of the 66 meters variety, while the ones that I trigger are generally of the 333 meter variety.

Hope this helps.
Old January 21, 2003, 04:19   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
Not playing against/with Domai or Morgan can reduce GW by a BIG factor, I've found. The AI for these two factions has no respect for Planet at all. This is why you need to eliminate the industrial scum for ever.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.