Old January 23, 2003, 09:50   #1
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 14:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New science victory
New science victory

As you all know I have my little pet scenario going and I had the idea of introducing a new science victory and was wondering what you lot though about it.

The idea of the new victory is to escape a dying planet.

Right there are four components need to convert each city into a space ship

1. Ship parts

2. Hyper driver

3. ground spike

4. Weather control device

5. Ship upgrades

Ship upgrades are optional but give a better successes chance.

When all you cities have ship parts a hyper drive and ground spike you can activate the controller and win the game.

However that is to simple you need the weather control devices which take the place in the game as a Gaia obelisk. Without the weather control device you can’t change the weather and with out a clear section of weather you can’t take off.

Ship upgrades on the other hand prevent your ships hyper drives from exploding so it is advised you make them.

So what you think
Old January 23, 2003, 22:24   #2
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 07:58
lets see what u can do and then everyone can decide if this idea is significant
Old January 23, 2003, 22:48   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
Sounds good so far though...
Old January 23, 2003, 22:59   #4
Tamerlin
King

Local Time: 16:58
I am a bit dubitative about the Weather controller but the idea sounds good.
Old January 23, 2003, 23:48   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
Depends how well it fits in with the rest of the scenario. How hard is it to complete? Can the AI do it? Is it fun to complete or just monotonous? I think the original Gaia victory is just fun, anymore time on it and it would be a pain in the arse.

go for it
Old January 24, 2003, 04:28   #6
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Great idea. What happens to those left behind on the "dying planet" though?
Old January 24, 2003, 05:57   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The clue I believe is in the "dying".
Old January 24, 2003, 06:52   #8
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Old January 24, 2003, 08:06   #9
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Re: New science victory
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc

1. Ship parts

2. Hyper driver

3. ground spike

4. Weather control device

5. Ship upgrades

Ship upgrades are optional but give a better successes chance.

When all you cities have ship parts a hyper drive and ground spike you can activate the controller and win the game.

So what you think
Sounds nice, but...........

Weather Control device: Would only needed for a region. Or is the aim to launch all at the same time?
If not, could be nice to see cities disappearing into nowhere
Also do all cities need to participate?
Old January 24, 2003, 09:36   #10
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
The clue I believe is in the "dying".
So many unemployed comedians in the world – and now you too! You really crack me up.

Allow me to rephrase (for the peanut gallery): The planet’s dying (supposedly caused by wombat infestation). You feverishly build a spaceship to save the species. You finish it. You win. You feel so good about yourself. You tell all your friends and family. But now there’s a little box on the screen and it says: "Would you like to continue playing?" Now what? I thought the planet was dying? Do you kill pops/cities/units using SLIC, or do you pretend it was all a bad dream and forget about it?
Old January 24, 2003, 11:14   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ah... I see your point. Good question. Kill them all off I guess I'm sure you could whip-up a global flooding/dead tiling of sorts, or kill off 50% of every cities pop, and have a whale of a time killing the planet.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:12   #12
ToonGoon
Settler

Local Time: 06:58
I like the general idea. Inexplicably, I find the weather control devices to be too contrived a concept...(I know, I know, there needs to be some suspension of disbelief)...It just doesn't seem to be *crucial enough*...Does this make any sense to anyone but myself?! To go the route of any sci-fi you coudl make up something pretty out there, yet critical to launching the the ship itself. I can think of two options off the top of my head...

1) The ship is so massive that it would criush itself under its own weight so "Structural Field Generators" are required to maintain a electromagnetic scaffolding around the ship to prevent it's collapse.

2) The towers are "Ion-Field Thrust Multipliers/Generators". These are required to get the behemoth off the ground and out beyond earth's gravity.

Both of these woudl be required to placed at numerous location on the map due to the fact that they either run off of geothermal energy from the earth's core or the fields they generate can't overlap too much....

You can also add the appropriate "scientific" names to the fields i.e. The "Heglerberg Ion-Field generator"

That's my 0.2....
"...the aim of most scientists is to know more and more about less and less, and to describe what it is they know in terms of such precision as to be virtually incomprehensible to their colleagues, let alone the general public."
Old January 25, 2003, 09:13   #13
Devil of Truth
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
...I'm sure you could whip-up a global flooding/dead tiling of sorts, or kill off 50% of every cities pop, and have a whale of a time killing the planet.
Yeah, I thought so. Sounds fun . But then... what’s the reward for building the spaceship? The planet’s gonna open a can of whupass as soon as you do. So, rather win by other means. (Unless at a predetermined date the planet goes kablam anyway – spaceship or no.)

