Old January 29, 2003, 00:32   #1
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 11:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Any Princess Makers out there?
My brother just sent me a CDROM with lots of old DOS computer games for girls. (Or at least, they were so popular with Japanese females that somebody thought to burn them all to a CDROM and make it girl worthy.)

I remember such classics as Bubble Bopple and Kirby, but I draw a blank at such titles as Taboo (which looks like a lesbian hentai game) and Princess Maker 2 (where you make a princess out of a girl... or possibly the other way round).

Has anybody else played PM2 and found scouted out the game yet? Specifically, how on earth do you make money?

I wanted to go out adventuring and it turns out that this would send my daughter out, not me. So she went out and got whacked.

Bah. Silly girl. *I* would have kicked bottom.
Old January 29, 2003, 01:39   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:19
I dl'd and played this a couple years ago. For starters you have to work in occupations which build up your physical stats a bit before venturing out into the wilderness (farming can come in useful IIRC). You won't be able to work too well at first or for too long (lest you develop discipline probs due to stress) but eventually you should earn/grow enough to get some basic gear and start adventuring.
Note: Only head East at first (into the plains/forests). Don't try and take on the other regions until you can beat this first. Next most difficult respectively (IIRC) are the North (icelands), South (river/lake/islands) and West (Desert=toughest).
This is only for the warriors path mind you. I didn't much care to try and turn somebody into a princess.
Old January 29, 2003, 02:34   #3
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 09:19
yes

PM2 was great

how you make money (at least for me( is get your girl up to tthe point where she can fight

and than go aventuring

you make far more moeny there, and can use it to send ehr to school most the rest of the time

it is really something you just have to get the feal for, I played for 24 horus straight once

Jon Miller
Old January 29, 2003, 02:36   #4
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 09:19
at the first yuo will want to evenly ballance out work and school

remember to watch her decorum and strength and all those other things in order to make her go in the direction you want her to

the first few games I played I didn't adventure at all, and I think that makes money more difficult

a big nonadventuring money maker is the cooking contest at the yearly fair

Jon Miller
Old January 29, 2003, 03:06   #5
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
Stefu posted PM2 for us all to download awhile back. Yes, quite fun. But check what jobs will pay you. Once you get the right stats up for the job (often done by doing the job and failing), you should get paid at the proper rate, even extra for doing a super-good job.
Old January 29, 2003, 03:30   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wow, I didn't know other people played that!

I had all the stats for all the jobs worked out (what they increase, what they decrease), etc. Cheating gets you lots of money.
Old January 29, 2003, 05:45   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 15:19
Yes PM2 was a great game - haven't heard of Taboo though - care to post it somewhere? PM me.

SG[1]
Old January 29, 2003, 05:53   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 16:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Cheating gets you lots of money.
Do you ever play a game fairly?
Old January 29, 2003, 08:31   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Thief. Hell, I play only saving at the end of each mission.
Old January 29, 2003, 09:26   #10
DrSpike
Deity

Hehe by his own admission the only time Skanky plays fair is when he is thieving.
Old January 29, 2003, 09:31   #11
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Has anyone got this PM2 to download or a link? It sounds fun. Will it work under win98?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 29, 2003, 10:01   #12
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Hehe by his own admission the only time Skanky plays fair is when he is thieving.
I fell straight into that one!

Quote:
Will it work under win98?
Yes, PM2 will work under windows. Not sure where you can get a copy from though.
Old January 29, 2003, 10:14   #13
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Like the signature change Skanky

-Jam
Old January 29, 2003, 10:15   #14
Skanky Burns

Thanks, and as a reward, here is a site you can download the game from:

Underdogs
Old January 29, 2003, 10:23   #15
Jamski
Deity

Is this a [SIZE=0.5]warez site[/SIZE] Mr Burns? I'll type it very small so noone sees it But its an abandonware game, right? So I don't need to worry my little mind...

Thanks Skanky, I'll leave you something (a yoghurt perhaps?) in my will. Now to get that girl trained...

-Jam
Old January 29, 2003, 10:57   #16
DrSpike
Deity

Like the sig. Skanky.
Old January 30, 2003, 03:45   #17
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Yeh - but "Taboo" isn't there

SG[1]
Old January 30, 2003, 07:22   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

I visit Underdogs a lot and missed this one completely. They give it such a strong writeup I'll have to give it a try and see if my machine will let it run. The linked story about why it never made release is fascinating too.

Is the version on CD the completed game or the beta version that the Underdogs has?
Old January 31, 2003, 16:31   #19
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
I played PM2 lots a few years back, don't know exactly why but it was very captivating. The bugger did screw up my hard drive one day, but that was more related to personal stupidity then a problem with the game.

I always resorted to money cheats though, since I never managed to do the finances well. I never got around to messing about with the fighting system either. I just aimed for as many endings as possible:

Spoiler:
One time she ended up as a courtesan, one time as my wife , one time she was a magician if I recall correctly.

And it was really touching to watch her succeed in the ball, or some competition, or get happily married... :'-)
Old February 1, 2003, 12:39   #20
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 10:19
I kept training her to fight the one time I played it and got her to win the tournament.

It was always funny to see some guy try to take over the dojo every year. Does the dojo master piss everyone off that much!
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"