Old January 18, 2003, 05:32   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Credit card-sized hard drive holds up to 5 GB
Now this is just cool:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...011603X,00.asp

Quote:
Take a look at one of those credit cards in your wallet. That's the exact size and thickness of an upcoming, revolutionary removable storage device called StorCard.

Created by a company with the same name, StorCard can contain from 100MB to more than 5GB of data on a plastic card. At first glance, it looks like a credit card, and even has a magnetic strip like a credit card, for potential use in standard credit card readers.

The hard disk data, however, is accessed on a tiny spinning disk inside the thin card.

"The card actually has moveable parts inside its thin shell," says Bill Heil, vice president of StorCard.

A spinning wheel made of Mylar is engaged when the card is inserted into a StorReader, a USB-connected drive or PC Card that reads and writes to the StorCard. The reader is expected to retail for under $100 and the cards for under $15 each, Heil says.

Deal in the Works
The StorCard and StorReader are scheduled to become available in the second half of 2003. The company is talking with media producers, and a partnership announcement with a widely recognized producer of blank media is expected in the next month, Heil says.

Amazingly, within the card is an on-board processor containing integrated software controls that can encrypt data securely in real time.

"The combination of high capacity [and] an inexpensive price point makes StorCard a viable solution for consumers and businesses alike," Heil says. Also, the card--like a credit card--is extremely flexible, without risking damage to the data it contains, he says.

StorCard promises the tiny hard drive will provide high performance to quickly handle large amounts of data. It will support a volume sufficient to stream media files, for example, according to Heil. As a result, the StorCard could store even material that previously would fit only on a DVD.
Old January 18, 2003, 05:35   #2
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Sweeeeet...

Probably won't see them in Reno 'til late-'03 early -'04, months after other parts of the country...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old January 18, 2003, 06:12   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ooooh!

/me wants one.
Old January 18, 2003, 07:02   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:40
Nice.
Old January 18, 2003, 07:31   #5
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
it probably would get bad-sectored rather quickly.
Old January 18, 2003, 08:00   #6
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 16:40
Quote:
At first glance, it looks like a credit card, and even has a magnetic strip like a credit card, for potential use in standard credit card readers.
Well I think such a card would get damaged pretty quickly if it's in your wallet, unless it has stainless steel protection or something

i mean, i for one have mauled several (not credit cards) cards already and I don't even often use them
Old January 18, 2003, 08:59   #7
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

and what good is it if i cant record 16 tracks at a time on it?
Old January 18, 2003, 10:33   #8
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 09:40
Possibly interesting, but probably not in this particular application. I'd rather have solid-state for something to be used like this. Like those USB flash drives, which are available in 1 gig sizes already.

Wraith
"++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start."
-- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
Old January 18, 2003, 10:50   #9
Oerdin
Deity

My first hard drive was the size of a brick, was as slow as a snail, and only held 25MB. To me these new drives are just plain magic.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 18, 2003, 10:59   #10
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:40
I'm surprised they'd use a plastic shell rather than something more durable like, I dunno, magnesium. Cost, I spose, but I wouldn't think that the additional cost would be that significant for so small a product.
Old January 18, 2003, 11:04   #11
Oerdin
Deity

With a drive that small and thin I'd think they'd want to make it out of metal just to give it the most protection possible.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 18, 2003, 17:47   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A shell made out of metal would more than likely increase data corruption - not exactly what they are aiming for.