Local Date: November 1, 2010
"God's might and Mohammed's ..."
I need to know who said:

"God's might and Mohammed's miracles are my companions."

anyone know?

Sell your photos
Old January 27, 2003, 18:13   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:14
Re: "God's might and Mohammed's ..."
Google is your friend.
Old January 27, 2003, 18:15   #3
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 11:14
www.google.com

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/14094

Quote:
The Ottoman Empire also dominated the Muslim world. To bolster their claims to leadership of Islam, the Ottomans claimed that, in 1517, Sultan Selim I was handed the custody of the Muslim holy places of Mecca and Medina by the last Abbasid caliph. However dubious the veracity of this story, millions of Muslims throughout the Middle East and elsewhere then recognized the sultan as caliph, the prophet's temporal and spiritual successor. Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent—who expanded the empire's boundaries to their broadest extent— declared:

I am head of Muhammad's community. God's might and Muhammad's miracles are my companions. I am Süleyman, in whose name the hutbe (sermon) is read in Mecca and Medina. In Baghdad I am the Shah, in Byzantine realms the Caesar, and in Egypt the sultan.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 27, 2003, 18:16   #4
KrazyHorse
Deity

It helps to avoid using words which are often spelled differently when googling a quote. (Note the Muhammad)
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 27, 2003, 18:16   #5
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
Suleiman the magnificent
Old January 27, 2003, 18:18   #6
Gangerolf
Prince

bleh
Old January 27, 2003, 18:19   #7
Sonic
Warlord

Local Time: 17:14
Didn't he said "Allah's might and Mohammed's miracles are my companions."
Old January 27, 2003, 18:26   #8
Gangerolf
Prince

God=Allah
Allah=God
Old January 27, 2003, 18:59   #9
Sonic
Warlord

Gangerwolf, no.
God - Christian
Allah - Muslim
Old January 27, 2003, 19:02   #10
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 09:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic
Gangerwolf, no.
God - Christian
Allah - Muslim
No,

Allah:Musim::God:Engsil
Old January 27, 2003, 19:06   #11
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonic
Gangerwolf, no.
God - Christian
Allah - Muslim
Not quite. In Christian Malta, where a Semitic language is spoken, Allah is also the word for God. Christian Arabs also exist, of course....

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 27, 2003, 19:14   #12
Gangerolf
Prince

Allah means God. It's the same guy
Old January 27, 2003, 19:20   #13
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:14
One dude? hebrew tells us about "Gods" . A weird fellow , huh?
Old January 27, 2003, 19:34   #14
Sonic
Warlord

Well, in Lithuanian word "Dievas" means Christian god and word "Alachas" means muslim god...
If God and Allah is the same, then are Roman, Egyptian, Celtic, etc. gods are also the same as God and Allah? If so, then they are actually also one person...
Old January 27, 2003, 19:38   #15
Gangerolf
Prince

I thought the Christian, Muslim and Jewish god was the same guy. Just different ways of worshiping him.
Old January 27, 2003, 19:43   #16
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:14
You're right, Gangerolf.

Sonic: those are polytheistic gods. They're not the only god, but the leader of a clan of dieties.They can be recognized easily by a strong mythology surrounding them.

The only monotheistic religion having anything similar to mythology is judaism, and christianity has the strongest polytheistic features, (Trinity). Islam doesn't have those, but it's nothing suprising. Muhammad built it's god as a refinement of the hebrew monotheistic god.
Old January 27, 2003, 19:50   #17
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:14
God is English, Allah is Arabic.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 27, 2003, 19:51   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
God is English
"And did those feet..."

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 27, 2003, 19:55   #19
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think that explains why Jesus is pasty white.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old January 27, 2003, 20:00   #20
KrazyHorse
Deity

It was just too good to pass up.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old January 27, 2003, 20:07   #21
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Actually, the Allah, God, Yaweh question sparks some interesting debate in atheist circles.

1. Some take the "they are all the same" view. Others (myself included) note that there have been an awful lot of people killed by religious adherents who seem very convinced that there are clear differences among the three.

2. I also note that many people use the word "Allah" when writing in English (and certainly not referring to the Christian God), so there seems to be a difference in those peoples' thoughts among the deities.

3. English makes this question difficult by using the same word as the title of the Christian deity ("God") and the generic word ("god") for non-Christian (not just Judaic and Moslem, but ancient and modern polytheistic deities) . For example, does Arabic use "allah" as a generic word to describe Odin or Vishnu?
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 27, 2003, 20:22   #22
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Allah is a compound word of "the" and "God," IIRC. So it would only be used in monotheistic contexts (you wouldn't be calling Odin or Vishnu Allah). An Arab would call Odin a "lah" or something like that.

As for whether they're the same deity, it depends entirely on what you mean. It seems like a silly question to me. They're all monotheistic, they inherit the same mythology, and of course there are divergences. Just like there might be divergences between a Catholic and a Protestant's idea of God.
-Bokonon
Old January 27, 2003, 22:39   #23
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Since both the Torah and the New Testament are Holy Books in Islam, it is obvious to those with at least half a brain the YHWH of the Jews, God of the Christians, and Allah of the Muslims represents the same invisibile friend. Hell, if you even want to go further, they are all modifications of the Sumerian god, El, whom the Martuu adopted as their patron deity. Abrahm was a Martuu before he left Sumer for Canan to found a great nation.

