Old January 31, 2003, 20:11   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My old Army unit is going to Iraq; should I go too?
I was on the phone with an old army buddy of mine from my old reserve unit today and he told me the unit is going to be activated at the beginning of summer and sent to Iraq. Supposedly the fighting will be over by then and the active duty army will begin handing over some of the day to day stuff over to reserve units.

Now comes the big question. My friend (a SFC) asked me if I would like to go too; he said there was a shortage of experienced men in the unit and everyone would be glade to have me if I would reenlist and come along. I admit I was really flattered that a friend who was going into danger wants me to go with him, but I'm not sure. Technically, I'm still in the IRR so I could jump in right where I left off and keep my rank of SGT (maybe even get a promotion to E-6).

I'm torn though. I got out of the army because I didn't like all the BS but still there is the definite pull on the heartstrings when friends say to me they want me there if they're going into danger. Do any of you have any suggestions? What would you folks do?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 31, 2003, 20:19   #2
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
Absolutely not. Why go fight and possibly die in a war that doesn't affect you?
Old January 31, 2003, 20:21   #3
Oerdin
Deity

The assumption is that the fighting would be over by the beginning of summer and this would then be garrason duty.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 31, 2003, 20:26   #4
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tough call.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 31, 2003, 20:26   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:29
I do not believe the fight would be ended by summer (remeber, Kosovo war was to last 3 days, not 3 months), and I do believe you could be sent to the field if things get ugly.
I'd advise to extreme caution in this one, and notably I'd advise you to know exactly when and under what circumstances you'll be able to leave. And most importantly, I'd advise you to take everything the military says as a blatant lie
Old January 31, 2003, 20:36   #6
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 10:29
What about the Geologist career? Will this interrupt things?
Old January 31, 2003, 20:39   #7
Oerdin
Deity

Yes, this would very much interrupt my career as a Geologist. OTOH, I got laid off last month so any interuption would be with a job which is theoretical at this point.

I honestly do hope/think I will be able to get another position in the next couple of weeks. We'll see though and until then I'll just keep on 'polying.
Old January 31, 2003, 20:49   #8
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:29
Even if the fighting is over, how safe would an American soldier (reserve or otherwise) be in Iraq?
Old January 31, 2003, 21:30   #9
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 07:29
I know how you feel. My old Navy squadron did gulf duty during Desert Storm right after I got out. You will think about them, but I doubt you will reenlist.
Old January 31, 2003, 21:32   #10
DuncanK
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Even if the fighting is over, how safe would an American soldier (reserve or otherwise) be in Iraq?
There will be a little danger, but there probably wont be more loses than we are getting in Afganistan.
Old January 31, 2003, 21:57   #11
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

A friend invites you to join him in some foriegn, hostile country...

...and you're flattered?

Anyway, I agree with the general sentiment in this thread that you should wait a bit longer than the end-of-summer before thinking about going. Even if the fighting "ends" in summer, there will still be engagements LONG afterwards. Just look at Afghanistan for proof...

Whatever you decide...follow Buffy the Vampire Slayer's advice:

"Don't die."

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old January 31, 2003, 22:22   #12
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 11:29
Re: My old Army unit is going to Iraq; should I go too?
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I was on the phone with an old army buddy of mine from my old reserve unit today and he told me the unit is going to be activated at the beginning of summer and sent to Iraq. Supposedly the fighting will be over by then and the active duty army will begin handing over some of the day to day stuff over to reserve units.

Now comes the big question. My friend (a SFC) asked me if I would like to go too; he said there was a shortage of experienced men in the unit and everyone would be glade to have me if I would reenlist and come along. I admit I was really flattered that a friend who was going into danger wants me to go with him, but I'm not sure. Technically, I'm still in the IRR so I could jump in right where I left off and keep my rank of SGT (maybe even get a promotion to E-6).

I'm torn though. I got out of the army because I didn't like all the BS but still there is the definite pull on the heartstrings when friends say to me they want me there if they're going into danger. Do any of you have any suggestions? What would you folks do?

