Old February 1, 2003, 21:13   #1
Prince Jason
Warlord

Local Time: 07:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An Empire at War
This story I am importing from civfanatics, as I am told more replies come from this site. Here is the civfanatic link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=43267

An Empire at War

The Spanish goverrnment began with a small settlement along the Jucar River, in the city of Madrid. It wasn't long before the next few cities began popping up from the power of Madrid, like Bacelona on the opposite side of Costa del Sol. The Empire soon stretched from the Bay of Biscay in the very north, to the Vitoria peninsula in the far east. Wasn't long before the Celts, occupiers of the vital trade routes to Egypt, and the fertile grasslands of the northeast, began to become a nuissance to Spain.

Mario jumped from his horse as he reached the fort in Murcia. Murcia was the only city within the Gobi desert, the hottest and driest place in the Empire. Only a small river, named the Gobi river, ran through this forsaken land. It had been settled by Spanish people earler this century, so all the monuments and homes were of modern age, thatch and mud brick.

Mario's wife's family were the first settlers in Murcia, who set up a farming community. For a long time the family strived off of the black silt of the river for their food and export.

Murcia hadn't gorwn much from the first settlers, still only comprising of a dozen families and small homes, shops, a market street, and a fort for the empire. The desert was of strategic importance, if captured it could be the opening for enemy troops into the fertile central plains of Spain, and the even more fertile grasslands of Madrid.

Ezabella, wife of the traveler, rushed from her saggy mud brick house to greet Mario. His children, all four of his sons, rushed to greet his father as well. The oldest, six year old Michael, was greatly apprecietive of his father's return. He was the first one to make it to him, and hugged him the longest. Mario felt the huge bruden of leaving and missing his family vanish from his shoulders. He had been away for close to six months with the Emperor Ferdinand to discuss the war with the Celts that placed Spain on high alert. Mario had come to take his family away from the target city and back top Madrid with him.

"We have missed you father. Have you come to take us with you?" a gleam of hope sparkeled in his eyes.
"Yes, Michael, you will come with me now. You, your brothers, and your mother." A smile, stretching from ear to ear, appeared and he ran to his home, supposedly to start packing. Finally, Ezabella caught up to Mario. Wearing brown cowskin tunic, and purple veil around her neck, her adnormally blue eyes brought out her whole face. Letting a sigh of relief escape hs lungs, Mario hugged his wife who was holding their twins, whome he had never seen before. She had given birth to the twin boys, youngest of the family, while he was in Madrid. The family, arms around their shoulders, walked back to the small mud-brick house. Young Michael to the doorway as they were making their way to the house, with a smile his face and laughing, then ran back inside without saying anything.

The next day, Mario decided to wake early to travel to Gobi river. He decided he needed to bathe from the long trip, but didn't want to waste one moment of time with his family while they were awake. If he went while they were sleeping, he thought, then he wouldn't miss anything. Grabbing loin clothes and untieing his horse, he rode off into the rising sun, along the small canal that brought the water to Murcia.

The path was peaceful at this time, quiet with only the sound of the hoofs on the hard ground and the snorting of the horse. Wind rustled the small amount of leaves that fell from only a dozen trees in this area, and wished up sand to the air. It wasn't long before the running of water reached the ears of the rider, he heeled his horse for more speed. Trotting now, the river became in sight. A small cove, gaurded by large granite rocks, would serve the purpose of Mario's presence. As he demounted, he worried of his family, as such was the normal case of when he was away, even if it be only half a mile.

Mario threw his rough shirt on one of the rocks that were dry, and dived into the small cove. The water felt cold, and lonely. The bottom lay in darkness, but Mario began to wash and so was the custom of the Gods Order to dip oneself under the water for a ten count. So under Mario went, and when ten seconds were over he came breaking the top of the water. When he came, he had company.

Based on a game with me and EQandCivFanatic. Italized part idea of EQ.

Comments VERY apprecietive.

Map to come after this post, and next chapter later today or tomorrow.

Jason
Old February 1, 2003, 21:13   #2
Prince Jason
Warlord

Here is the map of the Spanish empire near this time.

Old February 1, 2003, 21:14   #3
Prince Jason
Warlord

WARNING, THE FOLLOWING STORY HAS VERY GORY CONTENT, PLEASE BE ADVISED

"Mr. Gonzales, Murcia, your family, people - " the servant was out of breath.

"Sergio, what are you talking about? Have you ran all the way from town?"

"Sir, your family is in danger!" he managed to say. Mario couldn't think. He was forzen in the water. His mind independently went through all the possibilities of what could be happening, and he was wanting to go but his feet lay frozen.

"Mister!" the servant yelled. Mario instantly snapped back to reality, and hurried out of the water. Sergio handed him his shirt, "Sergio, I must hurry. I take it you can fend for yourself from here?"

"Yes sir. Go!" He yelled. Mario smacked ticked his tongue summoning his horse. The black stallion quickly galloped to his side, and Mario swung himself up like a veteran. "Onward!" he yelled, and jabbed his heel into the side of the horse.

