Old January 27, 2003, 04:28   #1
epics
Warlord

Local Time: 16:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would like to see a different Road System
I got to this idea but maybe it was already posted? Am I writing it unnecessarly?

Standard roads should be as they are now. Latter they would be improoved to, let's call them, Highways. And there could be also Railroads.

Highways would have 1/5 cost of move. I'm not sure with what tech would it come, but maybe Refinning? Help me here. I don't think Highways increase Shild output so maybe some increase in money? Thice as much as roads.

Railways would have 1/10 cost of move and it would give profits in different way. Connecting it to a city would increase it's shield about 25% (but only connection, not the whole rail-net). This wouldn't be improovment to Highways but additional way of trasport. It should be more expensive to build a Railway, especially through mountains (thus tunels are required).
Old January 27, 2003, 04:49   #2
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 17:12
Doesn't sound too bad. Maybe something for Civ4?
Old January 27, 2003, 12:03   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 15:12
would be good if we could edit road and railway veriables in the edittor!
Old January 27, 2003, 15:22   #4
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Isn't that the way it works in CTP? 1/3 movement points for roads, 1/5 for railroad and 1/10 for maglevs and underwater tunnels.
Old January 28, 2003, 01:37   #5
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
I would like to see something like roads for naval transportation--call them "sea lanes" maybe. Something should be done to alleviate where an army can instantly go from Lisbon to Vladivostok by rail but takes 10 years to circle the world? Magellan only needed 3.
Old January 28, 2003, 05:53   #6
epics
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Isn't that the way it works in CTP? 1/3 movement points for roads, 1/5 for railroad and 1/10 for maglevs and underwater tunnels.
Yes. I was wondering about that. I played CTP long time ago so I didn't remember that. I think it's better system then in Civ when you can travel i.e. from Kamchatka (Estern Asia) to Normandy (France) in no-time. Quite unrealistic!
Old January 28, 2003, 09:47   #7
Coxy
Mac
Settler

Considering that a turn is meant to be a whole year (by the end of the game, anyway) I think that railroads are fine the way they are.

There's already too much mousework involved with the building and transportation of large armies, I would prefer the situation to improve, rather than get worse, myself.
Old January 28, 2003, 11:52   #8
HazieDaVampire
King

should have 'Carm ocean' squares, where you can move more on them, all of the movement points of ships should be doubled, but sea and ocean squares should take 2mp, and carm sea and coastal squares should take just 1mp. Since when ships cross the atlanic they have favored routes and the tip of south africa is one of the homes of them MEGA waves that put holes through ships!
Old January 28, 2003, 13:43   #9
epics
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
should have 'Carm ocean' squares, where you can move more on them, all of the movement points of ships should be doubled, but sea and ocean squares should take 2mp, and carm sea and coastal squares should take just 1mp. Since when ships cross the atlanic they have favored routes and the tip of south africa is one of the homes of them MEGA waves that put holes through ships!
hey, very nice. but that still doesn't solve the point of loooooong voyages through water.