Well, not to be TOO tough on you, but just listen to yourself!

You are an NCO, possibly obtaining the grade of Staff. And you need us to give you direction? Be for real.

At this point in time, you should be able to make a call such as this. For real, this is easy, easy do it or not, what is gonna happen when the $H!T hits the fan if we are engaged ina battle?

Please, dont go, i wouldnt want an NCO asking people what he should do, if its ok or how committed he should be.

Make a decision and stick to it!

Peace

Troll
Old January 31, 2003, 22:32   #13
Demerzel
Warlord

One question,

Will garrison duty in Iraq with friends make you happier than being a geologist?

That's all you've got to ask yourself...
Old January 31, 2003, 22:33   #14
Ned
King

Go. If you do not, you will forever wish you had.
Old January 31, 2003, 22:36   #15
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
One question,

Will garrison duty in Iraq with friends make you happier than being a geologist?

That's all you've got to ask yourself...
Well, actually, you should ask yourself also if you are capable of handling supervision of troops and fulfillment of orders?

I mean, your happiness is one thing...BUT..so is the safety of your men,mission and those others down the line depending upon you.

Just some thoughts, you asked, so i am sharing some insights you may need to consider.

Peace

Troll

BTW, I got out 5 Feb 79 and would go back to defend the USA but not volunteer for a campaign that has no clear objectives.

If I was active, I would simply "DO" as ordered but as for re-upping, well, I would want it to be a clearly defined cause, if thats possible.

Troll
Old January 31, 2003, 22:36   #16
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

If I must be cynical about it, it will look great on your resume'.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 31, 2003, 23:13   #17
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

My last active day in the US Regular Army was July 29th, 1990. Saddam then invaded Kuwait August 4th, 1990.
In early January 1991, I saw news footage showing soldiers from a previous unit I was in 2 years previous counting "flash to bang" times in a forward bunker on the Irag border!
I spent 7 years of my life in the US Army, serving my country, ready and willing to fullfill the pleadge I took upon entering the military. However, I served my 7 years, and IMO when I ETS'd, why I had done more for my country than a lot of Americans had EVER done (and since you've also served, you know what I'm talking about). Therefore I'd politely decline the SFC's offer, as IMO this war will be over before you even can rummage up all your old BDU's!
Regardless of your decision, the best to you!

D

-=Vel=-
Old January 31, 2003, 23:18   #18
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Darsnan
My last active day in the US Regular Army was July 29th, 1990. Saddam then invaded Kuwait August 4th, 1990.
In early January 1991, I saw news footage showing soldiers from a previous unit I was in 2 years previous counting "flash to bang" times in a forward bunker on the Irag border!
I spent 7 years of my life in the US Army, serving my country, ready and willing to fullfill the pleadge I took upon entering the military. However, I served my 7 years, and IMO when I ETS'd, why I had done more for my country than a lot of Americans had EVER done (and since you've also served, you know what I'm talking about). Therefore I'd politely decline the SFC's offer, as IMO this war will be over before you even can rummage up all your old BDU's!
Regardless of your decision, the best to you!

D
I ETS'd 5 Feb 79..1/51 stationed Crailsheim Deutchland..

I wonder whatever happened to that unit?

I guess i am just an old geezer now and well, I am glad I had no combat duty, I would have gone and served, just i am not a War Monga...

Peace

Troll
Old February 1, 2003, 00:54   #19
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs
A friend invites you to join him in some foriegn, hostile country...

...and you're flattered?
It has more to do with a friend is facing possible death and he feels both he and our other friends would do do better if I was with them. That's what I was flattered about. I some how doubt I'll reenlist just because of it but still it's not every day a man tells you he feels like his chances of survival are better if your there.
Old February 1, 2003, 00:56   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Go. If you do not, you will forever wish you had.
That is one thing I'm afraid of Ned. I don't want to be the fat old man sitting around wishing he had done something different when he was in his mid-twenties.