The wind rushed by his ears, making a whistling sound, the ground looked blurry, and the horse's hooves went to the rythm of Mario's heartbeat. He couldn't help but keep wondering what was wrong, and shifting through all the possibilities. Lurching over the hill, he gasped. The whole town was on fire, and the very air above the town was littered with arrows and shouts. Into the streets he went, and headed towards his home where he prayed his family lay huttled in the corner.

As the horse approached the town, an arrow found its way into the chest of the beast. It went down hard, flinging Mario upward, and meeting its conclusion against a wooden pole supporting a home. His back his first, and his rest of the body followed out by pulling the body down. He lay there, unconscience.

When he came too, the shouts had ceased. The sky was pitch black with smoke. Still not in control of his body, he lay there trying to recouperate. While he lay there in silence, he picked up on a conversation that sounded like it cam from around the corner of the home he was sat up again.

"Sir, we have captured the town, every Spanish slain."

"And the citizens?"

"Slain as well. Have you scouted the surrounding area? Any enemies?"

"No, sir, it is all clear. The desert is ours. Shall I give the orders back to Entremont for the full assault?"

"Yes immedietly." Silence took over then, and as he heard the people stirring in the home, Mario slowly got up, and begin slowly heading towards his home.

He had to avoid Celtic soldeirs many times, but finally got to his home. When he pulled the cow skin blanket away and entered his home, he was welcomed with a gravesite. Blood stained the mud walls, and body parts lay across the floor.

Mario could feel his heart speed up, his head filled with blood. His fists clenched so hard it punctured the skin, and began bleeding. A rage evolved from the pain, and his love soon diminished to anger. Running to his room, he dodged stepping on the remains of his son Michael, and when he got to his room, he saw his wife on the hay bed, legs spread, and throat slit. The twins lay smashed against the far wall, brains smeared over the floor. Tears of rage drained from his eyes as he made his way to his chest.

Pulling open the lid, he had to move a small, baby arm that lay on top. Pulling out his hard leather suit revealed his short sword, small bronze dagger, a long bow and a bundle of arrows suited in a hoist. Quickly changing into his leather, he swung his the arrows onto his back, his arm between the string and the bow, placeing the dagger on his left side of his belt, the sword on the right.

He looked one last time at his home, and exited his house.

Sorry for the Gore, but it is necessary, lol.

Comments appreciated.

Jason
Old February 1, 2003, 23:33   #4
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

Local Time: 09:33
Pretty good, I'd suggest checking for spelling, some things were off, also try to focus on making your sentences smaller and clearer. Otherwise, I like the tale, keep writing.
Old February 2, 2003, 06:09   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:33
I normally complain about to much gore but I think in the context of the story the scene depicted is necessary. Great start most riveting, and very much looking forwaed to some more.

Our goobers right about some minor typos, would be better if you edit these out. However Prince Jason welcome to poly and hope the feedback helps.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 2, 2003, 15:32   #6
Prince Jason
Warlord

well, i just finished writing the most I have ever written, and in my attmept to swat a gnat, i pressed the damned Escape button, and all of my work was lost. If i feel like it, I will rewrite it tonight.
Old February 2, 2003, 16:55   #7
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Welcome to 'Poly, Jason.

I read your story over at CFC, but didn't comment, since I am not registered there.

Any ways, I like this one. Like the folks above said, there are some typos here and there, but I still think the story is good.

Secondly, I hope the loss of a chapter will not discourage you very much... We are all looking forward to more.
Spore page
Old February 2, 2003, 21:44   #8
Prince Jason
Warlord

It was now mid day, and the sun was high in the sky. Mario desperatly searched for shade to walk under, but was to no prevail. It was silent along the streets until he reached a corner, from where he could hear voices mumbling.

"...trying to get away. I then slammed the babies into the wall, and threw the whore onto the bed - " Mario appeared from around the corner, dagger in his hand, and bow ready for deployment. Before the three Celts could react, Mario threw the dagger strait into the face of the taller, and let loose two arrows into the chests of the others. They fell, gurgled blood spilling from their mouths. Mario walked up and pulled out his dagger from the skull of the dead man, and continued on his way.

He was relieved to have avenged his family, but walking down the empty street brought tears again to his eyes. My family had been murdered, brutally murdered, he thought, and I will have my revenge on the man who ordered this attack. Wiping his tears from his face, he entered a wooden building that bore the sign "Case del Caballo", or House of the Horse, the stable of Murcia.

The stable smelt of death. It was a long house, with a row of stables on the far side of the wall and a small isle in front of them all. At the end was a man leaning against the wall, his shirt saoked in red blood. Mario looked at the remaining horses, and chose a brown male, the healthiest looking horse in the stable. Mario unlatched the wooden gate, and ticked his tongue for the horse to come.

Riding outside the stable, Mario took out his map of the Iberian Peninsula and surrounding areas, of which he was in. To get to Madrid, he would take Guadalajara trail south. With a hard pull, the horse turned towards south, and began a gallop. Wind strained Mario's eyes, and he wasn't aware he was being shot at before an arrow flew right in front of him. Drawing his bow and an arrow from his back, he turned his torso to face the rear. The horse kept going.

