Old January 18, 2001, 04:36   #1
foureyes
Settler

Local Time: 05:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What's happening on Earth?
Has anyone ever thought about what is happening on Earth regarding the Unity? Do they know that the ship crash-landed and the survivors have split and are now fighting for control of Planet?

I haven't delved in to the storyline behind the game very much so maybe this has already been covered, but I'd be interested in knowing.
Old January 18, 2001, 09:36   #2
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 06:00
as far as i know there´s no more life on earth. at least the intro-movie shows only war and death.
Old January 18, 2001, 09:54   #3
D4everman
Prince

Hmmm...it might make for an interesting short story in the fiction forums.

It might also make kind of a sequel for the game! I can see it now..."Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Earth Final Conflict" or something. No Taelons, though...after a devastating nuclear war several power blocs arise on earth and attempt to rebuild it. Of course the units would have to be kinda futuristic....cyber-wizards, robo-jocks, that kind of thing. Instead of pods and fungus you could have "radiation zones" and...well, i dunno...I'm rambling. Victory conditions? Be the first to create an orbital stargate and send a ship to Chiron. The factions so amazed that humans on Earth survive, quit squabbling and join you, uniting humanity. (Heck, a prerequisite can be that you have to conquer or have alliance with the other blocs before the victory can be real.

or

Just kill everyone else.

I'm just kidding folks...but if they did make such a game I'd probably buy it.

D4
Old January 18, 2001, 10:14   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:00
D4everman, that IS a nice idea!

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old January 18, 2001, 10:43   #5
Gregurabi
Prince

If a ship from Earth showed up, Miriam would shoot it down (unless Yang gets to it first). Then Zak and Santiago would fight over the wreckage. And Lal would scold everybody for being mean.

Uniting humanity? With these factions? Hah!
Old January 18, 2001, 11:49   #6
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 22:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
There is a famous role-playing game called Fallout which featured the Earth in 2162 after an all-out nuclear war in 2077. If you want to know what happened on Earth after USS Unity launched in 2060, playing Fallout will help your imagination.

It would be funny if a faction achieved victory on the Planet and decided to check out what was happening on Earth. This could provide enough stuff for a new game.
Old January 18, 2001, 15:25   #7
niteowl
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
quote:

Originally posted by weird god on 01-18-2001 12:15 PM
...seems to be an unwritten rule that strategy freaks also like role-playing

Guilty as charged.

Maybe this should be an expansion pack for SMAC/SMACX... SMAC: Return to earth. You have to develop "interdimensional travel" then develop a "stargate" back to Sol-System. Think about it, if all human life was destroyed after the launch of the Unity, the native environment should have been able to recover the planet over time. Then you could re-establish colonies on earth and develop trade thru the stargate. This could open up all kinds of possibities later on, such are re-directing the destination of the stargate to explore other galaxies. Who knows how far this could go....
Old January 18, 2001, 18:31   #8
Gregurabi
Prince

Wait, let me make sure I've got this straight.

Faction X gains prominence on Alpha Centauri. Puts 70k colonists on a spaceship and sends it on a long voyage to Sol system, planet 3 ("Earth").

At some point on the journey, a malfunction causes some of the colonists (naturally, those with the strongest personal ideologies) to be awakened. They try to assess the situation, but each one wants to use the chaos to his/her personal advantage.

The spaceship is doomed, and they have to evacuate. But they're too busy fighting with each other to make a peaceful egress, and therefore each of them grabs 10k colonists and gets thrown down to Earth, crash-landing in a random location.

So 7 rival factions crash-land on a planet which may or may not support some form of native lifeform (intention unknown), and must strive to rebuild a civilization to withstand....

Hmm, this sounds strangely familiar.
Old January 18, 2001, 22:02   #9
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Foureyes,

Earth is toast. Here is part of the quote is from the transcendence epilogue:

~~~~~

After a million or so orbits around Your primary, You pause to reassess Your efforts. The stellar encapsulation is proceeding smoothly, and in a few hundred thousand more orbits will provide You with a 90% draw on Your primary's radiation, trapping all of the energy off the plane of the ecliptic. Deep space Aux links allow You to watch the frame assembly in low stellar orbit, and follow the progress of buglike Jovian freighters loaded with resupply mass.

Occasionally You spot one of Your transhuman friends/symbiotes supervising activity on a scaffolding; even the immortals sometimes crave the risk and adventure of independent incarnation. Some of the most daring souls even undertook to resume interstellar travel, beginning with a return to Your nearest neighbor to sift through the ashes of its third planet and recolonize their home system. In the present age You hear a nanotech civilization is thriving there once again.

……

~~~~~~

Any other conclusion but that Earth got fried?

Hydro
Old January 18, 2001, 22:19   #10
niteowl
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Gregurabi on 01-18-2001 05:31 PM
....At some point on the journey, a malfunction causes some of the colonists (naturally, those with the strongest personal ideologies) to be awakened. They try to assess the situation, but each one wants to use the chaos to his/her personal advantage.

I never said anything about any sort of malfunction. Just expanding your current population to a new area (in this case a diff. planet).

quote:

Originally posted by Hydro on 01-18-2001 09:02 PM
In the present age You hear a nanotech civilization is thriving there once again.

Granted it may have been decimated, but looks like it is once again capable of supporting life.
[This message has been edited by niteowl (edited January 18, 2001).]
Old January 19, 2001, 01:15   #11
weird god
Warlord

Local Time: 06:00
yeah, fallout is great (the graphics are ****ty but the gameplay and the story is cool) - seems to be an unwritten rule that strategy freaks also like role-playing

------------------
god made weed.....you don´t really think he fails sometimes?

weed god, chief of EUROPA
visit EUROPA: www.multispieler.de
Old January 19, 2001, 02:17   #12
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:00
quote:

Granted it may have been decimated, but looks like it is once again capable of supporting life.

Um, in the sense the moon is capable of supporting life , nanotech is (potentially) very powerfull, make almost anything from almost anything, the nanotech could be the only thing allowing life to survive on post-war earth. (or prehaps it was referring to a colony of sentient nanorobots...)
Old January 19, 2001, 11:12   #13
LeMark
Settler

Centauri Dawn mentions something about global nuclear war breaking out as the Unity was leaving orbit...
Old January 20, 2001, 00:34   #14
Christantine The Great
Prince

I believe that it was when the transports were just leaving the atmosphere that many cities were nuked. I don't want to say the person's name but he said that he saw rings of fire coming out of the cities.
Old January 20, 2001, 01:05   #15
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I ummm....had the...shall we say, dubious honor of losing a game once in one of my failed attempts at the OCC....Yang beat me to the Transcendence by one freakin' turn.....anyway, when I lost, my "ending blurb" (no movie, just a blurb) was that millions of sun cycles passed, I joined the PlanetMind, and was then given a special mission....I would board the ship "Prodigal Son" filled to the gills with colonists, and depart for Earth....the final shot was of Earth, and after playing the entire game under the eerie reddish cloud of Chiron, the shocking blue of the mother planet was beautiful indeed.....

Almost worth losing the game to see it....almost....

-=Vel=-
(the punk) LOL