staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Updated...
Old February 3, 2003, 08:44   #92
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:03
What? No! You cant leave me alone.
Old February 3, 2003, 08:46   #93
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'll switch to this one then...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	35833  
Old February 3, 2003, 08:47   #94
Eli
Emperor

And I should really get the game already.
Old February 3, 2003, 08:59   #95
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
What? No! You cant leave me alone.
You would still be able to connect to him with a bridge

Do It Ourselves
Old February 3, 2003, 13:11   #96
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:03
Yep, the way it is before your switch is you and I are connected. But Actually if you select that new one, then all of a sudden Osweld is also connected to the rest of us. So it's really your call.

EDIT: Oh, I see ADG's already moved you... So, never mind.
Spore page
Old February 3, 2003, 14:38   #97
Eli
Emperor

Is there a way to make "sleeper-cities"?

So that after couple centuries when our cities are all developed and there isn't much left to do we'll take more free spots on the map and develop them too?
Old February 3, 2003, 15:31   #98
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I'm not sure what you mean with "sleeper-cities"? Do you mean, that we reserve the other free spots now?

Couldn't we just say, the first one, to finish his city (using all space, etc), can choose a spot to continiue the game. Then when another one finishes his city, he may choose a new spot, etc...
Old February 3, 2003, 16:17   #99
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, I would think that "sleeper-cities" would be what is called bedroom communities in english. At least that would be the literal translation from Russian. I would think that that might be also the case for Eli's native language.

As for the question itself, yes, you can pretty much make those. As long as you don't build industry or a lot of commerce in your city, it will develop into a bedroom community. It will be full of one-story buildings, with the wealth of residents depending on how well you supply them with services, and how far away the nearest job is. So, if the industry and the commerce are all in immedate neighboring cities, and the people can commute easily, then they will live in your city. Mass transit is therefore key, since the people don't travel far by car, and also you want to keep the air exceptionally clean so that the people would prefer the clean city + inevitably long commute over short commute + pollution. But subways are too expensive, so the way to go would be buses, and rail stations.

Note, however, that it is relatively hard to balance your budget in such a city, since industry and commerce for one make more profit, and for another don't require the stuff residents need - hospitals, schools, etc.. So, unless there are lots of vacancies in neighboring cities, it might be a bit hard to create a bedroom community that makes a profit.
Spore page
Old February 4, 2003, 01:27   #100
Eli
Emperor

ADG got it right.
Old February 4, 2003, 08:15   #101
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Vovansim >> Strange, I think it's easier to make a bedroom community...

Eli >> Wow, I got something right... sensation
Old February 4, 2003, 15:45   #102
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Seems like we have everything settled now: Lots of players has reserved a spot in the game, and the turn is set to two years (so keep an eye on the date)... is there anything we're missing?

If not, then should we say we play the first turn now, having it played til Friday? Or did I forget something?

Btw, for neighbor connections (with roads, railroads, highways), talk to your neigbor. About the neigbor deals, let's see how it works, then we set the rules for this later...
Old February 4, 2003, 16:12   #103
Eli
Emperor

Hopefully, I will have the game by Friday.
Old February 4, 2003, 23:39   #104
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 10:03
I'm ready to start.
Old February 5, 2003, 00:28   #105
vovan
Emperor

I think we need to decide how we are going to deal with distributing the files once we play our two years. They seem to be too large for an attachment - over 500K, substantially. And besides, it might be a pain to download for those on dial-up connections. (I have DSL, but hey there might be those on 56k )
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; February 6, 2003 at 19:06.
Old February 5, 2003, 03:45   #106
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

We could use my ftp, though it's only open 10 hours a day... often less, seldom more..
Old February 5, 2003, 03:46   #107
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Hopefully, I will have the game by Friday.
You just play your turn, when you have the game...
Old February 5, 2003, 04:45   #108
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
You just play your turn, when you have the game...
Which raises a question. How does MP work?
Old February 5, 2003, 05:40   #109
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

The only "MP" that's in the game, is that cities affect neigbor cities (If you're living next to a city with lots of Sims, they might not want to move to your city, but this gives you the opputinity to raise money on Commercial or Industry, without the need for Sims...