Another arrow was shot from the roof of a house they were passing, and another from the other side. Pulling the string back with the arrow hoisted in, Mario squinted against the sun to see who it was that was shooting at him. Come on, he thought, show yourselves, cowards! Soon enough, a head popped over the roof, and Mario's arrow was let loose before the man could blink. It dug itself strait into the head of the Celt, as he fell backward.

On the other side of the street, arrows were being fired constantly. Seeing the location of the archer was enough for Mario, and he let loose four arrows in two seconds, all heading towards locations where the archer could be. Surely enough, with the coming down of his second arrow, the sky remained clean of any enemy shots.

Mario turned back around, only to see a wooden wall with more then ten archers peering over it. One of them began to scream orders in the Celtic tongue, the rest were taking up positions and pulling out their arrows. Mario knew he didn't have a chance against all of them, but it was the last obstacle to get through before he was out of the city, and there were no side streets. If he turned back, he would surely be shot in the back. "Yah!" he yelled, "Yah!" while digging his heel into the horses side. To his amazement, the horse picked up speed, taking Mario faster then he had ever dreamed of going. The Celts looked wide eyed as the horse closed in on them faster then they would have expected. Gliding over the wooden barrier, the horse landed perfectly on the other side, and was now in the open. Quickly, arrows began pouring in on them, and as soon as Mario began to turn around, he felt a deep hard pain in his shoulder. Reaching over with his right arm, he pulled out an arrow that was lodged in his left shoulder. Grimising in pain, he grabbed a hold of the horse and ducked down. Soon enough, they were out of the range of the archers.

The moon was high in the sky, and Mario was near the fire he had just built. He lay there, weeping and remembering his wife on the bed, and the twins. The horse came from behind him, and nudged Mario with it's nose, snorting and moving it's feet. Mario got up and tried to forget about what he had saw. He empraced the horse, and rubbed its face,

"You are a fast horse, aren't you?" The horse snorted again, "I will call you Relámpago, for you are as fast as lightning."

The next morning, Mario was on his horse at sunrise. Debating on which way was south, he remember Mount Diablo, and found the old peak in the horizon. Reaching for Relámpago, he swung himself up onto the back, and began a gallop towards the mountain. He had always wanted to wander through this strange nature (mountains are very uncommon in Spain (in this game of course)), but knew his trail would lead him east of the mountain, traveling around it other then over it.

Mario rode for five days straight, making camp in the vacant desert, and then the Central Plains of Spain, and then finally in the fertile Madrid grassland. Peering over a hill, he finally had view of Madrid. Surrounded by small plots of farmland, and then a stone wall, were buildings four stories tall, of great colors and magnitude. In the middle was a gigantic temple, dedicated to Faller, the God of Madrid. Surrounding the huge temples and towers were small huts made of wood and stone. In the north eastern corner lay the Great Library of Spain, the largest library in all of the world, which inside houses ancient manuscripts and tales of adventure. The Palace lay in the south part of the city, gaurded by numerous towers and gates. Mario tapped Relámpago, and began to slowely make their way to the great city.

Entering through a huge arch, they were immedietly encompassed in a crowd of frenzy. Market Street was filled of people selling food and goods at stands along the sides, and people pushing through in the middle. Easily seeing above them on Relámpago, Mario made his way through the city. People regarded him as a rich man, being on a horse, and many times he was stopped by a beggar, who he "shoo'ed" away. Finally making his way to the Palace, he tied Relámpago to the horse poll, and walked his way up the 100 marble steps to the huge stone and marble palace. The gaurds immedietly recognized Mario as the friend of the King.

Mario made his way, untouched by any of the guards, to the throne room. He opened both of the large wooden doors and entered what seemed like the wealth of Spain. Inside the room, the walls were lined with silver and gold decorations of the Spanish emplem (two clenched fists crossing). All the statues were made of gold, as well as the King's crown. His many robes he was wearing most likely all came from Egypt, land of the riches.

The King rose from his thrown, saying,

"Ahh, Mario, what a nice surprise! What brings you back to Madrid?"

"You highness," Mario said while bowing, "Murcia has been taken by the Celts in a surprise attack. Every citizen has brutally slain, including my wife and children." King Ferdinand looked wide eyed, and fell back into his chair, with a look of horror on his face.

"There should be no bromeando [joking] in my throne room. Tell me, is this farce or are you telling me Spain is being invaded?"

"You highness, I would never joke about my family being - " Mario choked, he felt tears filling up in his eyes "I would never joke of my family being killed." he said, clearing his throat. Ferdinand sat there, starring off into space, in a deep thought.

"Your highness, shall I -" Mario was interrupted,

"By who?" the King asked.

"They spoke Celtic, and wore the traditional feathered helmet of the Celts."

"The Celts?! That dirty Brennus, I shall have the heads of him and his sons!" He yelled, getting up and began to walk towards what is dubbed " the war room", where him and his generals make plans in times of war.

"Mario, come with me, " he yelled, "and someone summon the Egyptian ambassador!"

Thank you all for the feedback.

