Old February 17, 2001, 15:20   #1
Rift
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Game Status
Well...here's my current game progress. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm leading a custom faction located on a large continent with the Sunny Mesa on one end and the Monsoon Jungle on the other. My strongest soldiers are equipped with the Chaos Gun, but most of my troops are either Impact or Missile. I've eradicated money-loving Morgan, forced Miriam into submission, and hold a Pact with Santiago. My position is Planetary Governor, and my faction's power is unsurpassed...but barely. The University follows close behind, with their high tech level and Shard equipped troops. Zak has captured Deidre and Lal, whom I hope to free (although I AM having second thoughts about liberating Lal). They are on the far side of the map, and the only way I can get there is through destroyer transport. The only positive thing is that I managed to grab the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm first, which prevents the University from building a barrier between them and their greatest disadvantage. I've also gotten Miriam and Santiago to declare vendetta against the arrogant little worm, effectively getting Zak to be despised by all of Chiron...except for the little fact that my pact-mates have no idea where in hell Zak is, and that Zak is twice as strong as they are. Any strategies for overcoming the professor's menace without going on an all out war with his faction? I plan on robbing him of all his techs to get my troops to the same technological level as his, and then blowing his rear end all the way back to Earth, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a better strategy. And one more thing...I want to avoid using the PB due to the fact that I'll piss off the native species.
Old February 17, 2001, 15:51   #2
stuntman19
Prince

The specs on your custom faction would prolly be needed to devise several options of which you might use. It would IMO be more effective to utilize your probes to steal tech then to free captured leaders.
If you do later commit atrocities without repealing the charter they will turn on you, and the benefits in comparison to success rate has a big down side.
Old February 17, 2001, 19:03   #3
Rift
Chieftain

I see your point...but there are two reasons why I'm thinking about liberating the faction leaders. Primarily, the game gets pretty boring with only 3 competitors. I wouldn't even take out Morgan if I didn't have to...but he's a potential threat, and can become a deadly opponent when his wallet gets full and he goes subversion-happy. Subversion is something military force can't counter. A second reason is because when Lal and Deirdre rises back to power, there's probably a good chance they'll hate Zak's guts (actually, I'm not sure of this, but they should, logically), and two extra enemies can be quite an extra load to contend with. As for specs...I'll have to say my faction is modeled much like the Spartans (+2 Morale) with free prototypes. That's not all though...but I doubt that the other building blocks would be much help in a war. One more thing I forgot to mention...exactly how much special abilities can you give your faction? It seems that if I give too much, many of them don't work, even if they balance each other out...
Old February 17, 2001, 21:12   #4
stuntman19
Prince

If you're not going to commit any atrocities freeing a leader can work for you in having a military and research ally. I've never freed a leader on the first attempt and only on a multiple try on the same turn with a probe with elite standing. My guess is they made it that way to make it harder to accomplish. So once you've stolen all available tech it may be worth your while to try it.

As for custom factions, is it one you made or a download of some kind? Either way you should run some scenario type turns and check SE settings to make sure the + and - are showing up in game. The faction editor can be somewhat buggy and you may have to alter the faction txt itself. I think if you make a setting too strong and then have SE setting that puts it at +6 it recycles back to 0. Example would be the Data Angels reaching +6 and actually having a Zero probe bug.
Old February 17, 2001, 22:14   #5
Rift
Chieftain

I created the faction myself...what I mean is say I put free prototype and command center, then none of them would take effect, but if you take away command center, then FREEPROTO would take effect. Also, a slight update...I've done a quick review of my pactmates, and to my astonishment, found that Miriam's bases are mostly size 7...this can prove to be a potential problem. Somehow, both Santiago and Miriam both beat me to fusion weapons. I've manage to sacrifice one probe team for advance spaceflight and mind/machine interface, so I can now produce Shard equipped troops and copters...but one problem..the Univ has alot more.
Old February 17, 2001, 22:56   #6
stuntman19
Prince

If using the faction editor, under faction list faction bonus\free facility\command center. Then go into rules and highlight free prototype and you should get both.

With command center and a +morale combined with a power SE you should be able to have an elite ground force. If you combine that with some air support you should be fairly powerful against the AI.
Old February 18, 2001, 00:08   #7
Travathian
Warlord

Local Time: 21:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Did Zak build the VW? If so, that city should be target #1. If not, choose a city which will be easy to defend once you take it.

Your assault force should include a good number of a variety of defenders. Be prepared to defend against psi/air/rovers. Use artilery on roads around the target base. This will slow down opposing ground attacks and allow you to attack them first. Offensively, use copters to destroy oncoming attackers. He'll start sending everything he has, so make sure you have enough cash to rush build a good unit every turn. Then bust out the probes. Steal tech til you're even, then destroy drone reducing base facilities. Remember that Zak has drone issues to begin with, do your best to compound the problem. Force him to go to Police State and planned/green to fight drones, thus slowing his tech advance.

Now, while you're doing all of this, you're building the real invasion force. Zak will have sent all of his forces to try and get back that one city, thus leaving most of his other ones lightly defended. You'd be surprised, but the AI will send defensive type units to the front lines to try and take back a city. Assuming you've repealed the UN, destroy cities as you go. If not sell drone reducing base facilities and leave lightly or undefended. Make sure each turn you destroy another base facility. If you move units but dont attack, remember to destroy tile enhancements.

Worse case scenario, he repels your attack, but should have taken considerable infrastructure damage. Before he takes a base, give it to Santiago, thus ensuring her hatred of him/love of you, and letting her know where to go and attack. With this done, go Dem/FM/Wealth and heavy on the tech. Gain a serious tech advantage then go finish the job on your terms.
Old February 18, 2001, 12:30   #8
Rift
Chieftain

Thanks for the help, stunt and trav.