Old January 19, 2003, 15:11   #1
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 16:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Some hypothetical quetions which causes you to think...
OK, I think these questions will make your think a bit... Try to answer them.

Question #1:For a person you love deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing that there would be little chance of you ever seeing your family and friends again?

Question #2: Do you believe in ghost? would you be willing to spend a weekend alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted because death occured there?

Question #3:Would you be willing to take the life of a child if you knew this would cure world hunger and end starvation?

Question #4:You are a couple who is expecting your first child. The doctor tells you that there is a 50 percent chance that the child will be blind and deaf. This is your one and only chance to have a child. Would you give up your only chance of having this child because he/she may be blind and deaf? Or would you take the risk and have it?

Question #5:If you could spend 10 years in perfect happiness--having everything you could possibly want out of life, but afterwards would remember nothing of the experience, would you do it?

Question #6:A person that you know successfully
completes a robbery. Although he gets away with ten million dollars, a person dies during the robbery. Assuming this person will NEVER get caught and he/she offers you half the money (and you REALLY need the money) to keep quiet, would you take it? Or would you turn him in and get nothing? By the way, the person killed was a homeless person--a John Doe, and had no family.

Question #7:You discover your wonderful one year old child is, because of a mix up, not yours. When you start to search for your own child you are told it will take at least five years to find your child. Futhermore, you are also informed that it is possible that your child is no longer alive. Meanwhile, the one year old will be removed from your home. Do you risk having the only child you know as yours removed from home in order to wait five years to find your own child that may or may not be alive? Or do you just keep the child in your home and say nothing?

Question #8: Do you think the world will be better or worse off 100 years from now?

Question #9: Would you like to know the date of your and your relatives/friends deathes? (assuming that you could do nothing to prevent those deaths).

(Questions (c) "Book of Questions" 1983)
Old January 19, 2003, 15:36   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
1 - Yes
2 - No and Yes
3 - Yes
4 - Have the kid
5 - Of course. What's the downside?
6 - Show me the money!
7 - Those options suck, I'd do neither of those.
8 - About the same
9 - Of course not.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; January 19, 2003 at 15:42.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:38   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Question #1:For a person you love deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing that there would be little chance of you ever seeing your family and friends again? Yes. Especially if the money is good.

Question #2: Do you believe in ghost? would you be willing to spend a weekend alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted because death occured there? No. Yes.

Question #3:Would you be willing to take the life of a child if you knew this would cure world hunger and end starvation? No.

Question #4:You are a couple who is expecting your first child. The doctor tells you that there is a 50 percent chance that the child will be blind and deaf. This is your one and only chance to have a child. Would you give up your only chance of having this child because he/she may be blind and deaf? Or would you take the risk and have it? No. Yes.

Question #5:If you could spend 10 years in perfect happiness--having everything you could possibly want out of life, but afterwards would remember nothing of the experience, would you do it? No. Why bother?

completes a robbery. Although he gets away with ten million dollars, a person dies during the robbery. Assuming this person will NEVER get caught and he/she offers you half the money (and you REALLY need the money) to keep quiet, would you take it? Or would you turn him in and get nothing? By the way, the person killed was a homeless person--a John Doe, and had no family. Turn him in. No amount of money is worth a lifetime of guilt and worry.

Question #7:You discover your wonderful one year old child is, because of a mix up, not yours. When you start to search for your own child you are told it will take at least five years to find your child. Futhermore, you are also informed that it is possible that your child is no longer alive. Meanwhile, the one year old will be removed from your home. Do you risk having the only child you know as yours removed from home in order to wait five years to find your own child that may or may not be alive? Or do you just keep the child in your home and say nothing? Hell no. Hell Yes.

Question #8: Do you think the world will be better or worse off 100 years from now? Better.

Question #9: Would you like to know the date of your and your relatives/friends deathes? (assuming that you could do nothing to prevent those deaths). Again, Hell No.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:45   #4
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:45
Re: Some hypothetical quetions which causes you to think...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

Question #1:For a person you love deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing that there would be little chance of you ever seeing your family and friends again?
Depends on the circumstances. What if it's not love, but the future. I know that when we left for Israel my mother assumed that she will never see her family again. Thankfully reality was much better.

Quote:
Question #2: Do you believe in ghost? would you be willing to spend a weekend alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted because death occured there?
It will be spooky. But it all depends on what will I get in return?

