Old January 16, 2003, 19:17   #1
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
BigIce PBEM
Quote:
The Big Little Ice Age - by St. Leo - Third Place
I absolutely love this scenario and would immediately consider it for first place - IF - it wasn`t so imbalanced. As noted the the ReadMe, the Hapsburgs are a NPC civ and not mean`t to be played. Their power at the start of the game is utterly overwhelming, and within a few game years they immediately amass enough power to wipe everyone else off the map. Otherwise, the scenario is very well done and much fun to play. While not directly PBEMable, it is an indirectly nice game because it presents a situation where players may take the lesser powers and "gang up" on the Hapsburgs. Only through this method can they [the Hapsburgs] be defeated. This is interesting because it truely limits to game to the PBEM scenario sector. While not as good as Imperial Ambition, nonetheless a worthy scenario.
It's time to PBEM the scenario that wowed the SDC judges and managed to get the Second Last Place in the contest.

Valois: FiGu
Tudors: mordhiem
Jagiellonians: conmcb25
Ottomans: MagyarCrusader

Download Link
SDC4 Discussion
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	contest_stleo_bigice.png
Views:	163
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	34123  

Last edited by St Leo; January 19, 2003 at 15:05.
Old January 16, 2003, 20:14   #2
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
Lwow should probably called Lemberg. I've heard of 'Hermannstadt', what is the Hungarian name for the town?
Old January 16, 2003, 22:27   #3
St Leo

Lwow should probably called Lemberg. I've heard of 'Hermannstadt', what is the Hungarian name for the town?

I used EU2 for research. In it, Hermannstadt is the capital of Transylvania (Siebenburgen) and Lwov is the capital of Galizien.

Are you game or not?
Old January 17, 2003, 01:22   #4
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Possibly. Which civ would you recomend me, and why? And where are the Hapsburgs?

OK, after searching the net Hermannstadt I finally figured out it was Nagyszeben. This makes sense since it was in the German dominated area (well, until Romania moved in). The only Transylvanian city name in German I know is Kronstadt (Brassó). That was actually the largest city, although Kolozsvár was traditionally the capital.

Just in case you cared.
Old January 17, 2003, 15:45   #5
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Being Polish Ill be the Jagiellonians, and also to show support for my moderator. (Unless of course you are the Hapsburgs )
Old January 17, 2003, 19:09   #6
St Leo

Which civ would you recomend me, and why?

How about the Ottomans? I have a few fond recollections of our joint OT days.

And where are the Hapsburgs?

The point of this scenario, as it currently stands, is to not be crushed by the Habsburgs. Valois will have the hardest time of it, followed by Tudors, Ottomans, and Jagiellonians in that order.

Ottomans can make some quick gains in the Middle East, but the Habsburg navy will soon kick them out again. Jagiellonians can eventually consolidate the Russian and Mongol lands. Tudors should be able to bring all of the British Isles under their rule.

Valois? Well, it's in their best interest to take the Spanish Netherlands ASAP. Their main concern is not to be overwhelmed by the Spanish forces and hope that Austria doesn't reunite the Holy Roman Empire too quickly.

I highly recommend trying a brief SP game with your nation of choice before playing the PBEM.

I'll join in if you need a fourth.
Old January 17, 2003, 19:18   #7
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
I'll join in if you need a fourth.
I hope you are playing St Leo, Im counting on it!
Old January 17, 2003, 19:18   #8
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:34
Put me down for a tentative Tudors. I need to play a bit more SP first.
Old January 18, 2003, 04:29   #9
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

OK, I'll be Ottomans (hey it can be fun being the bad guys right?) given your consent.. I'll be out of town from Jan 20 - Jan 30 (I am assuming that the game will start before the 30th). If you are not playing this game, prehaps you could be my sub until I get back?
Old January 18, 2003, 11:24   #10
St Leo

Okay, I'll try not to screw them up too badly.