I will be editing more closely all my work from now on, and be watching my sentences.

Jason
Old February 3, 2003, 20:32   #9
Prince Jason
Warlord

The room was elaborate, though not as elaborate as the throne room. Rare black wood made the table and chairs. In middle of the room sat the huge solid black table, with the crossed arms int he middle. It gave off a death feeling, thought Mario. Generals soon began pouring in, wearing blue uniforms of veteran status, and soon the King's sons poured in, taking thier seats near their father. Mario preceded towards the exit, but before he made it out King Ferdinand spoke,

"Mario, stay. I will need you, friend." The King referred to the long days of their childhood, when they were both sons of royalty, but the Ferdinand wasn't appointed King yet. Mario remembered those days vividly, with their forts and exploring in the old Spanish tundra. After 12, however, Ferdinand was appointed King, and they soon grew far apart. The breaking point was when Mario joined the military and was sent to the far reaches of the Spanish Portugal, in the east. Fifteen years had passed, the two best friends seperated from eachother. Finally, Mario was released from his command, and traveled home to Murcia. Within a month, he packed his bags and visited Ferdinand in Madrid, and then he came home to Murcia where are story started.

"Of course, King." Mario replied gently, and took a seat behind the King. The Egyptian ambassador came in right about then, a woman under the name of Cleopatra the Diplomat. Her hair was pitch black, which brought out her beautiful cheek bones that was the trademark of Egyptian women. However, beauty only reminded Mario of his wife, and so he had to force himself not to look at her anymore.

I suddenly got writers block around there, sorry for the short insert, lol. I will try and continue tonight or tomorrow if I can get my mind strait again.

Jason
Old February 3, 2003, 20:39   #10
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Very nice story. It is getting much better when you are careful about typing it up. Not that spelling matters that much, but still it is so much nicer to read a correctly worded and spelled chapter.

I like the latest two installments quite a bit. And don't worry about the writers' block. We are all subject to it form time to time. Though don't take too long either.

Spore page
Old February 3, 2003, 21:22   #11
Prince Jason
Warlord

Thanks!
Old February 4, 2003, 14:07   #12
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Great stuff PJ
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:10   #13
Prince Jason
Warlord

The room remain silent as the Egyptian woman sat in her seat. When everyone was settled, the King said,

"Friends, we have been betrayed. The desert town of Murcia has fallen victim to a surprise attack by our neighbors, the Celts, by order of their King Brennus. I call you here to speak of the matter at hand, and to discover the correct solution to this." The room remained silent for a while as the crowd soaked in the news.

"Lets hit them where it hurts, take the Gold Peaks and their iron source now! We have to forces to hit them and hold it!" General Miguel Rodriguez yelled, while standing up and slamming hist fist on the table.

"No, you Majesty. Why use our forces when we can pay someone else to use theirs?" Secretary of Treasury smiled, eyeing Cleopatra.

"Ferdinand," spoke the ambassador, remaning absolutly still, "Egypt has always wanted the Celtic city of Alesia, which splits our two nations. With control of this city, we may have more control of our trade. I am sure I will have no trouble convincing my Queen to aid you in your war. However, we will not wage this war alone. Spain will indeed need to participate, Egypt will not be bribed to waste lives."

"Of course, of course, Cleopatra. I have no intentions of leaving our Egyptian friends in the cold. Spanish archers shall take Murcia back, and our Swordsmen shall march to Lugdunum, the vital link between Madrid and our iron sources in Portugal. Thank you gentlemen, and Cleopatra." The King rose, and in instict the rest of the cabinate rose as well. Men slowely filed out of the room, but before Mario exited, Ferdinand motioned for him and Cleopatra to remain with him.

"Mario, I want to ask of you a favor." he said, Cleopatra remained in her seat.

"Anything, your majesty."

"I want you to lead my archers to Murcia. Wait, before you say no, I want you to hear me out. I know you are retired, and tired, but you are still the best archer in Spain, and possibly the world. You have great commanding skills, shown in your past victories of the Assyrian barbarians in Spanish Tundra. And you are my friend, a person I can trust. Since you are my friend, I will not force you as King to do this task, but only ask you." Mario looked puzzled. Would it really be this easy?

"Your Majesty... Ferdinand, of course I will lead your armies. I am obliged you would give me a chance to revenge my pour family. I was going to ask you, but I feared you would think of me too old, or too damaged. I am glad you think of me able to lead an army."

"Great! The it is settles. You shall have the 1st and 2nd Madrid archers, and the 3rd Barcelona archers as well as the 5th Spearmen of Barcelona. You will need to gather the archers yourself, meaning traveling to Barcelona."

"Yes your majesty."

"And Cleopatra, please remember to tell your Queen of these events. Attack as soon as possible, as we shall within the month. Thank you." Cleopatra rose without bending her back or any kind of facial expression, and silently floated out of the room. Mario shook his friend's hand, and also left the room.

Walking down the palace steps, Mario was again embraced in the busy streets of Madrid. He proceded to the barracks of the city, on the outer rim, barely within the walls.

