Old January 19, 2003, 08:09   #1
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 17:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How did you start with Civ?
So... how did you get started with the world of Civ?

For me, Civ 1 was the first civ game. When I bought sound card + CD ROM drive + speakers, I also got one great CD with tons of various stuff on it. Among everything, it had Civ1. The description there said: "Revolutionary game by Sid Meier that sets new gaming standards" or something like that. Intrigued, I installed it. Prior to that point, most games I've seen were pretty boring, you know, all that Pacman stuff, etc. Well, except the classic Doom 2.

Upon first seeing Civ, my understanding approximately equaled zero, but after I saw Alexander speak to me, and after trying out my first revolution, I understood the game has to be great.

And here I am now, still playing it and the sequels .
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 09:14   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:44
Civ2 was my introduction to the civ universe.

I had a close friend (this was in 1997, I think) whom called me one afternoon to his house. He wanted to show me a new game that he had bought and he thought I would like to play.

There it was, Civilization II... He started a new game, played for a few turns while I watched drooling, completely amazed. Then he invited me to play a few turns (it was a SP game, btw). Two hours later, my girlfriend called me. She wanted to know why I had missed our date that afternoon.

I bought the game two days later, and my life was forever ruined.
Old January 19, 2003, 10:30   #3
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
Civ1 was my first experience, a friend lent me his CD and a couple of other games when i got my first PC, i didnt think much when i first played it and didnt touch it for another year until i bought a second hand copy by chance, that was about 6 years ago now. Fascinating eh.
Maquiladora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 10:56   #4
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 10:44
I saw a Civ I demo in a comp games store, and I was sucked in immediately. The amount of choices available for development, and watching my civ grow was really enthralling. A lot 'o' late nites there! I'm Still trying to recapture that feeling!
Mark_Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 11:32   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:
How did you start with Civ?
I didn't, i started with SMAC
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 14:44   #6
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:44
Sometime after Civ2 had been released, I was introduced to the game by my father's cousins. I liked what I saw, but as I at that time was only a little child(10 years old I guess), I wasn't that good in english, and couldn't play the game without help. We also didn't have any computer at home at that time...

Therefore, I didn't play the game in a long time, not before I by a coincidence(right word?) found Civ1 by a link I found at the Internet. I was captured, and got lots of hours before the computer! And this was around 1998-99. Some months thereafter, I bought SMAC, played that massively and then lent Civ2 by a friend. Better and better!

Even now, I sometimes play Civ1 a little bit just for fun. Nostalgia...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 14:58   #7
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

started with civ1 somehow....i have no idea where i got it though. seemed just to appear one day
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 14:59   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 08:44
I started with Civ I for the Super Nintendo. I can't remember how many carts I broke in frustration (and then re-purchased, because I was hooked) at first.

When Civ II became available for the Macintosh, I switched to that and am now planning on getting Civ III to go with Civ II once its completely available for the Mac platform.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 15:04   #9
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 14:44
no surprises for me. Having played some of Sid's earlier work: Pirates!, Railroad Tycoon. I knew exactly what to expect,a brilliant game.
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
CapTVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2003, 15:22   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Playing Civ2 (borrowed) on a below-minimum-spec 486, with no sound, 16 colour graphics, and 10 minute turns.

Of course later I was glad I had no sound...
Old January 19, 2003, 18:10   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Bought Civ1 for the Amiga when it first came out (near enough). Came on 4 floppies and the incessant changing of discs was annoying, but the game had too much appeal for that to stop me.

I bought Colonization purely because it was another Microprose game by SidMeir and in the vein of Civilization. I bought Civ2 for the same reason.

When I heard CtP was coming out I thought, great. Elation turned to disappointment and delusionment way too quickly. It was a step back on Civ2. Until that point the genre had only been getting better.

~7 years on and I'm still waiting for a game that is better than Civ2 in all areas.
Old January 19, 2003, 20:11   #12
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
It was a summer a while ago... I, in my common manner, decided that summer was the perfect time for going out hiking, bicycling, swimming, sunbathing... not! I bought Civ2, since everyone I knew who had it had told me just how great it was. I got it, spent an afternoon in a hammock reading the manual (damn it was thick) and then sat down at my computer, and kicked some Indian butt I remember pollution being a big problem in my first games...
Old January 19, 2003, 21:26   #13
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 07:44
Civ2 on PC. I was at my dad's - my uncle lived with him at the time - and my uncle was really into computer games. So I found the disk on the computer desk, I figured no one was using it, so why not? I was instantly addicted.
I've been playing that type of game [Not to mention games like Age of Empires, Warcraft, Starcraft, and so on] ever since.
Not that you guys care, I'm sure.
Old January 20, 2003, 00:48   #14
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:44
civ2 was my introduction to the computer gaming world. i got it for my...hmm....9th birthday and spent a year addicted to it. then for my 10th birthday, i got mge. another year of that, then i got Age of Empires. i loved that and a year later i got the conquerors xpansion for my 12th birthday. for my 13th i got civ3 from warez. a few days later, i bought the mofo. yah, not that interesting, but its my little civ history.
jdd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2003, 06:04   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I guess relatively it makes me old, but Civ1 on my Amiga was my introduction to the series......(sighs wistfully). As soon as I got my PC I got Civ2, which hadn't been out long, and I still play it now.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2003, 08:06   #16
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri18
Not that you guys care, I'm sure.
Oh but we do. I call this "inductive consolation": it is good to know you're not alone in your addiction...
Old January 22, 2003, 11:06   #17
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
I guess relatively it makes me old, but Civ1 on my Amiga was my introduction to the series......(sighs wistfully). As soon as I got my PC I got Civ2, which hadn't been out long, and I still play it now.
This means I'm old too.
Poo !