Sure it's hard to call it "MP", but it's the closest way to have MP at present time...
Old February 5, 2003, 06:20   #110
Eli
Emperor

But how exactly are we going to play the game?

Send the entire region to the next player and have him play his city for 2 years and then send to the next one?
Old February 5, 2003, 07:44   #111
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

No, you just play your city, send the city file. When everybody has played their city, we import all cities in their correct positions...
Old February 5, 2003, 08:54   #112
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
They seem to be too large for an attachment - over 500K, substantially.

Even zipped?

Do It Ourselves
Old February 5, 2003, 09:30   #113
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:03
Interesting idea... I don't think I like it though.
Old February 6, 2003, 12:39   #114
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Just wanted to say, that I might not make my turn before tomorow. The last few days, I have spent endless hours at school to finish our school project
Old February 6, 2003, 15:14   #115
Eli
Emperor

Weehee! I'll have the game tommorow.
Old February 6, 2003, 19:08   #116
vovan
Emperor

So, where do we send the city file when we are done with our turn? And also, when is the next turn "due"? And what would be the time limit (in RL) for the people to submit their cities at each turn?
Spore page
Old February 6, 2003, 20:22   #117
vovan
Emperor

Any ways, I have played the first two years in my city.

See the attached archive for the file. (Note that right now, that the city is really small, it fits as an attachment, but as it grows, it will become too large to fit.)

Most notably, I have connected by roads to Eli, and ADG. So, ADG, if you haven't done your city yet, could you download mine first, and play with it on the map? So that we would have the road connections at the same places. Otherwise, my connections might come up in undesirable places for you. And Eli, when you get the game, could you do the same, please?

Here are the quick stats:

City: Vovanburg
Population: 113
Industrial jobs: 0
Commercial jobs: 44
Cash: $85,661
Profit: -$400

As you can see, I am developing a bedroom community + commercial district. So, if either ADG, or Eli could start on some industry for my sims to work at, that would be awesome.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip city - vovanburg.zip (371.5 KB, 3 views)
Spore page
Old February 6, 2003, 22:14   #118
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

City Name: Kregston

Population: 1950
Industrial Jobs: 590
Comercial Jobs: 290

Kregston is a flourishing city that was founded only two years ago in the foot of the mountains next to Kregston Harbour. The factories and residents of Kregston get their electricity from windmills built high up on the mountains. Already kregston has a fully functional school, an excellant mass transit system (with a rail network under construction), and a water tower to provide it's residents with clean and safe water to drink.

This is Kregston's developing industrial sector and, as you can see, our rail system is already being put in place. We also have plans for the construction of a seaport here in the coming years, to open Kregston up to new buisness opportunities.

This is the scenic harbour-front residential area, where all the very posh and trendy sims live. (and humble I might add, as you can see from their modest homes)

Here you can see the newly constructed church, and the planned development for the harbour front. It is rumoured that the Mayor will soon be building his home here aswell!

This is downtown Kregston, where you can see our new school (which has yet to be named) and the large park and basketball court that is provided for our young sims.

And no, those homes aren't abandoned... the residents are merely on vacations provided to them from their excellent and well paid jobs in the industial district. Really.

You can download it here.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 6, 2003, 22:17   #119
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
As you can see, I am developing a bedroom community + commercial district. So, if either ADG, or Eli could start on some industry for my sims to work at, that would be awesome.
It is a good thing you aren't my neighbor. I wouldn't want people stealing the jobs of honest, hard working Kregstoners.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 6, 2003, 23:42   #120
vovan
Emperor

Osweld. You don't believe in starting nice and slow, do you? It seems that your city is about ten times as advanced as mine is... For now. As soon as I get my sims educated, and build some high-tech... But in defense of "stealing jobs" as you called it: it's really doing more good to the owner of the industries than bad. They get all the profit from the industries, but don't have to support the workers... So, it's so much more easy cash for them.

But actually the main reason I did that was to have some interaction between cities. After all, if we have neighboring cities, but they are isolated, then what's the point of this game? No, regional interaction is key to fun MP, IMO.

EDIT: Just downloaded your city. Very nice, and definitely a much more aggressive start than mine.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; February 6, 2003 at 23:51.