Old January 24, 2003, 14:22   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
...I hear voices....
Seriously.

Right before I begin dreaming, I hear voices. They seem like they are coming from an outside source right next to me. It only happens occasionally (once every two weeks maybe) but....What could it mean?

Thanks.
Old January 24, 2003, 14:24   #2
OneFootInTheGrave
King

That you have a speaking toy under your pillow.

Or maybe that Russia is going to be grat power again

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old January 24, 2003, 14:28   #3
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 17:04
Tell your Neighbours to stop Talking..
In Fact you can make them Stop Talking by yourself just liek I did...
Old January 24, 2003, 14:41   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 10:04
I don't want to alarm you, but might it be the voice of reason?
Old January 24, 2003, 15:01   #5
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:04
maybe you have sleep paralysis
Old January 24, 2003, 15:06   #6
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 18:04
Gangerwolf, I have had sleep paralysis couple of times, it's not fun .. Thank God it's rare and happens maybe once in 6 months or so. It's horror .
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old January 24, 2003, 15:18   #7
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:04
I have it about once a week.

It's usually like this: I'm awake but can't move or open my eyes. Only thing I can control is my breathing. I hear buzzing sounds.
It lasts for a minute or so.
Old January 24, 2003, 15:32   #8
Pekka
Emperor

Gangerwolf, same thing, can't move, and usually I'm in a strange position to begin with. And that buzzing sound is very uncomfortable.. the first time I got it and didn't know what it was.. it was horror. I still don't like it, it feels so weird and I don't get it right away what's going on. I don't panic anymore, since I know what's going on though..
Old January 24, 2003, 15:38   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Well, my psychiatrist says it could be several possibilites:

-Because it only happens when I'm dead tired and almost asleep, it could be my imagination.
-I may have a thyroid problem.
-My depression may be getting so bad that I have psychotic symptoms associated with it.
-I may be a schizophrenic.
Old January 24, 2003, 15:41   #10
Pekka
Emperor

You know Tass, it can very well be that first option too. You're in a state where you're not exactly sleeping, but not exactly awake either..
Old January 24, 2003, 15:42   #11
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
You know Tass, it can very well be that first option too. You're in a state where you're not exactly sleeping, but not exactly awake either..
Yes, and because I'm only hearing my own thoughts being echoed, I believe thats probably it.
Old January 24, 2003, 15:46   #12
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah.. I wouldn't be too worried about it.. if it's someone elses voice telling you to kill someone, then I'd be worried .
Old January 24, 2003, 17:23   #13
Curiosity
Warlord

Your psychiatrist told you it could be a thyroid problem?? Anyone know how that works?

If your therapist doesn't already know whether or not you're schizophrenic then I'd look for a new one. But it sounds like sleep paralysis, only a bit too specific?
Old January 24, 2003, 17:57   #14
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity
But it sounds like sleep paralysis, only a bit too specific?
No, because

1. Its not really that intense.
2. Its not uncontrollable.
3. Its not paralysis.

I get home, I'm tired, I put my head on the pillow...And if I'm thinking about, say, about the conversation I had with a co worker and I begin thinking alternate endings.....I begin to hear what I'm thinking. So if it goes like this:

ME: Hi.
CW: Hi.
ME: How are you?
CW: Fine. How are you?
ME: Fine. How goes things?
CW: Good. How goes things?
ME: Good.

Then I'll begin to actually hear it going on in my head. Then if I open my eyes it all quickly goes away (or if I roll to the other side of my body. Any major movement seems to stop it).
Old January 24, 2003, 17:59   #15
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

You could be the new Joan of Arc Tass!
Old January 24, 2003, 18:01   #16
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 17:04
nearly every morning a band of birds come "picking" on my window, very handy as I have my own 'nature' clock now...

I don't understand though, every day at the same time, for a limited period of time, and then they're off again!!!

the fact that there aren't many birds around (winter) atm also makes me bit suspicious
Old January 24, 2003, 18:12   #17
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
You could be the new Joan of Arc Tass!
Old January 24, 2003, 18:30   #18
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

She claimed to have heard voices in her head
Old January 24, 2003, 18:40   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:04
I've had many similiar experiences like this when I was younger (between 9-17 years old). However, I was not paralized. I was able to move but all sound was magnified 100 times (for example, ruffling my sheets would sound like a paper bag being crumpled), and yes, I too heard voices - voices that would start out whispering to me then turn into screaming at me and then back down again to whispers. My eye sight was also effected. I would look at the corner of my ceiling, and it would look like I was viewing the corner form 2-inches away...very disturbing.
My parents took me in for many check-ups. The doctors called it "tunnel vision" however, this didn't explain my hightend hearing and hearing sounds that were not there.

I haven't had this experience for years now...

you know, at times I will lay in bed and think about those experiences...and actually miss them!

Last edited by Wittlich; January 25, 2003 at 12:30.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:49   #20
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 12:04
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old January 24, 2003, 20:30   #21
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I've had many had similiar experiences like when I was younger (between 9-17 years old). However, I was not paralized. I was able to move but all sound was magnified 100 times (for example, ruffling my sheets would sound like a paper bag being crumpled), and yes, I too heard voices - voices that would start out whispering to me then turn into screaming at me and then back down again to whispers. My eye sight was also effected. I would look at the corner of my ceiling, and it would look like I was viewing the corner form 2-inches away...very disturbing.
My parents took me in for many check-ups. The doctors called it "tunnel vision" however, this didn't explain my hightned hearing and hearing sounds that were not there.
Oh, that must be horrifying.
Old January 24, 2003, 21:05   #22
Blackwidow24
Queen

Well Tass they say when you are closer to sleep your mind is more open to the spiritual world.

YOu may be hearing spirits dwelling in your house speaking to you when your brain reaches that subconsciuos level.

Ohhhhhh scary
Old January 24, 2003, 21:07   #23
Blackwidow24
Queen

they are all around us...MMwwwwuuahahahaah

Watching us, following us...always watching..always watching......
Old January 24, 2003, 21:09   #24
Nubclear

All the spirits then are, I suppose, communists
Old January 24, 2003, 21:11   #25
Blackwidow24
Queen

Maybe where you live

I actually come from a long line of Indian Medicine Women and have had many frightening encounters with the "unknown"
Old January 24, 2003, 21:11   #26
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
schizophrenia

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 24, 2003, 21:15   #27
Blackwidow24
Queen

Hee hee

that usually happens when you are awake..you of all people should know that AH
Old January 24, 2003, 21:16   #28
Nubclear

..........the communists talk to me at night......

I've gone MAD!!!
Old January 24, 2003, 21:21   #29
Blackwidow24
Queen

what do they say?? Just curious can you rememeber?
One night while in bed, me and my mate were laying in bed chit chatting about nothing special, when the both of us heard a small child's voice right next to our bed..while we understoood perfect what it had said..the next second we couldn't remember. It was errie.. The both of us held our breath to see if we would hear anything else.. but that was it. Then when we were all excited talking about it we couldn't rememeber what it had said! And the strange thing is It came from my side of the bed but it was loud enough that he heard it as well.
Old January 24, 2003, 21:33   #30
Nubclear

Sigh

For the last time:

They do what I think. If I'm thinking of someone yelling "America suxors" over and over again, itll do that. If I begin thinking of someone walking into the room and yelling "America roxors", itll do that. If I think of both of them doing it, then itll do that.

It doesnt ever take a life of its own.