But I still have and use that Amiga, just for Civ 1

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2003, 11:16   #18
DrSpike
Deity

Hehe I got mine out a year or so ago.........played Civ, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder and a bunch of others for nostalgia's sake. Civ (it's the oldest of those games) in particular looked absolutely awful.........good job the gameplay was so damn addictive.
Old January 22, 2003, 11:19   #19
XarXo
Prince

I bought a CD with some games, one of these was 25 mb compressed in an ARJ file (the biggest game in CD!! WOW!), I unarjed it and Civ II appeared. When I listened the drumbs, when I played the game... Oooohh... Yeeeees! It sucked my time for 6 months of making maps, playing them, etc... Finally I made eltaranna.com and started all. But Test of Time, CtP I/II, SMAC, and finally Civ III disappointed me too much. So now eltaranna.com is 1 year and some moths stopped from the last update. But Civ II always has a special place in my heart.
Old January 23, 2003, 03:48   #20
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Oh god, Cannon Fodder and Sensi Soccer. Those were the days. Perhaps we should have an "Old Amiga Games" forum please Mark ?!?!? Pretty please. We could talk about the good old days when a team of 4 "blob-men" with machine guns could keep us ocupied for weeks. And swearing at the T.V. !

-Jam
Old January 23, 2003, 04:23   #21
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 07:44
Good grief, that stuff is old. You people are old. I liked SMAC, and I still play CTP2, even though it's no real Civ game. But I like Civ3 better than Civ2 and I never played Civ1.
Maybe it's just me. Am I the only one who doesn't constantly nitpick Civ3 and just enjoys playing it?
Old January 23, 2003, 04:54   #22
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't constantly nitpick Civ3 and just enjoys playing it?
Probably not the only one, but in a small group. A lot of the posters on the forums (fora?) have played all the Civ games a LOT, and for a very long time. This makes people into perfectionists. After you have played your 1000th game of Civ3, you'll still like it, but you'll certainly find _something_ to "nitpick" about, even if its only the fact that the Roman's default colour should be white, and the Barbarians red.

As the song goes "You always hurt the one you love..." all sing along now.

-Jam
Old January 23, 2003, 05:11   #23
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Oh god, Cannon Fodder and Sensi Soccer. Those were the days. Perhaps we should have an "Old Amiga Games" forum please Mark ?!?!? Pretty please. We could talk about the good old days when a team of 4 "blob-men" with machine guns could keep us ocupied for weeks. And swearing at the T.V. !

-Jam
I had a cannon fodder nostalgai thread in the other games section a month or 2 ago. Find it and bump it.

I also had nostalgia threads on Monkey Island and Mega-lo-Mania.
Old January 23, 2003, 05:12   #24
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Good grief, that stuff is old. You people are old.
Oi! Not that old......just old enough to see the birth of the civ franchise.
Old January 23, 2003, 05:17   #25
Jamski
Deity

The birth of the Civ franchise eh? Well, I was at college then. Do I count as old? I was playing RRTycoon as well. Does this count as an age multiplyer?

-Jam
Old January 23, 2003, 05:20   #26
DrSpike
Deity

Hope not, I loved RT, and I'm only 24.
Old January 23, 2003, 05:27   #27
Jamski
Deity

Ah, then we're both anceint (sp?) by modern gaming standards. I believe the "adult" age starts at 15 now-a-days. I bumped your Cannon Fodder thread BTW.

-Jam
Old January 23, 2003, 05:38   #28
DrSpike
Deity

I play MP (Quake and Warcraft mainly these days, but lots of other games in the past)......and there are plenty of gamers out there our age and older, but you do have to sift through the less mature players.

Many civvers are ancient (sorry ).......Ming and Rah being notable examples.
Old January 23, 2003, 05:41   #29
Jamski
Deity

How old is Ming then ? Or is this a bannable offence ?

_jam
Old January 23, 2003, 05:44   #30
DrSpike
Deity

Nearly 50 I think.......and I am one of the youngsters in the Civ2 crowd......so we aren't old.