The barracks was made of stone, neatly placed within eachother to make tight fits and made the barracks the most modern building within the city. A wooden fence surrounded the barracks, with a small opening gaurded by a couple gaurds in gear. Walking towards them, they soon spotted Mario.

"Hello, sir. May we help you?" The commander said. He was easily identified by the blue woolen cape he wore.

"Yes, I was sent from the king and - " He was cut off,

"Ah yes, Mario I presume? We have had word of your coming. Please, follow me." Mario assumed walking through the opening, all the while wondering how someone could have reached here before him to inform the commander of his coming and duties.

"General Mario, may I introduce Simone, commander of the 1st Madrid archers, and I am LeParte, commander of the 2nd archers. Are soldeirs are equipped and ready, shall we depart today?" LeParte asked.

"Yes, we shall depart now and make towards Barcelona. Hook the caravans up, and we shall leave." Mario turned to leave, when LeParte said,

"Sir, King Ferdinand has asked us to give you this," he said, while handing Mario a folded blue cape with a star in the center, signafying a General, and a short sword. Mario bowed while taking the items, and left.
Old February 5, 2003, 10:22   #14
Prince Jason
Warlord

The whole path, for a fourth of a mile, was occupied by troops. The marching echoed in the valley, and the clanging of their iron weapons pierced the peacefulness that was of the rolling hills and hidden valleys of the Madrid grasslands. Mario recalled, just yesterday, he was riding through here alone on his way to Madrid. It had been a hard few days for him, hardest in his life. And they weren't over yet.

"Sir," Commander LeParte said while walking alongside Relámpago, "Commander Simone and myself believe it is a nice time to set up camp, do you agree?" And for the first time Mario looked around and noticed it was night, the moon hidden above the clouds.

"Yes, set up camp. Get some men to gather wood for a couple fires." The nodding of the commanders represented they understood, and turned away.

----------------------------

The camp was noisy to say the least. Not a place to rest thought Mario. The caravan wagons were spread throughout the camp, and tents dotted the space that was level. Fires were seen about ever twenty feet. There was music by the fiddle and drums and so of course there was dancing.

Mario had set up gaurds at 8 sections, all circling the encampment. They were either placed on huge rocks and boulders, or ontop of high hills. Each carried a torch to signal to the other if there was a problem.

Gerald, the gaurd of the north eastern corner, was sitting on a rock that overlooked a dark and very steep ravine. Hardly anything was visible but the last few steps to where he sat. His weaponry and shield lay next to him. It was cold, with a small breeze that brought shivers to anyone not properly suited, like Gerald. He had gotten hot setting up the tents and disposed of his warmer suit, and then forgot to bring it up here. He cursed at himself for his stupid mistake. In the middle of his self curses, he noticed a little opject move out of the corner of his right eye. Right away he turned to face the creature to see three men, standing six feet high each, looking back at him. Gerald made a quick dash for his weapons but already felt the sharp pain of an arrow in his neck. Struggling for air, he fell down with his hands over the bleeding wound, with his eyes wide in pain. His torch was knocked over and tumbled down the ravine.

On the north outpost, Julio was on gaurd, but also playing with his thumbs in boredom. Only once in while did he look to his sides to see the torches of his comrades. Looking to his right he noticed the light of his friend gone. Gasping, he took off to the command tent.

Have to stop there for now, out of time.

Thanks for reading.

Jason
Old February 8, 2003, 14:56   #15
Prince Jason
Warlord

The noisy night grew even more noisy. From the north came riders on horses, and archers bearing the Celtic head dress. The Spanish were not at all ready for the attack, most of their weapons were in their tents. The few that did have their bows and short swords dodged to defend those who were unarmed. The Spanish fighters were outnumbered, and the Celts were on horseback and some had large spears. It was a fight Mario knew they couldn't win. Grabbing Relámpago, Mario slipped up on it's back and equipped himself with a bow and some arrows.

Already, it looked to be hundreds of Spanish on the ground, arrows petruding through their chests and faces. Yet their were still many fighting, and Mario had to help, not run.

"Reds, on me!" He yelled, signalling the rest of the red company that were part of the 1st Madrid Archers. Soon he had close to 110 archers huddling around his horse, behind a tent.

"Go to the hills," he yelled over the battle cries, pointing to the east hill that loomed over the camp, "and shoot anyone you can. Hold that position, aid the fighters down here." They immedietly formed into two lines, and began to run to the hill top. Their march in complete unision. Mario drew his short sword and headed out to the battle.

"2nd Madrid, on me!" he yelled, and soon their formed a line of 400 archers behind him.

"1st Madrid, attack!" and the rest of the archers dropped their bows and unleashed their swords. Mario galloped into the midst of it, with his sword out as well. The 2nd Madrid were providing support, as well as the Reds were sniping anyone and everyone they saw. The battle was soon turing to the side of the Spanish.

Mario was in utter rage again, thinking of his dead family spread through his house. One Celt, about 5 feet high, yelled as he charged at Mario. The rider quickly swiped the man's head off, only to find it was a young boy after the head dress fell off. Mario realized that the Celts were being forced into this war. Not voluntarringly would a thirteen-year old boy join the army.

