Old January 28, 2001, 08:04   #1
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Switching when in Riots
Ok last night, one of my bases was thrust into drone riots and I received a tech the same turn. Realising that the minerals the rioting base was producing would be far better spent on the new facility made available (sadly I can't remember details, I was quite tired at the time), I changed production. And didn't get penalised for it, despite the fact I already had over 10 minerals in place. I thought I'd ask if this has been seen before, before I maybe haul out the scenario editor.

Plus, what does it mean when one of my drones isn't just dull red, but bright scarlet?

This, incidentally, has been the first game the AI busted me (I almost never have the charter repealed. Didn't this game, but H'minee had very little to lose being at peace only with Miriam). I lost my HQ, HSA, VW and WP at least. And no-one is anywhere near ODP.
Old January 28, 2001, 08:51   #2
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 07:02
I do not think the riots should matter. Did the base have Skunkworks, by any chance? Bases with Skunkworks can change production without penalty.

As for the drone colour, well, opinions are divided. Some say the bright red drones are superdrones that require twice as much psych to pacify. Others say that the colour is random, and what matters is whether the drone is male or female. To make matters worse, I think I have seen it work both ways (!) so it may even be a version/computer thing...

Your PB tale reminds me of the first time I was busted. Santiago exploited the infinite missile range bug to lob a buster 23 squares at my base with the Cloning Vats and Ascetic Virtues. And I was running Power/Thought Control at the time! The sudden loss of Police, Industry and Support ratings meant that my production died and more than half my bases went into riots...
Old January 29, 2001, 08:19   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 05:02
Yet more undocumented features. Yes, the base did have a skunkworks - I never knew it eliminated the switching cost. Is that just for units or for all builds? If for all, I might have to take a closer look at them.

This has been a very strange game all round, really. A few hundred turns ago, Tachyon weapons were widely available, but no-one had fusion or silksteel! I myself got Shard before Silksteel, Tachyon and Chaos.