Troll: I'm going to make up my mind and I'm certainly not going to ask any soldiers I've served with, however, you folks are just anonomous faces so there for you're safe. Get it? Besides I have a good four months still before the call has to be made so now is the perfect time to mull things over a bit.
Old February 1, 2003, 01:02   #21
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 18:29
Your buddies need you. Go. Don't let them down.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 1, 2003, 01:14   #22
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

please go
Old February 1, 2003, 01:16   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Do what your instincts say. If theyre saying go but you have doubts....go. If theyre saying dont go but you have doubts......dont go.
Old February 1, 2003, 01:31   #24
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:

That is one thing I'm afraid of Ned. I don't want to be the fat old man sitting around wishing he had done something different when he was in his mid-twenties.

Troll: I'm going to make up my mind and I'm certainly not going to ask any soldiers I've served with, however, you folks are just anonomous faces so there for you're safe. Get it? Besides I have a good four months still before the call has to be made so now is the perfect time to mull things over a bit.
But get this Oerdin, you dont know me from adam or whomever, My point is why ask a bunch of keyboard strikers?

I mean, something this important. well, just seems much too important than asking a bunch of unknowns, "anonymous faces" if you will.

As for watching over them, I would hope if you are called, flattered as you may be, be careful, do your job and come home to 'Poly and tell how brave you were and how America's fighting force stood tall, kicked buttocks and took names

I hope you go for the right reasons is all, not what we say or dont say, but what you decide!

Peace

Troll
Old February 1, 2003, 02:01   #25
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Quote:

It has more to do with a friend is facing possible death and he feels both he and our other friends would do do better if I was with them. That's what I was flattered about. I some how doubt I'll reenlist just because of it but still it's not every day a man tells you he feels like his chances of survival are better if your there.
And you could one-up him by convincing him not to go so soon.

Assuming end-of-summer scenario, if you wish to go with him, both of you should wait at least end-of-year before going. Hopefully by then things will have calmed down enough for rebuilding the country to begin in ernst.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:06   #26
Oerdin
Deity

With or without me the unit is scheduled to leave for Iraq at the beginning of summer. I'm in the IRR so currently my name is not on the list, but, if I choice to reenlist then my name would appear on the list. I think what I'm going to do is delay the final decision for as long as possible thus gaining time to evaluate how things are going in Iraq. If things are going well then I'll sign a one year extension doing 6-8 months of it in Iraq and if things are going poorly then I'll make sure to send them a really nice post card.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:28   #27
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:29
Quote:
With or without me the unit is scheduled to leave for Iraq at the beginning of summer. I'm in the IRR so currently my name is not on the list, but, if I choice to reenlist then my name would appear on the list. I think what I'm going to do is delay the final decision for as long as possible thus gaining time to evaluate how things are going in Iraq. If things are going well then I'll sign a one year extension doing 6-8 months of it in Iraq and if things are going poorly then I'll make sure to send them a really nice post card.

I agree with this.
I have much respect for you. Your obviously very honorable, as you are considering joining up with your fromer comrades in arms, and serving your country once again.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:42   #28
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:29
Go! I've heard the brothels of Baghdad has all kinds of special treats.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:48   #29
Oerdin
Deity

Arab brothels? I thought that would be anti-Islamic or something. When I was in Thailand there seemed to be prostitutes every where. You literally couldn't walk across the street without some prosititute asking you what your plans for the night were. I never par-took but still going into one of those "fish bowls" was something else and I'll never forget the donkey show.
Old February 1, 2003, 05:46   #30
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

If I were to go it would only be to go in with the attacking 'regular army'. Preferably with my old unit, the 2d ACR. The peacetime occupation forces aregoing to be under a microscope, and that means a double dose of brass bullshit. You'll be on a tight leash regarding getting loose, and 'keeping the peace'...wandering around in squad strength waiting for a bullet.

Other than that it ought to be a piece of cake.