Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
i hope not. akiria needs them.
"needs" might be a strong word here... Akiria's industry/energy isn't what it *could* be, but it *did* manage to pump out the XD in, what, 6 turns?

Quote:
aha! cedayon can order herc to do it
The greenies in JV would hang me

*considers installation of a "Banish Tree Hugger" button*
Old March 4, 2003, 13:50   #62
Kirov
Prince

Local Time: 17:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

I think you do know what I would say
Come on, Drogue, only one tiny borehole... You won't even notice it. And we'll put pot plants inside...
Old March 5, 2003, 05:20   #63
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 15:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirov
Come on, Drogue, only one tiny borehole... You won't even notice it. And we'll put pot plants inside...

Planet will notice, and it won't be so forgiving. Even with pot plants, it's still a blight on the landscape, they're enormous, they emit tonnes of pollutants, there just evil

Besides, do we really need them? We can have mines in other regions that we can crawl, and we can crawl farm/condensers for food. We have no need of boreholes. We can have mineral output (below the clean mineral limit of course) without boreholes.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 5, 2003, 05:21   #64
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
All of that is true, however, boreholes make it much easier to have decent energy and mineral outputs. Where would Centralis be today without it's boreholes?
Old March 5, 2003, 06:38   #65
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Where would Centralis be today without it's boreholes?
Cleaner, more beautiful, and with less mineral output. It would less resemble Swiss-cheese

Old March 5, 2003, 06:41   #66
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Also significantly poorer, which carries rather more weight with the general population than your notions of cleanliness and beauty, especially when the elimination of the boreholes would not improve the environment in any way whatsoever.
Old March 5, 2003, 07:40   #67
Kirov
Prince

I just want to make sure Akiria is not far behind the other regions. I want New Tassagrad to be considered as a good base for placing SP, for instance.

Imagine, Drogue. If we could build industrially powerful region, our competitors would get green with envy...
Old March 5, 2003, 07:53   #68
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 16:28
As the new Gov I am not in favour of Boreholes in our region. Condensers mines and even an aerospace complex for incoming tourist and nutrient and energy sats

but Boreholes are a no no
Old March 5, 2003, 08:37   #69
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 12:28
Quote:
I want New Tassagrad to be considered as a good base for placing SP, for instance.
which it is not, as our 10th mineral producer. in 15 years, i've completed 3 boreholes at Deus Ex Machina, and now it tops the standings. so you see, boreholes are good

PS: when you write in green, i can't read a word of it in the moo3 style
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.gif
Views:	37
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	38937  
Old March 5, 2003, 08:40   #70
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Eh? I use the MoO style too, and I can still read it...
Old March 5, 2003, 08:44   #71
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

maybe my eyes just suck then
Old March 5, 2003, 08:50   #72
Kirov
Prince

Why don't you use SMAC style? I tried moo once, but... it sucks.
Old March 5, 2003, 09:05   #73
Method
Emperor

because the SMAC style is just awful, that's why
Old March 5, 2003, 09:22   #74
Kirov
Prince

You can see different colours at least...:P
Old March 7, 2003, 23:40   #75
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Orders for 2264 posted.
Feedback welcome. Obviously I can change specifics up to last moment. Feel strongly our region needs another compatible SP ( ie compatible with STEP outlook).
Old March 9, 2003, 12:20   #76
Hercules
Deity

A borehole has been constructed in Akiria. Should I order its distruction. It appears to have been constructed illegally.

I might have to call in Inspector Hercules to investigated the circumstances surrounding its construction.
Old March 9, 2003, 12:36   #77
Drogue
staff

Where is it? I'll have a look, and see if it needs to be brought before the court. Was it ordered by Cedayon or was it another Governor mistaking where the border was?

Old March 9, 2003, 13:07   #78
Cedayon
King

It's NW NW of Cyclops. It was not ordered by me, I assure you. It was ordered by TKG because it's also in the base radius of Xanadu. I made a fuss in TKG's borehole poll, and I believe this particular borehole was voted down... nonetheless, there it is, I'm sorry for not noticing it before (I brought it up in the turnthread after I got the '71 thread and saw the hole).