I'll also look into possibly patching BigIce this weekend. The MGE AI is behaving differently from the FW AI.
Old January 18, 2003, 13:24   #11
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

St Leo

You probally know this already but the MGE AI is more agressive than the FW AI.

So even if you build the SAcenario with FW when you play it with MGE it is (the AI) more agrressive.
Old January 18, 2003, 19:48   #12
St Leo

Yeah, I know it. I don't want the scenario to either be too easy or to reach an impasse. As it stands, the Habsburgs don't take much in France beyond Septimania before 1550.

If this is new in MGE, it's being caused by the aggressive Tudor AI being able to keep the Habsburgs out of the Bay of Biscay for a while and the Habsburgs not having enough Horse Artillery. As it stands, I am a bit worried about.

Actually, I think this will work fine in PBEM. The human Tudors can probably capture a few Spanish cities while the Valois make short work of the Netherlands. Austria will be a tougher nut to crack, but Poland and the Ottomans have plenty of expansion opportunities into third-party cities.

Who wants to play the French?
Old January 19, 2003, 03:37   #13
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 16:34
I can take French.

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal
Old January 19, 2003, 05:12   #14
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Thanks Leo!
Old January 19, 2003, 08:23   #15
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Who starts?
Old January 19, 2003, 15:06   #16
St Leo

Valois: FiGu
Tudors: mordhiem
Jagiellonians: conmcb25
Ottomans: MagyarCrusader

FiGu does.
Old January 20, 2003, 09:17   #17
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Attached Files:
File Type: zip valois_1502.zip (17.8 KB, 2 views)
Old January 20, 2003, 13:53   #18
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

War declared on Hapsburg's. Captured La Courna, Bilbao and Antwerp making heavy use of naval bombardment. Pikemen have been convoyed in and it is expected that they will hold until better equiped reinforcements can arrive.
Attached Files:
File Type: net tudors_1502.net (105.0 KB, 2 views)
Old January 20, 2003, 23:53   #19
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Eating lots of Pierogi!
Attached Files:
File Type: net pollocks_1502.net (105.0 KB, 2 views)
Old January 21, 2003, 20:05   #20
St Leo

Ottoman scientists have discovered Merchant Companies and Crop Rotation as was willed by Allah. Research has started on Convoying. Taxation of the pious has temporarily been increased to 40%.

Mosul has been captured by a peasant levy thanks to the temporary denudement of the Trapzon garrison.

Defensive armies have been dispatched westward and offensive armies have been dispatched eastward.
Attached Files:
File Type: net rumelia_1502.net (105.0 KB, 2 views)
Old January 23, 2003, 12:52   #21
FiGu
Prince

French Scientist has discovered some techs.
Attached Files:
File Type: net valois_1505.net (105.8 KB, 2 views)
Old January 23, 2003, 19:29   #22
St Leo

Quote:
Pardon?
Old January 24, 2003, 06:25   #23
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Need to Ctrl-N FiGu...
Old January 24, 2003, 09:03   #24
FiGu
Prince

Oops
Attached Files:
File Type: net valois_1505.net (105.8 KB, 2 views)
Old January 25, 2003, 16:26   #25
mordhiem
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

*Consolidation in Hispana

*The Fleet heads to the Med

*Tea parties held in Finsbury Park
Attached Files:
File Type: net tudors_1505.net (105.9 KB, 2 views)
Old January 25, 2003, 22:39   #26
tanelorn
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Terribly sorry to bump in Mordhiem, but its your turn in Raging Dragon PBEM. Sorry folks
Old January 26, 2003, 00:12   #27
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

No worries the Bump King loves Bumps!
Old January 26, 2003, 00:21   #28
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Ho Hum
Attached Files:
File Type: net pollocks_1505.net (106.0 KB, 3 views)
Old January 27, 2003, 13:58   #29
St Leo

I'll be unable to play for one or two weeks. Sorry.
Old January 27, 2003, 14:58   #30
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
I'll be unable to play for one or two weeks. Sorry.
Hmmm, so what do we do now? Should we just wait?