Old January 25, 2003, 05:52   #1
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 16:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Any word on minimum system requirements?
The question- am I going to need a new PC to run this game?
Old January 25, 2003, 06:06   #2
ShivaX
Settler

Local Time: 15:06
I forget the exact requirements, but heres my POS system, and I know I can run it.

P400, 256 MB RAM, TNT2 Ultra

If you can't do better than my system... well maybe it IS time to look into a new computer.
ShivaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 08:38   #3
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
I believe the specs were 300mgz min and you don't need a kick ass vid card.

I know I got the min specs,

Davor
Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 08:40   #4
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Mmmmm....I'm running a P600 with 128Mb RAM and a Voodoo 3. It's the RAM that might pose a problem.
Old January 25, 2003, 08:47   #5
Yolky
Prince

I am shure the min specs are exactly the same for Civ 3.

I can't remeber if it's 128 or 64 though

Davor
Old January 25, 2003, 08:53   #6
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Found it-

"P2 266, with 64meg of RAM. (that's too get the game running adaquetely, not optimally)"
Old January 25, 2003, 09:08   #7
wildman45
Settler

Windows® :

300 MHz Pentium II or better
128 MB RAM
8X or faster CD-ROM
400 MB Hard Drive Space
Direct X 8.0 Compatible Video Card (must be able to display 800x600x16bit)
DirectX 8.0 Compatible Sound Card
8 Player Network Play via TCP/IP (LAN or Internet)
Windows 98/ME/XP
Macintosh® :

G3 Macintosh - 300 MHz or Better
Macintosh OS 8.6 or Better
128 MB RAM
CD ROM 8X or Better
TCP/IP Internet capable connection for Multiplayer Play

Last edited by wildman45; January 25, 2003 at 09:56.
wildman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 09:14   #8
Asha'Man
Settler

Mac Requirements
Does anyone know what the requirements will be for the Mac?
And whether the game willrequire 1024x768 resolution?

Thanks in advance, JJ
Asha'Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 09:38   #9
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 10:06
Now the real question: Will MP be playable by dialup connections to the internet? (Unlike another recent IG offering, which will remain nameless.... )
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Gyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 10:30   #10
viciouscycle
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:06
Location: Topeka (ancient American Indian term for "bubbling pit of hell")
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Mmmmm....I'm running a P600 with 128Mb RAM and a Voodoo 3. It's the RAM that might pose a problem.
Hey, that's my system too. I have been meaning to upgrade to 256 Mb RAM for awhile now and this looks like the perfect excuse... you know, just to make sure the game runs well. I hate being at the absolute minimum requirements.

@Lazarus and the Gimp: You lucky, lucky, lucky son of a TT racer! I would LOVE to be there on the Isle of Man for the TT. Sigh......
Old January 25, 2003, 20:40   #11
Darkrenown
Chieftain

Re: Mac Requirements
Quote:
Originally posted by Asha'Man
Does anyone know what the requirements will be for the Mac?
And whether the game willrequire 1024x768 resolution?

Thanks in advance, JJ
No, Moo3 is in 800 x 600 resolution.
Darkrenown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 22:46   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Laz: What type of ram does your comp take? If it is sdram, perhaps buying another 128 stick might be worthwhile, you will see improvements in performance with almost everything you do on the comp.
Old January 26, 2003, 10:06   #13
Yolky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by viciouscycle

Hey, that's my system too. I have been meaning to upgrade to 256 Mb RAM for awhile now and this looks like the perfect excuse... you know, just to make sure the game runs well. I hate being at the absolute minimum requirements.
You are not running at min regquirments if you have 600mhz. I have a P300celeron and 128 ram. that is min requirments.

I can play Civ3 ok so I guess Moo3 should be no problem since it is hopefully made better than Civ3

Davor
Old January 26, 2003, 11:09   #14
viciouscycle
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Yolky

You are not running at min regquirments if you have 600mhz. I have a P300celeron and 128 ram. that is min requirments.

I can play Civ3 ok so I guess Moo3 should be no problem since it is hopefully made better than Civ3

Davor
128 Mb RAM is the minimum system requirement I was referring to.
Old January 26, 2003, 11:32   #15
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I could play Civ3 but the wait between turns was utterly unacceptable. Since most reports indicated that even with state of the art computers the wait was still unacceptably long I didn't consider an upgrade, deleted Civ3 and move on.

Does anyone know if Moo3 will suffer this problem. I doubt it anyone coould muck it up as bad as Firaxis did, but you never know.
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2003, 11:52   #16
Yolky
Prince

I see what you mean Vic. Me sorry

I havn't herd anything Jimmy but since all the goodies were deleted or taken out from the game because it wasn't fun I bleive the lag between turns will not be like Civ3 since that wouldn't be fun but I am just guessing.

I can 't see this bieng a piss poor game like Civ3 was with all the delays they had. I am shure they wanted an excellent product that would not need patching up.

Davor

ps the patched that will come out will be from what us the community want, eg naming systems, etc.
Old January 26, 2003, 13:03   #17
viciouscycle
Chieftain

No worries, Yolky.

I agree in part about Civ3 being a poor game. But there has already been so much written by so many others regarding the good, bad, and ugly of Civ3 that I will avoid further comment.

I have high expectations for MOO3 and eagerly await the release. Maybe next week? Maybe two weeks from now? Ugh... hopefully we don't have to wait a whole month.

