Old February 5, 2001, 10:13   #1
MississippiJ
Settler

Local Time: 05:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can you give away units??
I've played this game a LONG time. However, this is the first time I've ever wanted to give a pact brother some ground units. Can it be done? I've looked all over and can't find any mention of it. I've had units given to me; so how about the other way 'round?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before...as I'm sure it must have been. But if you could please help, I would apprciate it.

Thanks

MississippiJ
Old February 5, 2001, 10:45   #2
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:03
You sure can. All you do is move the unit you want to give, into the other factions territory and right click and go to the action command. Then go down to "turn over unit control" or just Ctrl Shift U. And don't worry about questions. We all learn something new everyday.
Old February 5, 2001, 15:00   #3
Mars_Col_44
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Aircraft must actually land on an airbase or pact bro/sis' city to be able to transfer....
Old February 6, 2001, 10:40   #4
MississippiJ
Settler

Thanks to both of you, Sprayber and Mars_Col_44.

I can't believe I overlooked that....I know I've been there. Oh well, after 10 hours straight of play my eyes were a little tired.

I play my own custom faction on the XXL map of planet. This large map almost insures you start on your own continent; thus allowing time for development (my style of game). The downside is that if a Pact brother needs help and your concentrating on teaching your closest neighbor a lesson, it's hard to do anything for them short of drop pod a Dragoon or two and fight with them....something I didn't want to do. I wanted to just give them the units and let them slug it out until I could get around to it......God, I've been playing this game to long!.....I'm talking like these are real people......I guess that's okay here.

Thanks again

MississippiJ
Old February 6, 2001, 12:08   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:03
quote:

Originally posted by MississippiJ on 02-06-2001 09:40 AM
I'm talking like these are real people......I guess that's okay here.

Don't worry, I think all of us at one time or another has been guilty of doing that. Especially when one of Yang's foils just took out that transport full of important units which you thought "it's just a few tiles away from the nearest base, it can make it by itself". Anyway, your welcome.

Old February 6, 2001, 15:33   #6
Mars_Col_44
Chieftain

ditto. BTW, has a pact bro/sis given you anything yet? Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with the flow --- they just keep giving units to the point when the other units get automatically disbanded because you go over the mineral output of the base. =(
Old February 6, 2001, 17:42   #7
MississippiJ
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Mars_Col_44 on 02-06-2001 02:33 PM
ditto. BTW, has a pact bro/sis given you anything yet? =(

It's happened in the past but not lately. I haven't played the original AI's in a long time. I think they may be more generous :-). I play mostly downloaded AI's against my own faction now. Seems to keep the game fresh. Stumbled across a custom faction site about three weeks back that had custom factions done up with all the vids, pics, sounds etc. So I'm back to sleepless nights again......and an unhappy wife......did anyone figure out how to do that "nerve stapling" thing yet??:-).

Ride safe.
Jack

Old February 6, 2001, 20:13   #8
Mars_Col_44
Chieftain

Take care. I guess that I'll need to take time out to do the taxes......well, maybe I'll do the taxes later
Old February 8, 2001, 15:19   #9
uptons
Settler

You can also do one other very important thing, and that is to release mind worms (of any type) into the wild (perhaps next to an enemy base). You do the same thing as if you were doing a normal transfer(Ctrl-Shift-U), but you will be asked, in the case of MWs, if you want to set them free. This way, you can harm an enemy (even a pactmate) by releasing perhaps a dozen regular worms next to a major base of his, or perhaps release lots of Spore Launchers in his territory and have them destroy the infrastructure... etc.
Old February 8, 2001, 18:39   #10
MississippiJ
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by uptons on 02-08-2001 02:19 PM
perhaps release lots of Spore Launchers in his territory and have them destroy the infrastructure... etc.

What a wicked idea. ;-) Pity you can't attach drop pods and sort of "sprinkle" mind worms all over enemy territory.
Old February 9, 2001, 15:13   #11
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Missippij,

Ahh but you can (after a fashion). Especially effective if you want to sabotage a pact mate. Make a drop transport load up with a worm or spore launcher. Insert into enemy territory, unload said native life. Move Transport into pact mates base and do insertion back to your territory. Repeat until you are satisisfied with amount of native life in pact mates territory and then release all to the wild. Think about this when playing 'gainst Morgan and your running FM but planning to go to green and expecting him to call off your pact.

Alternatively against a treatied faction, move both units away fromeachother to establish a one square cushion and then release to wild. Even if the faction calls for your removal of forces from their territory your drop transport returns but the wild native remains causing havoc in their territory.

Deviously,

Og