Old February 6, 2001, 10:34   #1
Dio
Settler

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
SMEDSNET.dll ?? Please help
I haven't played Civ2 for years, but recently have been bitten by the bug again. My CD has disappeared at some point or other in the intervening time and I've changed computers. After a lot of trial and error (I'm not the world's most computer literate person) I managed to copy Civ2 from my original computer to my new one using disks. Trying to play it however gives the masseage "Cannot find SMEDSNET.dll....". My original computer, now the property of my brother, has since had Windows '98 installed on it, and it gives the same error.

Sorry about the life story, but I just wanted to make it clear that I bought and paid for this game (when it was brand new, full price software), this is not a request for help with warez.

Can anyone tell me where I can find this file? I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find it.

Any help very gratefully recieved.

BTW nice forum you've got here.
Old February 6, 2001, 11:50   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

It is an 85Kb file that should live in your Civ2 directory - and is part of the install - not the operating system so should be available from your brother's machine. Have you tried a 'Find File or Folder' command?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old February 6, 2001, 19:48   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Zipped smedsnet on its way ...
I found that it only exists in the SP variants - not in MP - one of those quirks of the build...
You need only be friendly to Scousers for a fortnight

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old February 7, 2001, 01:02   #4
Dio
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-06-2001 10:50 AM
It is an 85Kb file that should live in your Civ2 directory - and is part of the install - not the operating system so should be available from your brother's machine. Have you tried a 'Find File or Folder' command?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yeah I tried find file, its not on that machine. I copied it accross by zipping the directory, so if it had been there it would have come. I'm confused if its part of the game folder, I'd assumed it was a system file that had been removed between windows 3.1 and '98. How its gone missing is something I can't understand.

Is there any chance you could do me a huge favour and email it to me? (zackypasha@aol.com) Like I said I've tried God knows how many Civ2 sites and DLL archives and can't find it.

If you do this wimpy Southerner promises never to tell another Scouser joke in his life

Old February 7, 2001, 08:24   #5
Dio
Settler

Thanks a lot, that was very kind of you.

Be-nice-to-a-Scouser fortnight starts today...
Old February 12, 2001, 18:39   #6
Chaos Warrior

I remember that in 1996 I found a PAtch for Civ2 on a PC mag's CD... I hadn't bought the game yet, so I installed it just on my HD to see what game files I would get... I think it included a rules.txt, but I didn't know how interesting that file is back to then, so I just executed the CIV2.EXE... what did it say? "can't find SMEDSNET.DLL in the directory"

my first experience with Civ2 was a missing smedsnet.dll!!

Old February 13, 2001, 21:10   #7
Dio
Settler

lol Well I've now got Smedsnet.dll, then it wanted WinG, found that and others it needed on the net, so now I've progressed to just getting a general protection fault...

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just see if I can buy a copy *sigh* just as soon as I manage to get enough space on my credit card for such extravegences...