Moslems continue to refer to God as Allah in other languages because Arabic is a holy language, so they always use Arabic to refer to God.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 27, 2003, 22:58   #24
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 15:14
Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
I another forum someone said that the muslims consider themselves the true people of Abraham, they say that our bible was corrupted to make it look like if God prefered Isaac over Ismael, they consider themselves the sons of Ismael.

JHWY, ALLAH and the god father of christianity (the father, not Jesus and the Holy spirit) would be like identified as the same being.
Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.
Old January 27, 2003, 23:12   #25
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Since both the Torah and the New Testament are Holy Books in Islam, it is obvious to those with at least half a brain the YHWH of the Jews, God of the Christians, and Allah of the Muslims represents the same invisibile friend. Hell, if you even want to go further, they are all modifications of the Sumerian god, El, whom the Martuu adopted as their patron deity. Abrahm was a Martuu before he left Sumer for Canan to found a great nation.
Having *at least* half a brain (I took it out and weighed it on the bathroom scale. It's 3/4, minimum, so there!) I can respond to that .

The Koran (any way you want to spell it) is not considered part of the Judeo-Christian beliefs (as the New Testament is not part of the Judaic beliefs), so they are not the same.

You ignore, for example the Mithraists who also had significant input in to the Judeo/Christian/Moslem traditions. And there are others. How many sepratist religions do you want to ignore in your quest for similiarities?

Besides, you never addressed the issues I mentioned in my post.

Moslems continue to refer to God as Allah in other languages because Arabic is a holy language, so they always use Arabic to refer to God. [/QUOTE]
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 28, 2003, 02:30   #26
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
1. Some take the "they are all the same" view. Others (myself included) note that there have been an awful lot of people killed by religious adherents who seem very convinced that there are clear differences among the three.
Christians and Moslems are quite good at killing other members of their own religions over doctrinal differences, so it should come as no suprise that different religions worshipping the same god would be even more likely to kill each other. Islam is quite clear on the matter, however. Jews and Christians also worship Allah, and therefore may not be forced to convert to Islam. Christianity claims to worship the Jewish God, and since Islam sees Jesus as a prophet of God, it's easily clear that they are all talking about the same imaginary being.

Quote:
I also note that many people use the word "Allah" when writing in English (and certainly not referring to the Christian God), so there seems to be a difference in those peoples' thoughts among the deities.
Even though you rolled your eyes, the actual answer is that God is properly spoken of in the holy language of Arabic (the language of the Prophet Mohammed).

Quote:
3. English makes this question difficult by using the same word as the title of the Christian deity ("God") and the generic word ("god") for non-Christian (not just Judaic and Moslem, but ancient and modern polytheistic deities) . For example, does Arabic use "allah" as a generic word to describe Odin or Vishnu?
Ramo answered this.

Mithraism did not have a significant impact on the Judaic religions. You're thinking of Zorastrianism, which the Jews encountered during their exile in Babylon. Mithraism was the other montheistic religion which was gaining converts during Christianity's rise, but because it failed to let women be members it lost out.

Quote:
The Koran (any way you want to spell it) is not considered part of the Judeo-Christian beliefs (as the New Testament is not part of the Judaic beliefs), so they are not the same.
This is irrelevent. No Jew would say Christians don't worship the same God. Jews just don't accept Jesus as the Messiah. The same is true for Islam.

Quote:
How many sepratist religions do you want to ignore in your quest for similiarities?
The only other religion of which I know that worships the same diety is Bahai'ism, which is an outgrowth of Islam.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 28, 2003, 19:24   #27
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

christianity has the strongest polytheistic features, (Trinity).

Azazel, this is not quite right.

Christians believe in a tri-une God, ie, one God with three persons called the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Che,

Quote:
Christianity claims to worship the Jewish God, and since Islam sees Jesus as a prophet of God, it's easily clear that they are all talking about the same imaginary being.
Christians do say that they are ingrafted in the root of the tree of life, in the place where only the Jews resided originally. The salvation promised to the Jews, through Jesus was extended to the Gentiles. Same God, same promise, just different people.

Moslems say that Mohammed was the prophet of Allah, but also insist upon the common inheritance of the people of Israel, in tracing ancestry back to Abraham through Ishmael instead of Isaac.

The main difference between the three can be summed in one question, who is the person of Jesus? Christians say he is the Son of God, Muslims call him a prophet of God, on a level of the OT prophets, while I don't know what Jews make of Jesus now. Do Jews consider Jesus as a prophet?

Quote:
The only other religion of which I know that worships the same diety is Bahai'ism, which is an outgrowth of Islam.
Well, this is troublesome. Bahai's do not claim a descendent from Abraham, as the 'People of the Book' do. Bah'ai's are not outgrowths of Islam, but rather try to combine elements of Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, etc, saying that they are all the same God.
Old January 28, 2003, 21:31   #28
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
Do Jews consider Jesus as a prophet?
He's considered a rabbi.