Damn ToonGoon! Great ideas. One question though: if weather manipulation warrants a suspension of disbelief, what would "Structural Field Generators" and "Ion-Field Thrust Multipliers/Generators" require?
Old January 25, 2003, 15:51   #14
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I never liked the Gaia victory much because of the obelisks having to cover so much of the world. You'd have to have conquered half the world for it to be useful, or be allied with everyone, or build sea cities everywhere if you had lots of sea. That turned the science victory into a half-science/half-conquest or half-science/half-diplomatic victory.
Make it so it can be won OCC. I never did OCC in CtP2 because you can't even hope of a science victory without territory.

Instead of requiring obelisks production, make the path to science victory hard (little or no units/improvements along that path) and make city improvements expensive.

Be careful of a nasty strategy: "I give you all my cities except the one in which I built my spaceship". I'd probably use it.
Old January 27, 2003, 13:05   #15
ToonGoon
Settler

Local Time: 06:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Devil of Truth
One question though: if weather manipulation warrants a suspension of disbelief, what would "Structural Field Generators" and "Ion-Field Thrust Multipliers/Generators" require?
DoT that was why I felt odd writing that I didn't like the "weather controllers". So, yes, all these things require a massive injection of "Disbelief-B-Gone". The point I was trying make, albeit not too clearly, was that the "weather controllers" seem to be added simply to make the obelisks have a pupose. I was attempting to give a more intergral, crucial purpose to the towers....
"...the aim of most scientists is to know more and more about less and less, and to describe what it is they know in terms of such precision as to be virtually incomprehensible to their colleagues, let alone the general public."
Old January 27, 2003, 13:29   #16
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Right then where to start with these 14 post I have been given

Whether control devices

Yes the victory needs weather control devices this is because of the so called ground spike.

Think of this device as one hell of a big space ladder when the ship is reedy the space ladder allows the ship to clime to space (it is made out of high Tec smart materials so it can hold to strain).

The weather control device comes into it because of the ship when the ship climbs into space any wind that hit the ship including the jet stream is more then likely going to destroy it.

Occ

Yes it is one city able you sea the only way to integrate such a system must use slic to tell the computer when all of the civ cities have all the components it needs to take off. This allows for a one city civ having a speed advantage.

Ps ones you get the advance all trading of cities is cancelled.

Dying planet

Yes the planet is dying but there are planes to evacuate all living people from all your colony before you take off.

The planet it self will auto destruct any way after a set time has passed.

Old January 28, 2003, 07:53   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

You can do an OCC science victory because you can plant the T-imps in allies territories. If you ally with the leader, and maybe one other, you can get all the territory you need. (although you might as well go for diplo victory, where's the fun in that?)
Old January 29, 2003, 05:25   #18
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Wrong again wombat.

You are forgetting fortifications and underwater fortifications that let you billed the tile imps in you own territory ones the area has been scouted out.
Old January 29, 2003, 05:38   #19
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Oh and I forgot to say that the area covered by weather control is 8 times bigger as apposed to gaia.
Old January 29, 2003, 05:59   #20
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Not so much wrong as incomplete.
Old January 29, 2003, 06:05   #21
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

ok

I am spell checking the great GL and will post them when I have finished them.
Old January 29, 2003, 06:22   #22
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I have done the gl entries for everything need for the science victory I hope you understand some things you may not have got better.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Gl strings

Hyper drive

Game play

The hyper drive is a device designed to move the gargantuan colony ship ones it reaches space. The hyper drive is a needed part of the science victory, as all cities must own one.

Historical

The hyper drive is the beating hart of any space city capable of generate fast resonating chronotrons which when fired in the needed direction creating a subspace corridor linking the destination with the start point for a limited time.

The direction of these corridors is easy but the length took scientist months to figure out and it was all about resonation. When these chronotrons lose there initial resonance the subspace corridor ends and a space city would immerge into normal space. With increased resonance the chronotrons would last longer extending the corridor.

Life support

Game play

This is a needed part of the science victory. It is possible however fro the colony ships to escape the planet without this however with no oxygen recycling the crew would soon perish.