The fighting raged on into the night, and then into sunrise. At midday the fighting had finally finished, the Spanish vicotorious. Half of the Spanish there had been slain, their bodies roasting in the sun of that hot day. Soon, the rider Mario had sent before the battle had started returned to say that the Barcelonian divisions were on the same trail behind him.

It wasn't long before the men were on the trail again, marching north.

The next night Mario was in the command tent, observing the map of Murcia and the Gobi desert. There's no way the Celts could possibly reinforce Murcia before sending this army to attack Madrid. He thought. Into the night he studied the map, until finally finding sleep with his head on the many books and maps on the table.

In the morning, he told LeParte and Simone that Murcia should be very lightly gaurded, if at all gaurded. And so they packed up camp, and the troops began to march again, within that day they shall reach Murcia.

They met with the Barcelona archers and spearmen that hour, which more then doubled their numbers. The next four hours past slowely, as they were now within the hot Gobi desert.

The whole time, Mario was thinking of his boy, Michael, and how he always wanted to join the military like his father. He had even met Ferdinand once, and performed like a soldier, with all the proper maneauvers and bows. He had made Mario so proud that day.

Finally, the army had Murcia in the horizon. Scouts were sent ahead to esitmate the enemy number, only to come back with news that they had not encountered any Celts, and that the people were planning a parade when the Spanish arrived! Appearantly not all of the population had died, but had escaped to the river!

This news heartened the soldeirs, and Mario, so they picked up pace. The city was clean again, with its golden homes and pebble streets. The people had planned a whole ceremony for the arrival of the Spanish, and rejoiced in the knowledge that they had won the battle. All Mario could think about was sleep as the whole town began to party, the mayor tapping the town's supply of wine.

He soon found his home, but was scared of entering it for he feared his family still be spread amongst the walls. Opening the doors, he was relieved that the home lay in perfect order, and looked as if nothing had happened. He continued to his room, but stopped in the doorway. All of a sudden he saw his wife on the bed, his twins in the corner. Shaking his head cleared the thoughts, and he saw a clean room with the bed made and a table cleaned. He knew he wouldn't be able to stay here, and started to walk towards La Posada durmiente, the town inn.

Mario awoke the next day to see a man standing over him. He spoke in clean Spanish, that of the Royal accent.

"Commander Mario," he said, "I bring you news of the war from King Ferdinand himself, and orders on what to do next." Mario soon sat up, rubbing his eyes. The messager continued, "King Ferdinand is happy to inform you of his vicotorious armies over Lugdunum, and is happy to hear of your victory in the Madrid Grasslands, and of here in Murcia."

"He is also happy to inform you of the Egyptian victory over Celtic Alesia, and the peace treaty signed by him, Brennus, and Cleopatra. He regrets to inform you that Spain's ally has been betrayed and the French have already taken the city of Heliopolis in the northern parts of Egypt. Honoring the alliance, the King has ordered you take your remaining troops to France and aid the Egyptians in whatever you can." Mario was speechless.

Thats it for now.

Thanks for reading, and comments are really useful!

Jason
Old February 9, 2003, 05:52   #16
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Great stuff, I cant wait to read the french campaign
Old February 10, 2003, 03:26   #17
Prince Jason
Warlord

There was no front line in Egypt. The archers from Madrid and Barcelona was now known as 1st Company, and consisted of 1,000 archers, 500 spearmen, and 500 swordsmen. The spearmen, always in the front, were out of sight within minutes in the jungle density.

The humidity itself was choking Mario, not to mention the extreme lack of water. That's what the great Egypt lacked, the vital fresh water. They had ample jungle water, but it was usually contaminated by some disease. Water for the soldiers must be imported all the way from Spain, definitely leaving the rear trade routes very vital.

This was the least of Mario's worries, though. According to Egyptian reports, invading French forces numbering possibly more then twice of 1st Company was directly ahead of his soldiers. After a couple minutes when the spearmen left, Mario silently signaled the archers to split, and one half go to the right and the other to the left. This would hopefully encircle the French, and then the swordsmen would move in for the kill. These were the kinds of tactics Mario was famous for in Spain, and the reason why Ferdinand had sent him.

When he had lost sight of the archers, he and the swordsmen began to move forward. Soon catching up with the spearmen, Mario came up alongside LeParte, former commander of the 2nd Madrid archers, and now commander of the 1st Company spearmen. LeParte was breathing hard, and wore green paint that masked his face, with a full suit of leather armor.

"Any sign of the French?" Mario whispered. LeParte looked startled to see Mario. He didn't hear or see him creep up to him. The trees formed a sun block, and little light if any got through.

"Yes, see that?" He said, slowly pointing to a pink sliver in the dark trees. “My tree-climbers count more then 3,000 in the area between 1st Company. They haven’t shown any sign of seeing us." LeParte stopped, staring at Mario. He was obviously waiting for the order to attack.

Mario stood up, and signaled for the trumpeteer. He came running up, stumbling over roots and hitting branches.