I wish no harm or inconvienience upon the people of Xanadu, but that borehole is illegal and needs to go... just have it forested over, or maybe condensor farmed.
Old March 9, 2003, 16:47   #79
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Shall we impeach TKG for three weeks??
Oh wait...
Old March 9, 2003, 17:58   #80
Cedayon
King

From what I can gather (talking to TKG), he didn't order the borehole, because it was voted down. "Someone", who is known for occaisional misinterpretation of former orders, went ahead and drilled it anyway
Old March 9, 2003, 21:34   #81
Kirov
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Cedayon
From what I can gather (talking to TKG), he didn't order the borehole, because it was voted down. "Someone", who is known for occaisional misinterpretation of former orders, went ahead and drilled it anyway
Maybe there is some secret society within our faction? I wouldn't be surprised...
Old March 9, 2003, 23:37   #82
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Maybe there is some secret society within our faction? I wouldn't be surprised...
The Freeboreholers?

Nah, it's entirely more likely that GT was just going on memory some turns into a turnchat, and he remembered that TKG wanted a borehole there... and all the other holes (I think) passed, so it was probably easy to forget not to drill that one.

Again, I'm sorry for not noticing it at the end of the '64 save, as I had called it out in the polls. I think we can just have it forested over (or farmed or something, if so desired, just get rid of that big hole) and call it good without calling for any official hide.
Old March 9, 2003, 23:55   #83
Kirov
Prince

What?! You tell me than GT is in this secret society?! Great, I am dead body.

I wonder what they really want... Maybe Drill to Transcendence?
Old March 10, 2003, 00:04   #84
Cedayon
King

Quote:
I wonder what they really want... Maybe Drill to Transcendence?
Why bother with deep crust and mantle mining when you can get so much more energy from the core!

Nah, we'll just tear apart asteroids and put up a few billion energy collectors around the star.
Old March 10, 2003, 06:16   #85
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Cedayon
Why bother with deep crust and mantle mining when you can get so much more energy from the core!

Nah, we'll just tear apart asteroids and put up a few billion energy collectors around the star.
Do you people have any respect

Not only do you want to drill into the Planet, releasing heat and pollution, but you also want to blow up asteroids in the name of energy production They were right, we are a virus. We come here, use up it's resources, and then move on, repeating all the old mistakes on Earth

Have we learned nothing?

Last edited by Drogue; March 10, 2003 at 06:28.
Old March 10, 2003, 06:18   #86
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I see you have an objection to to the mining of asteroids and the collection of solar energy. Would you care to explain what it is?
Old March 10, 2003, 08:16   #87
Hercules
Deity

I am not sure I object to mining asteroids or whatever.
Old March 10, 2003, 08:46   #88
Drogue
staff

Well, I don't see why we should use up the resources of yet another Planet just to further our aims. These resources are finite, and need to be preserved. If we use all the fossil fuels, core heat, etc. from the Asteroid, then our future is in jeopody (when it runs out). We have Synth Fossil Fuels, why do we need to mine more? Solar energy I have little problem with. And I took
Quote:
we'll just tear apart asteroids
to mean a little more than just mining.

Old March 10, 2003, 09:04   #89
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

You know Drogue, not everything we use can be made renewable or recycable, no matter how hard you try. If you like or not, as long as we live, we'll have to use resources. If you don't want to harm Planet at all, the only method is suicide.

Edit: And this solar system has enough asteroids to support us for thousands of years.
Old March 10, 2003, 09:46   #90
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
You know Drogue, not everything we use can be made renewable or recycable, no matter how hard you try. If you like or not, as long as we live, we'll have to use resources. If you don't want to harm Planet at all, the only method is suicide.
No it isn't. We can use renewable energy. Not everything can be made renewable. But why use fossil fuels when we have synthetic version, wind, solar, wave, tidal and hydroelectric power? We can not harm Planet and still live. Many billions of other species do it, why should we be the only ones to buck the trend? We can do *some* damage, and still have a sustainable society. Do we want humans to still be here in 10,000, 100,000, 1 million, etc. years? I do, and for that, we must have a sustainable way of life.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Edit: And this solar system has enough asteroids to support us for thousands of years.
A tiny blip in the (we hope) length of time humans will be on this Planet. In the long run, we cannot use fossil fuels (obviously we can in the short term) and so we must have the proper infrastructure in place.