Of course once MOO3 is available it will go under a microscope because of all the hype surrounding it and the previous troubles with the release dates. There will be people who jump all over the game and scream about how lousy it is and there will be others who will praise it as the greatest game ever made. As for me... I want to play it now as much for the simple pleasure of gaming as for the curiosity of seeing what it's like after all the hoopla.
Old January 26, 2003, 15:11   #18
DeadDireWolf
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by viciouscycle
There will be people who jump all over the game and scream about how lousy it is and there will be others who will praise it as the greatest game ever made. As for me... I want to play it now as much for the simple pleasure of gaming as for the curiosity of seeing what it's like after all the hoopla.
I'm with you on that one.
DeadDireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2003, 16:45   #19
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 17:06
Does anyone know if it can run in a window?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 06:24   #20
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
Does anyone know if it can run in a window?
I'm afraid it won't, so I can't play it at work, and Alt-Tab when my boss comes round the corner...

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 11:12   #21
DavesWorld
Settler

ODG, if your system can't run MOO3 it means you need to upgrade more often than once every five years.

The sysreqs for this game are absurdly low.
DavesWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 11:58   #22
darcy
Warlord

You know, the gamers who DO upgrade often are a small but very vocal minority. It's good to see that the developers slowly begin to realize where the dollar/euro lies: Games like Zoo Tycoon rule the charts not because they are so great but because they have reasonable system requirements. Looks like Moo3 is on the right track here.
darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 18:53   #23
DavesWorld
Settler

Darcy, you act like a new computer costs a fortune.

A new box is US$300-500. That's absurdly cheap for the central component in a hobby that you could get thousands of hours a year out of (if you choose to play that much). That one box will last you 18months. This is a *cheap* hobby. How many hobbies let you make such a small one time investment every 1 1/2 years and not miss anything cool?

It is, however, becoming less fun of a hobby when more and more new PC games are worse than yesterday's console games.
DavesWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 23:28   #24
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I've never gotten a PC as cheap as $300. I'm in the same boat as Darcy as far as hardware but I may have a little different philosophy. I tend to buy a kickass top of the line PC then "ride it 'til the wheels fall off," to quote Tupac. I'm running a PIII 450 w/ 256MB so it's getting towards upgrade time. MOO3's keeping the bar low gives me an extra six months or so to scrimp for a better box.

Quote:
It is, however, becoming less fun of a hobby when more and more new PC games are worse than yesterday's console games.
I've felt this way for years and I'm a complete console wh*** now. I get sick to my stomach every time I think of a PC game I paid $50 for that crashes to the desktop before the opening sequence completes. Maybe mastering Orion will turn me back from the dark side...
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 23:41   #25
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
I've never gotten a PC as cheap as $300. I'm in the same boat as Darcy as far as hardware but I may have a little different philosophy. I tend to buy a kickass top of the line PC then "ride it 'til the wheels fall off," to quote Tupac.
Which is why you get ripped off. Buying top of the line hardware is NEVER a good idea. (unless you're, um, rich).

I always buy equipment from 4 to 6 months back. Case in point, I recently upgraded my 1 ghz system to a 2 ghz with a new motherboard, 2000 xp proc, and 512 mb of 2100 ram. I got all that for 300 bucks. One thing I never skimp on though, is my mboard. Procs are easy to replace, but buying the right mboard can let your next upgrade be a lot cheaper.

Quote:
I've felt this way for years and I'm a complete console wh*** now. I get sick to my stomach every time I think of a PC game I paid $50 for that crashes to the desktop before the opening sequence completes. Maybe mastering Orion will turn me back from the dark side...
I always check compatability of software and entertainment value before I buy. This is an unfortunate neccessity of the current market. So, I either download a demo, or, if there is no demo, I download the whole game. If I like it, I buy it.

As to hardware problems, The last time I had a game that would physically not run on my system I had a crummy bottom bucket system, all I could afford at the time. Now, I use mainstream parts, with mainstream software, and I rarely have ANY problems.

Not to say consols are bad, I most definetly would like to have an xbox. Halo kicks @$$.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2003, 09:29   #26
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
Buying top of the line hardware is NEVER a good idea. (unless you're, um, rich).
I should correct my last post to say 'affordable' top of the line. I will generally spend around $700 for good equipment that will last for several years. I believe they call it 'bleeding edge' technology because you'll want to slash your wrists when you get the bill.

Quote:
Not to say consols are bad, I most definetly would like to have an xbox. Halo kicks @$$.
Halo is pretty spectacular, especially the MP. Unfortunately, there's not many other good titles for the xbox. I mean, would it kill them to put out some freakin' rpg games?!?
Old January 28, 2003, 12:05   #27
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Halo is pretty spectacular, especially the MP. Unfortunately, there's not many other good titles for the xbox. I mean, would it kill them to put out some freakin' rpg games?!?
Well, Knights of the Old republic is supposed to be out in a couple weeks isn't it? That looks pretty sweet.

Plus the buggers ain't bringing it out for PC until June. . .
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2003, 15:13   #28
Yolky
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon

Unfortunately, there's not many other good titles for the xbox. I mean, would it kill them to put out some freakin' rpg games?!?
They have Morrowind. Awsome game for me, I love it.

Just thought you wanted to know if you didn't

Too bad they can't put Moo3 on xbox, and don't give me the reason they don't have many buttons, since everything is a click or two away in the game for the PC.

Davor
Old January 29, 2003, 03:52   #29
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

If they made MoO3 a console game then they'd have to "dumb down" the game for kiddies to play. Not such a bright idea IMHO. There are almost NO good console games, unless you are interested in shooting lots of cartoon things very quickly, or driving a car into walls. I'm very glad that MoO3 is going to exclusively be a PC game.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2003, 09:17   #30
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Yolky

They have Morrowind. Awsome game for me, I love it.
I have Morrowind but it keeps locking up and crashing on me. It makes me even madder that I haven't been able to finish the game due to the crashes.