"Sir!" he yelled. Mario's face went to fright as he brought his hand to meet the trumpeteer's face. What an idiot! he thought. He may of just gave away the lives of all his men. Mario jutted a glance at LeParte, who brought his finger and thumb to an "ok" sign.

"Blow the horn." The trumpeteer brought the golden trumpet to his lips, and out came the battle cry. It was met with a loud yell from the soldiers. The swordsmen began to run in, and with them came Mario.

The French turned to retreat so they could gather for a counter attack before the swordsmen reached them, but only to be met behind them with the archers.

"Fire!" Cried Simone as the archers let loose their first round of arrows. The whole front line of the French fell down, which made it more difficult for the second line to continue.

"Aim, Fire!" He cried again, and the archers let loose another round. By this time the Spanish had caught up with them began to slaughter the unprepared French. Mario ran into the midst of the battle, sliding his new long sword strait into a French, and right out again. The whole world went deaf to him, as he slashed another soldiers chest, spurting blood over his blue cape. A red haired man began running at him with an axe, and let it loose at an alarming rate. Mario instinctively ducked, the axe continuing onto finding the chest of a pink-coat (French). Hearing only his breathing now, Mario grew tired.

Arrows were everywhere, and if it weren't for the extensive training the Spanish went through, they would have certainly hit Mario by now. Forcing himself to continue fighting, Mario flung his sword up to block an incoming blow, and pushed a powerful kick into the man's stomach, leaving him on the ground. The sword slid in and out of his stomach easily.

Turning around there was yet another pink coat. This time the first swing came from the enemy as Mario ducked, he forced his own sword up into the belly of the man. He fell over, his face in utter pain. Just then another man came from Mario's side, swinging his sword hard and quick. Mario was just barely able to bring his own to meet the French. However, from the recent blood on Mario's sword, the French's slipped down the blade and sliced Mario's shoulder. The cold hard iron dug deeply into his flesh, bringing blood to gush out the wound. Winching in pain, Mario was forced to drop his sword and step back. He could only stare in pain at the oncoming man, his sword drawn and ready to slice into Mario and end all this.

An arrow whistled past Mario's ear and struck through the face of the swordsman. He fell backwards from the force the arrow gave. Mario looked back to see LeParte grinning at him, then turning away and delivering more arrow into the bodies of the French army. Mario quickly grabbed his sword and made his way to the safe spearmen. They were hidden underneath densely grown brush, their spears ready to jut upwards at an enemy appearance. Mario passed this fortification, to make his way to the Spanish camp. Cutting much leaves and greenery, he finally made his way to the meadow, the light burning his eyes. There he found it peaceful, with the occasional scream from the battle.

The medical tent was the largest tent in the camp - by far. In it he already found many wounded laying on the ground, and the few medicine men wondering around. An old man, his white hair lay like a bush on top of the wrinkled face. Though once he got close, Mario noticed the vibrant eyes. They were full of wisdom and youth, much like that of Michael's.

"Ahh, Commander, you are hurt?" He asked, while Mario pulled his hand away from the slash.

"Hmm, I see. Come, lay down over here." He led them to an empty space in the corner of the tent. Mario obeyed the man and laid down.

"Now, take off your armor." Mario complied, revealing his short white shirt, small enough for his wound to be fully exposed. The doctor had a quick glance at it and then yelled to a lady wondering the tent, "I need Plankan Herb now!" She immediately came too him with a small green leaf that had a bright brown lining all the way around. He rolled the leaf to the smallest it could get, then dipped it in a red sauce that lay at the side of the bed-roll.

"This may hurt a bit," he warned as the herb was stuffed into the wound. Mario lay back, sweat beads covering his face and his eyes starring at the top of the tent.

Riding up to the home, Mario got off his horse and began to walk towards the door. He appeared inside the living room, in which Michael was fixing a fire in the fireplace. His head swung around, a smile stretch from ear to ear. His blue eyes twinkled in their white clouds. He immediately jumped up and leaped to his father's arms. His small body pressed against Mario's brought the feeling of safety to Michael, and the return to normalcy for Mario. Still hugging his son, Mario turned to the opening that lead to Isabella's bedroom. Out came the most beautiful thing in Spain. Michael obviously got his eyes from his mother, as her bright blue eyes stood out from the mocha skin. Her warm smile brought a nothing but another smile to Mario, and they stood there starring at each other while Michael was laughing with so much happiness.

Mario awoke to see the white-haired man bent over him, his hands somewhere on his shoulders, and a faint pain coming from the slash wound. Again, his sight turned black.

Awaking for the second time, Mario was alone in a tent. After looking around, he noticed it was his. There was a small shrine to Lemen, the war god in the corner with a table at another side that had maps and books piled to the breaking point. His weapons and armor chest lay to the right of his bed roll. He went to raise himself with his arms to get up, but was immediately on the ground again. The pain in his shoulder was immense, and he felt nothing but anger towards the damned medicine man.

After being alone for a couple more hours, his hate slowly declined to better reasoning. He knew the doctor had saved his shoulder, and he should be in debt to his skills. Just then, LeParte and Simone walked in.