Quote:
Question #3:Would you be willing to take the life of a child if you knew this would cure world hunger and end starvation?
Yes. And I wouldnt feel a bit of guilt over it.

Quote:
Question #4:You are a couple who is expecting your first child. The doctor tells you that there is a 50 percent chance that the child will be blind and deaf. This is your one and only chance to have a child. Would you give up your only chance of having this child because he/she may be blind and deaf? Or would you take the risk and have it?
If "only" blind or deaf? I'll have the kid. But something significantly serious, no.

Quote:
Question #5:If you could spend 10 years in perfect happiness--having everything you could possibly want out of life, but afterwards would remember nothing of the experience, would you do it?
No. If you dont remember it, it never happened.

Quote:
completes a robbery. Although he gets away with ten million dollars, a person dies during the robbery. Assuming this person will NEVER get caught and he/she offers you half the money (and you REALLY need the money) to keep quiet, would you take it? Or would you turn him in and get nothing? By the way, the person killed was a homeless person--a John Doe, and had no family.
I will take the money.

Quote:
Question #7:You discover your wonderful one year old child is, because of a mix up, not yours. When you start to search for your own child you are told it will take at least five years to find your child. Futhermore, you are also informed that it is possible that your child is no longer alive. Meanwhile, the one year old will be removed from your home. Do you risk having the only child you know as yours removed from home in order to wait five years to find your own child that may or may not be alive? Or do you just keep the child in your home and say nothing?
Risk.

Quote:
Question #8: Do you think the world will be better or worse off 100 years from now?
Overall, better.

Quote:
Question #9: Would you like to know the date of your and your relatives/friends deathes? (assuming that you could do nothing to prevent those deaths).
No.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:47   #5
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Yes. And I wouldnt feel a bit of guilt over it."

So, if you personally had to break a 1 year-olds neck, you wouldn't feel guilty?

Monster.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:48   #6
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If I didn't break the 1 year old's neck and caused millions of people to die of hunger in the future I'd feel even more guilty.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:49   #7
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 07:45
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Sonic
OK, I think these questions will make your think a bit... [/]quote]
Naw, they're easy.

Quote:
Move.

Quote:
I believe there are probably ghosts. If properly motivated, I would spend the night in the haunted house because (a) most ghosts are benign and (b) those that aren't can't hurt you 'cause they're dead.

Quote:
In a heartbeat. 1 life vs. 10,000/day. Do the math.

Quote:
Have it. The only problem with being blind and deaf is that you can't see or hear. But it's still a kid.

Quote:
Why would I?? BTW, this happened to a friend of my brother-in-law. He spend years on drugs, and was finally found living under a bush by his family & successfully went thru rehab. My brother in law later commented, "Well, at least you have all those great memories," to which the friend reply. "Jim, I can't remember a thing!"

Quote:
Both. Take the money, turn him in, deny any knowledge of the money.

Quote:
The kid that I'm raising is mine. The other kid just had my DNA.

Quote:
Not sure. It'll either be better off or gone.

Quote:
Don't want to know. Wouldn't matter anyway. In Question 1, I've moved to a distant land and will never see them again.

Last edited by Zkribbler; January 19, 2003 at 15:54.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:50   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
So, if you personally had to break a 1 year-olds neck, you wouldn't feel guilty?
If by not doing it I cause the deaths of millions, yes.
It will, of course, be very uncomfortable(to say the least), but no guilt.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:50   #9
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Methinks the child-killers on this thread have no experience with children of their own.
Old January 19, 2003, 15:54   #10
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Methinks the child-killers on this thread have no experience with children of their own.
Is causing the death of one kid "worse" than causing the death of millions only because you are the direct killer, rather than an indirect one?
Old January 19, 2003, 15:57   #11
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
Very true. I'd be surprised at a parent voting to off the kid.

(X-post)
Old January 19, 2003, 15:59   #12
Bas
Prince

1. Yes.
2. No. Yes, if there was a good reason for doing it.
3. Hell yes. Although I'd hate the actual killing part.
4. Have it.
5. Tough one. I guess not.
6. Take the money.
7. Keep the kid.
8. About the same.
9. Hell no.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:04   #13
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I don't see how it is that different from killing an unborn child by abortion. There is a big difference legally and morally, but the end result is the same.

But I agree, I couldn't do it.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:05   #14
Curiosity
Warlord

Yes. If she lives somewhere sunny then I wouldn't even have to love her that deeply. Hell, she wouldn't even have to exist...

Nope, and yes.

