Old February 6, 2003, 14:46   #31
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
from time to time i've attacked one unit and another apeared mysteriously for defence. some people would call it cheating. but i presume catt's theory is more obvious and realistic.

maybe worth a try. i'll use gramphos' SGE a place a defender in a ship...
Old February 6, 2003, 21:37   #32
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 11:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I had something similar happen recently -- the city defender was visibly a cavalry (after having destroyed a modern armor or two first), but my next attack somehow produced another modern armor as defender. It happened three or four times in a row. I figured out that the "surprise" defenders were units loaded on a transport located in the city -- they didn't show up as units defending the city until attacked, but they also didn't just sit in the transport, to be sunk when I took the city. I don;t remember this happening under vanilla civ 3 (my incident was PTW 1.14f).

I would venture a guess that underneath your destroyer was a transport and inside the transport were infantry. When you attacked the city, an infantry popped out of the transport to defend.

Catt
Never thought about this possibility, but it does seem plausible in theory. I think this is new to PTW as I have not played it as much as the origional game.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old February 7, 2003, 05:43   #33
theNiceOne
Warlord

Local Time: 16:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
I had something similar happen recently -- the city defender was visibly a cavalry (after having destroyed a modern armor or two first), but my next attack somehow produced another modern armor as defender. It happened three or four times in a row. I figured out that the "surprise" defenders were units loaded on a transport located in the city -- they didn't show up as units defending the city until attacked, but they also didn't just sit in the transport, to be sunk when I took the city. I don;t remember this happening under vanilla civ 3 (my incident was PTW 1.14f).
I have also had something similar happen once. In a city I attacked that had lots of defenders, it showed the second best defender all the time, while when I actually attacked the best was used. I.e. If it had one infantry, one rifleman and one pikeman, it would show the rifleman, but when attacked, the infantry would defend. When the infantry was killed it would show the pikeman but defend with the rifleman. When only the pikeman was left it would show no unit at all, but defend with the pikeman.
I still took the city, and haven't seen this error later.