Old January 17, 2003, 19:17   #31
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I suppose we really have to do that. I hate to see us diverting resources to a military campaign, but I don't want to have to keep defending our cities in that area from constant harassment.

"Twere best done quickly"...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 17, 2003, 21:20   #32
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
it is the one unfortunate flaw in the mge , there is virtually no diplomacy the regular version was slightly better.....

i dont' care that the world allies against me, i would too, but to pick a fight lobbing a rock , when i have a nuke and declaring war...
Old January 18, 2003, 00:42   #33
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

ok, is there anyone against bribing kazan AND the cavalry?

the spy doesn't have enough movement points left to do both, so which do we do first?
Old January 18, 2003, 01:09   #34
geoffrey arnold
Call to Power MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCivilization II PBEMCivilization II MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Kazan it will produce more units the cavalry wont
Old January 18, 2003, 01:14   #35
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Given the choice, I would choose incorporating Kazan. I can't tell by the image whether we would have to coerse the engineers separately or not (if we can avoid it, we should get them for free). Also, we may even get lucky and find the cavalry is based out of Kazan and cut its supply lines.
Old January 18, 2003, 01:43   #36
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i believe Naples will be able to hold out against another round of attack from Kazan, however, what if the mongol cavalry stikes at kerman? it would surely kill the wounded cavalry defending the city, and then we would only have a very broken destroyer defending the city, unless we rush a riflemen or some other military unit that could attack the mongol cav outside kerman.
Old January 18, 2003, 02:02   #37
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

if the cavalry attacks kerman, it will have to leave the fortress and end its turn on the grassland. if the spy escapes the turmoil in Kazan, she will be available to capture the cavalry. If she doesn't, we still have the cavalry in naples (and healed enough for 2 movements to attack a wounded cavalry on grassland). We will also have the railroad support removed (Kazan) so the mongols won't be able to reinforce before our own reinforcments arrive (either those mentioned by sea, or by those Kazan units currently poised to attack Naples)
Old January 18, 2003, 02:03   #38
geoffrey arnold
Call to Power MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCivilization II PBEMCivilization II MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Hay h Ill bet you the cavalry will win agains there cavalry. its a vet isnt it. then we could take kazan easly with the spy
Old January 18, 2003, 02:23   #39
geoffrey arnold
Prince

Quote:
I can't tell by the image whether we would have to coerse the engineers separately or not (if we can avoid it, we should get them for free).
Thay have a riflemane and engineerin the city raidias
Old January 18, 2003, 02:40   #40
SCG
King

Quote:
Thay have a riflemane and engineerin the city raidias
so the engineers could also be used to complete a road between Naples and Kerman next turn as well. In that case for immediate defense, the rifleman in the radius can be moved into kazan, then move a defensive unit from Kazam into naples. Then next turn, either the cavalry stays put or it attacks a city. If it attacks naples, shouldn't be any thing to worry about. If it attacks Kerman, it will likely kill (and be wounded by) our cavalry, leaving 1 destroyer in the city and no movement left for cavalry on the open grassland. Use the spy (if survived) to capture the cavalry, or use the engineers to build road to Kerman. We can then move a rifleman into Kerman (and fortify with 1/3 movement left), and/or move the Naples Cavalry into position to finish off the wounded cavalry. Of course if the cavalry is supported by Kazam in the first place, the whole defensive strategy is mute if we use the spy to capture the city.
Old January 18, 2003, 02:47   #41
H Tower

that's just crazy enough to work!
Old January 18, 2003, 18:57   #42
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
i would bribe the calvalry, he is the immediate threat, next turn we can take the city, we might get lucky and it might go into revolt
Old January 18, 2003, 20:40   #43
BruceTheStupid
Warlord

Local Time: 14:32
I would say attack their Cavalry with our Cavalry, finish 'em off with our rifleman moving out of Naples along the railroad. Also send the spy out to capture their city on the same turn.
Old January 18, 2003, 21:44   #44
SCG
King

Assuming the mongol cavalry will attack something on its turn, then bribing Kazan first so we can see what extra units we have to work with from there (and how many units disappear), then attacking with the Kerman cavalry seems most prudent. if it we lose the initial assault, then we can attack with whatever is best from Naples/Kazam afterwards (probably the vet rifleman)
Old January 19, 2003, 02:01   #45
H Tower

I would appreciate it if the Minister of War would come up with a consensus plan before monday night, earlier if possible.
Old January 19, 2003, 10:33   #46
cavebear
Emperor

I agree with SCG. Bribe Kazan first to see how the situation changes. We'll surely gain from it, we just don't know for sure how much. Even if we somehow gained nothing useful (unlikely but possible), we can still kill the Cavalry. Probably the Kerman Cavalry will be sufficient, but definately if we follow up with a Naples Rifle.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 19, 2003, 16:09   #47
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

I would bribe the cav unit first, then take the city next turn.

Looks like we will have a lovely northern colony area to help pump out SS parts later...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old January 19, 2003, 16:41   #48
SCG
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
I would bribe the cav unit first, then take the city next turn.
The spy should have enough movement to investigate Kazam (to see what is there) and still corrupt the cavalry if Kazam doesn't pose a threat. If there are several extra units in the city, I'd convince it of the error of its ways, since they may wind up attacking Naples and wasting both sets of resources.

Reguarding unhappiness, the only risk of unhappiness with the proposed actions if we attack the Cavalry. bribing would have no effect because its in a fortress. If we attack and the Kerman Cavalry loses, we have to either attack with a wounded cavalry in Naples, or a vet rifleman who would then bring discontent with it moving.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:46   #49
H Tower

investigating kazan doesn't real mean a whole heck of a lot though, the mongols have a very active transport fleet moving units over quite often. i wouldn't count on having a safe back door if we go after the cavalry