Nasty... it would depend on the child. Some people I couldn't harm even at those stakes.

Well I don't much want children, so the poor git is in trouble anyway. Assuming I did want a child then I'd probably go ahead, but it's difficult to put yourself in that position.

Ah, but I intend to do that anyway.
Yes, I guess I would.

Either I'd turn them in or I wouldn't depending on who it was, but the money wouldn't make a difference.
Of course I'd take the 5 mil from them regardless.

Dunno... is it in the habit of puking on the carpet? Just kidding. I'd keep the child, I think.

Either better, or (in a human sense) not here at all. Probably better.

No thanks, I'll preserve the illusion of immortality as long as I can.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:06   #15
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

Is causing the death of one kid "worse" than causing the death of millions only because you are the direct killer, rather than an indirect one?
Since this is a pressing moral issue, I'm assuming the kid is mine or in some way I have a vested emotional attachment to it. As I'm faced with a child I love on one hand versus millions of faceless strangers on the other, I've gotta go with the kid.

You can't even prove to me that those millions of strangers actually exist and you want me to go butcher my baby for them? Err, like, hello? A world of no.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old January 19, 2003, 16:10   #16
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Since this is a pressing moral issue, I'm assuming the kid is mine or in some way I have a vested emotional attachment to it. As I'm faced with a child I love on one hand versus millions of faceless strangers on the other, I've gotta go with the kid.
Well, the OP didnt specify what child it is, so I assumed random, therefore no one you know.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:12   #17
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Do I have to the killing physically myself or is there some sort of machine whose button I just have to press?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old January 19, 2003, 16:15   #18
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

#1: Yes
#2: No, Yes. I do, however, believe in zombies, and hooo baby, are they ever sexy. If there were zombies in the house, then I'd be there in a heartbeat.
#3: No, I'm not much in to cannibalism, and besides, even if the baby weighed several million pounds its death would still be only a temporary solution to world hunger. (Kill a million-pound baby, and you feed the world for a day. Clone a million million-pound babies, and you feed the world for a million days.)
#4: Have the kid. It would probably be a bit more challenging to have a blind/deaf child, but so what? Having any child would be challenging.
#5: Nope.
#6: I'd turn the ****er in. (BTW, in what scenario would I REALLY NEED five million dollars? )
#7: Keep the kid.
#8: Worse, since I'll probably be dead, and a world without loinburger is not a world I want to live in.
#9: I wouldn't want to know the date of my own death, but it might be fun to know the date of my friends'/relatives' deaths -- I could do things like throw darts at them or put them in meat grinders or whatever, just to see them miraculously survive again and again.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:18   #19
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Nasty... it would depend on the child."

Well, that's nice.

Starchild - I think that to make it a better moral dilemma,

a. The child should be yours.
b. You should have to personally kill it.

imho.
Old January 19, 2003, 16:32   #20
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
Yes, No

Quote:
Yes, though I would feel guilt about it for the rest of my life.

Quote:
No. It's not worth the risk to put a child through such a thing.

Quote:
No. Theres no point if I dont remember it....

Quote:
Yes I would. The memory of the homeless person is best served if the money is used to help my family, not if some person gets thrown in jail.

Quote:
Quite simple: I hire someone else to go find my child, and I keep the one year old here.

Quote:
Worse. Though in maybe 1000 itll be better.

Quote:
Yes.
Old January 19, 2003, 18:12   #21
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
I don't see how it is that different from killing an unborn child by abortion. There is a big difference legally and morally, but the end result is the same.
If it was a involuntary abortion you were forcing on someone then there may be some degree of proximity, but it wouldn't be as bad. The post-birth bonding wouldn't have happened.
Old January 19, 2003, 18:18   #22
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Having a kid totally changes your outlook. I'm like an angry bear where kids are concerned these days.

Even if it's not a real event. I had a dream about a month ago where I was the first on the scene of an accident- a bus full of children hit by a landslide. There was a girl about the same age as my daughter (2) trapped by a rock that was crushing her legs. She was whimpering "I'm stuck".

Even with it being a dream, that still makes me want to howl in agony, or kill something. Moral judgements and valuations don't enter into the equation at all- I'd have to beat my brains out against a wall before I could harm a child, whatever the outcome might be.
Old January 19, 2003, 18:23   #23
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Fair enough Laz. I'll probably feel the same way when I have kids.
Old January 19, 2003, 18:23   #24
Paul Hanson
King

I think I'm the only one here who would answer "No" to No. 1.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old January 19, 2003, 18:32   #25
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 09:45
"Question #1:For a person you love deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing that there would be little chance of you ever seeing your family and friends again?"

