Old March 29, 2003, 09:16   #61
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
In the first patch, they changed Industry, so they needed road next to each building (Like Res/Com buildings)... pretty annoying I'd say...
Which reminds me: The fact that some squares in the residential zones adjacent to roads get the "no road access" sign on them and don't develop, is that a bug?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old March 29, 2003, 09:30   #62
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I have never seen this. Could you post a screenshot?
Old March 29, 2003, 22:29   #63
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 16:29
Just bought the game - dived straight in and didn't get very far. PLayed the tutorial, tried again -didn't get very far. Even read the manual !

I suppose i should be grateful that their was a manual and it wasn't a PDF. Rails Across America (another recent purchase) didn't have any manual at all - i think that's taking budget games a bit too far.

Still Sim City...i'm reluctant to buy it but does the strategy guide help ? I have quite a few questions about gameplay or least would like to understand the mechanics a bit more.
Old March 30, 2003, 04:48   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

The tips & tips section on SimCity.com helps a little getting started, so you might want to check that one out...
About the manual:
I prefer them to stop making those manuals... last time I read a manual, was the manual to Civ2... it didn't help me at all, I simply just read it because I was bored... By reading it, I got even more bored...

But here's the most important tip:
Do NOT play the game, the same way as you played SimCity 3k, that way will just bankrupt you...
Keep an eye on all buildings, before building something that has a monthly cost (and schools, etc, you need to set the payment down, to how many actually uses the school, etc... That'll save you a lot of money...)
Old March 30, 2003, 11:54   #65
candybo
Warlord

Local Time: 10:29
I found SC4 very difficult at first. Been playing now since about a week after it came out... The biggest tip I can offer is DO NOT try to build a 3k style "super city" first... You have to play regionally, each town a little at a time. Think of it like New England, the villages develop, and the center of gravity (Boston) will naturally evolve... It DOES get more compelling as you go deeper!

edited for typo..
Old March 30, 2003, 12:24   #66
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I have never seen this. Could you post a screenshot?
Here you are. I can't see why these problems occour. Would be fine if it's solution for it!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc4 screen jpg version.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	41130  
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old March 30, 2003, 12:48   #67
candybo
Warlord

The arrows have to face a road....

Castlevania, huh?

Last edited by candybo; March 30, 2003 at 12:54.
Old March 30, 2003, 12:56   #68
candybo
Warlord

Seriously, tho... this happens when, for instance, you zone a "lot" 3 spaces deep, then plop something else in the first square.... dezone, then zone again..
Old March 30, 2003, 13:36   #69
Nikolai
Deity

I use the game to make the zones. I haven't dezoned anything yet. But what do you mean with "the arrows have to face a road"? If you mean the sign with the car on it, it is adjacent to a road, so...

And yeah, Castlevania!
Old March 30, 2003, 13:51   #70
candybo
Warlord

No, sorry... notice the little things that look like < or > ?.... Anytime you see that, it has to be directed toward a road... I notice in the middle of your shot, there is a "no car" zot right behind a school or library. I'm guessing you zoned the res first, then put that in. Probably, the res zone with the zot was part of a bigger "lot" that faced the same direction as the school. if you dezone-rezone that square, it will face S-SE...
Old March 30, 2003, 15:06   #71
Nikolai
Deity

Hmm... Might be. I'll check it out!
Old March 31, 2003, 04:38   #72
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

In the middle of the screenshot, you have 4 different res-zones next to each other (You can see they are not one large zone, since they are split apart with a dark-green line.
And as mentioned before:
When you zone your land, the direction is set (In this case, the zones direction are set to the road, just north of the zones. One of them is touching a road, but it's not touching the road, with the side of the zone, that was set to touch the road (It doesn't automaticly re-set the zone, you have to de-zone, then re-zone...