Old January 27, 2003, 16:40   #1
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does playing in the "Future Era" ignore difficulty levels??
I play in the Future Era almost all the time now because that's the way I like playing. It might not be scientific, but it's pure military in nature. There's no tech race or anything, which is how I like it.

The difficulty levels are still the same. Deity allows extra AI units just like a traditional game. They still outexpand and outbuild the player. It still takes diplomacy to avoid World Wars and Nuclear Wars. Yes the ancient Era UUs are not as dominant, but from what I've seen on the replay screen, the ancient era UU civs still get GAs. You still have to micromanage cities and citizen happiness. It still takes skill to complete and win a Future Era Deity game. All the resources are right there available, you just have to hook them up. You still have to fight "phony wars" against other civs to get resources you lack. It's just as hard as traditional Deity..just no tech race.

I love playing like this, and I'm happy playing like this. But some people(I won't name names) think by me playing this way is stupid and backwards and I'm not learning game techniques. But with all the things I've mentioned above, it seems that I still am. Your thoughts?
Old January 27, 2003, 18:26   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 09:14
As to your initial question (the thread title), I think you answered it yourself. The AI still outproduces you etc. As for game "mechanics", one huge thing you're missing is tech trading (or winning in war). That's a huge part of playing upper levels where the AI gets techs before you. But if you're having fun, then keep on keeping on.

But I do suspect that if you play this way (exclusively) for 6 months and then try a Deity MP game against a human that's been playing through from the ancient era on Deity, you'll lose.
Old January 28, 2003, 01:44   #3
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 11:14
Re: Does playing in the "Future Era" ignore difficulty levels??
Quote:
Originally posted by Knightblade pDM
I love playing like this, and I'm happy playing like this.
Then by all means continue to do so. But the tech advantage/disadvantage given to the AI's - coupled with the trade rates - is probably the biggest single factor in defining the competitive levels. What you're playing is a Modified Deity level game. As to whether that makes you a Deity level player or not, try a few unmodded games at that level and see how you do. But play the game the way you like it.
Old January 28, 2003, 08:18   #4
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
Maybe the AI is still focusing on researcing? Meaning it will "waste" resources on researching future techs instead of getting money? But it's good for training; later you might try to start in the modern era, then industrial and so on.