Probably.

"Question #2: Do you believe in ghost? would you be willing to spend a weekend alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted because death occured there?"

I don't believe in ghosts, and I would be willing to spend said weekend.

"Question #3:Would you be willing to take the life of a child if you knew this would cure world hunger and end starvation?"

No.

"Question #4:You are a couple who is expecting your first child. The doctor tells you that there is a 50 percent chance that the child will be blind and deaf. This is your one and only chance to have a child. Would you give up your only chance of having this child because he/she may be blind and deaf? Or would you take the risk and have it?"

Keep the child.

"Question #5:If you could spend 10 years in perfect happiness--having everything you could possibly want out of life, but afterwards would remember nothing of the experience, would you do it?"

Sure.

"Question #6:A person that you know successfully
completes a robbery. Although he gets away with ten million dollars, a person dies during the robbery. Assuming this person will NEVER get caught and he/she offers you half the money (and you REALLY need the money) to keep quiet, would you take it? Or would you turn him in and get nothing? By the way, the person killed was a homeless person--a John Doe, and had no family."

How bad do I need the money? Do I need it a for a life saving medical operation for someone in my family? If I really needed it and I was confident the robber would never do it again I would do it.

"Question #7:You discover your wonderful one year old child is, because of a mix up, not yours. When you start to search for your own child you are told it will take at least five years to find your child. Futhermore, you are also informed that it is possible that your child is no longer alive. Meanwhile, the one year old will be removed from your home. Do you risk having the only child you know as yours removed from home in order to wait five years to find your own child that may or may not be alive? Or do you just keep the child in your home and say nothing?"

Try to get my real child.

"Question #8: Do you think the world will be better or worse off 100 years from now?"

Worse. The world's population is growing way too fast and it will become harder and harder to sustain it.

"Question #9: Would you like to know the date of your and your relatives/friends deathes? (assuming that you could do nothing to prevent those deaths)."

Yes.
]

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 20, 2003, 04:24   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:45
1. Why couldn't this person move instead?
2. No and why. What is the point? To prove whether there are ghosts or not? Suppose if there were indeed a ghost and it decided not to show up, then what?
3. Yes. This is only interesting if the person to be killed is you.
4. Why is this the only chance?
5. No.
6. Hm, how did the hobo die? Was he shot at point blank in cold blood? Was it an accident during the get-away? Did he just die of a heart attack when the robbery was occuring? What?
7. If he is not my kid, it must be somebody else's. His parents in all likihood would be worried sick about the kid. What right do I have over these poor people? I will return him to his actual parents. Except that if his parents have problems (know abusers, cannot provide for him, etc.) then I may consider keeping him.
8. Better.
9. What is the bloody point?
Old January 20, 2003, 04:34   #27
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:45
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
No, and only if there was a purpose...otherwise I don't see the point.

Quote:
I probably couldn't bring myself to do it, but I think it would be 'for the greater good'.

Quote:
Don't see why not. I'd love him/her either way, and it's still only a coin flip.

Quote:
Sure, why not?

Quote:
No, I would turn him/her in.

Quote:
Search for my child.

Quote:
Better.

Quote:
Absolutely. I'd like to know when I am going...it would motivate me to do certain things ahead of time...it would also tell me when to get the best moments with people that might not be around much longer. I welcome death, I don't fear it.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old January 20, 2003, 05:02   #28
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 07:45
1. no but in fact the oppisite is happening, there is a great diaspora of my friends from the bay area.
2.i dont believe in ghosts and id go to a "haunted" house
3.yes
4.id abort
5.sure!
6. take the money, keep mum
7.give the child up
8.worse
9.sure, then i can prepare to pay my estate taxes.
Old January 20, 2003, 09:02   #29
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
1 - Yes
2 - No and Yes
3 - Yes
4 - Have the kid
5 - Of course. What's the downside?
6 - Show me the money!
7 - Those options suck, I'd do neither of those.
8 - About the same
9 - Of course not.
heh... mine is pretty much the same, apart from 8 - I think it will be worse. And 7 - have the kid I have now, that's life, hope my own has a good life, but the one that is with me is like my own, so that is the decision, I am not saying I might not be thinking what happened to the real one, but in the same way if I gave this 1 YO away I could help thinking what happened to that baby. So suckage like #3, but go with what you have.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.