Old January 19, 2003, 10:03   #31
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
But well never know, because we can't even get a guess within the nearest 100 000.
You could put a lower limit by looking at some photographs. A quick check - count the number of people in a small area and extrapolate to the size of area the march covered.

Not sure that is how they would do an official estimate, but it would give a fairly decent ballpark figure.
Old January 19, 2003, 10:31   #32
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 09:43
The guy in the dark glasses and hat in Par4's photo looks like a narc.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old January 19, 2003, 12:33   #33
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin Not sure that is how they would do an official estimate,
That is exactly how PDs make official estimates.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old January 19, 2003, 12:39   #34
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 10:43
If protests are supposed to be a measure of popular discontent, shouldn't there be some way of getting estimates, maybe the Department of Transportation?

Yes, that's the Park Police. I haven't seen a figure from them yet.

The Park Police's figures are generally much lower than what the organizers believe. Some of the criticisms of the Park Police might be fair (like when they measure the # of people during the day), but mostly these organizations vastly overestimate the # of people there. This is because (1) it's politically convenient to do so; and (2) it always looks like you have many more people than you actually do.

"You could put a lower limit by looking at some photographs. A quick check - count the number of people in a small area and extrapolate to the size of area the march covered."

Basically, the Park Police knows how many people fit (on average) in a certain amount of space. Times it by the area and you have a good number. This is the National Mall and standard city streets, so it's quite easy to do comparisons.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; January 19, 2003 at 12:52.
Old January 19, 2003, 13:46   #35
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Here is an article on the issue of how many were there. Apparently estimates range from 30,000 to 500,000

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jan18.html

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 19, 2003, 13:57   #36
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:43
Tens of thousands = 500,000?

Try to read what you post, Sava!

Or just try to read.