Historical

The invention of gaia brought with it the possibility of a true life support system. The theory went that c02 would be used as a gaia reactant to produce oxygen. This allowed for the gargantuan colony ships to breath.

Living quarters

Game play

This part of the ship is needed to support the crew of the colony ships. It is a needed part of the science fiction ending.

Historical

The myth that the colony ships were initial throw together is total un factual. Living quarters were added to the ships these include shops and restaurants. These living quarters were a need moral boost as well as advantages for balancing of the colony ship for the movement up the ground spike.

Structure

Game play
This part combines all the components needed for the science fiction victory without the item the victory is impossible.

Historical

The structure of the colony ships were maid up of supper smart material these materials were made using a gaia controller to make special materials that occurred rarely in nature the structure of the large ships were both light and strong.

Weather control

Game play

Weather control devices are a needed part of the science victory. Weather control devices are used to make sure conditions are perfect for the ascension of the colony ships

Historical

With the birth of the concept of the colony ships to escape the doomed alpha century one thing was a problem the weather. Zero g emitters as well as structural integrity fields could keep the gargantuan colony ship in one piece however with the large surface area of the colony ship the smallest jet stream could bend or break the ground spike and even with a million zero g reactors the colony ships could not stop from crashing into the ground. The answer to this was to control the weather. Weather control is not hard in fact it is very easy preventing it raining here rain a little there and you change the weather.

Ground spike

Game play

The ground spike is the ultimate space leader capable of hoisting the heavy colony ships into orbit. It is made out of revolution new smart materials. The ground spike is a required section of the science victory

History

When gaia was activated on earth as well as starting a war it introduced a new form of science un natural elements. This elements do not appear in nature but with the user of a gaia control core scientist on alpha century were able to generate special elements as well as isotopes that when combined made extremely help full alloys and smart materials.

The ground spikes where made from these supper smart materials the ground spike design was based on the first orbital lift which was developed to allow quick accesses to space we the intent of making the alpha one colony ship to transport people to alpha century.

Safety buffers

Game play
This item is not necessary however the hyper drive has a 30% chance of destruction without it. For every one of these constructed the hyper drive destruction rate will reduce by 10% to a 20% chance of destruction. a maximum of 3 can be constructed.

historical

the hyper drives needed to be maintained to keep the hyper drive in working order safety buffers where installed these prevented the destruction of the hyper drive by splitting the hyper drive in to three. These components were stored independently of each other. The term safety buffer refers to one third of the hyper drive as three buffers were need to guaranty the safety of the hyper drive.

Integration

Game play
Integration is nee to add al city improvements to a space colony.

Historical

With the making of colony ships many building in the city were needed to be transferred to the colony ship. The concept of integration allowed the constructors to put a price onto the cost of integrating into the ship.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Old February 5, 2003, 05:48   #23
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Well the integration of this lot into the new science victory I just need some volunteers to test it. I will package it up with the wombat’s one city challenge and possibly with one of my old maps to allow the testing of these components of the mod.
Old February 6, 2003, 09:18   #24
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Well I will keep displaying any problems I find. Even if no one has talk to me in days about this thread.

So fare I have two problems

. The weather control emitters are two powerful and cover a small map with only one.

. two the hyper drive was originally going to take the place of power satellites as every time my hyper drive is finished a piece of code wipes it out of my city and I have to build a new one.

Any ideas
Old February 6, 2003, 11:23   #25
Devil of Truth
Prince

I don’t have much time to play CTP2 right now , but I would like to see your mod. Send it along please.
Old February 6, 2003, 11:39   #26
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

it aint finished yet
Old February 6, 2003, 11:47   #27
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

but I think I got past the hyper drive problem and the gaia obelisks problem so I will kill all the errors this weekend and see about a test then if you will help.

What if when you have finished the hyper drive we make a few barrels of the resonating chronotrons and then they are the Gaia power satellites does making a successful work around.
Old February 6, 2003, 13:45   #28
Tamerlin
King

I must first test a SAP2 game with the Unit Updater2 designed by Peter Trigg, as soon as it is finished (though I have no idea when) I can test your mod (though I am not interested in a one city challenge).
Old February 6, 2003, 13:59   #29
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Great I will put you down for my map to test it on.
Old February 12, 2003, 05:15   #30
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Well I just got to pack my tec and units with buildings into a mod and we are reedy to test..