"Ahh, sir, your awake. How goes your shoulder?" Simone asked.

"It's a little sore, but it will pass. We won the battle then?" Mario asked anxiously.

"Of course, commander. 1st Company won with little casualties, only a dozen or so swordsmen and archers, thanks to your brilliant tactics. Three French companies, totaling 6,000 men, lie in the jungle, sir. This may be the turning point for the war with France." He explained, and Mario just let out a sigh of relief. He thought for sure this was the battle in which it was his turn to loose, the odds were so much against him.

"Gather our men, we will head towards Elephantine for a rest and further orders." Mario ordered, and the two lieutenants left the tent. Mario began packing.

----------------------

Keeping tack of 2,000 men while walking through the jungle was not an easy thing. Mario was constantly riding back and forth from the front to the back of the line to count his men. The men seemed to be having fun, which annoyed Mario at first, but soon he joined in. They were singing the original Spanish war song,

"Onto the hills of Portugal, or to the plains of Central, or to the grasslands of Madrid. Spain's army will deee-fend, Spain's army will deee-fend! Onto the gold of Celtia, or the Jungles of Eeee-gypt, or to the peaks of Germany, Spain's army will aaaa-tack, Spain's army will aaaa-tack. For the King and his family!"
Old February 10, 2003, 03:27   #18
Prince Jason
Warlord

On and on, they would sing this song as they marched south. The Egyptian roads were not at all as confusing as the intertwining of the roads of Spain. There was simply one trail to one city, and one to another. If you knew what direction to go, there were generally only one trail to take. The trails were like huge snakes, swirling around in the dense jungle. A beacon of light within the crowded trees.

After singing the song the fortieth time, the front line soldiers took a large step that sent them face first into grainy hot sand. Mario soon trotted up to the men, and was immediately embraced in heat and light that stung both his eyes and his skin. It was instantly desert, and looking down the line he could see the direct change from jungle to desert. It was mind boggling how one could be struggling for breath, soaked in dew and moist, crowded between trees and vine, and then suddenly take one step and be in a totally opposite environment.

However, it wasn't a normal desert yet. Sure it was flat and hot, but for as long as the eye could see, there were small grooves in the desert ground. They were all parallel - obviously man-made. Through each small groove a little water trickled down On the mounds, one could barely see a small yellow stem protrude from the ground.

"Incense!" Yelled one of the soldiers. They then broke line and began a mad rush for the valuable luxury.

"1st Company, in rank!" Mario yelled over the excited voices. Instantaneously the soldier fell into line. Mario soon spotted the trail going through the plantations. The Company began again to march in line, and the songs began to fill the empty air again. While they were singing, Mario observed some dark-skinned Egyptians out in the fields, picking some large incense sticks. It brought Mario to remembering that more the 3 quarters of all this incense will most likely be shipped to trade.

The trade between Spain and Egypt is ancient, he thought. The Egyptians had always had the certain luxuries the Spanish citizens craved for. Spices were abundant in the Egyptian jungles, ivory in the Theban plains, and silks in the south. While Spain lacked most luxuries, out of the few it possessed it had furs in which the Egyptians didn't. Also, Spain was a large land with many gold mines that easily paid for heavy importing from Egypt. More then half of the Egyptian luxuries produced were sent to Spain in return for gold and furs. It was an age-old trade that dated back to the founding of Thebes and Madrid, and the first road. One could see, thought Mario, why the war with the Celts was so important – they controlled this vital trade route. However, that was over, the Celts forever paralyzed by the joint armies of Egypt and Spain. Now it was Spanish turn for helping the Egyptians after being brutally attacked by their northern French neighbors.

Snapping back to the desert air, he caught a glimpse of a few shadows in the horizon. Bringing his hands up to shade his eyes from the hot sun, he was sure it was the beautiful desert city of Elephantine. Another hour of walking brought them within the city gates.

The gates were quickly swung open after the guards were sure 1st Company was friendly. Mario had visited Elephantine before, but did not remember it this way. It was not at all like Madrid or Murcia, no, it was more fascinating. Instead of market stands, the merchants were housed in small mud-brick huts that were smaller then homes, but not too small. The shops lined the streets, as Egyptian shoppers kept to the sides and horses/carriages were able to pass in the center. The rest of 1st Company was just a surprised as Mario was, most of them stopped breathing and were looking on with awe and jaws dropped.

If Mario could remember, the barracks of the city was in the north east part of the city. Heading through the center, the Spanish foreigners made their way through the streets. The citizens watched, some with happy faces, and some with squinted eyes. Either way, the Spanish made their way to the barracks were a small wooden fence encircled it with a guard at the opening, much like at Madrid. Mario spoke with the guard, and to his surprise and luck the army stationed here had been summoned to the north, and so the barracks were open for the 1st Company to rest in.

It was weeks before Mario began to scratch out plans for the rest of the war. He had gotten no word of the ongoing war, and so he finally decided he would just go to the war and find a friendly company to group with. It was to his surprise that night, the Elephantine company came back into town. Mario learned news of how great his victory over the French that one battle was. It happened to be the only thing that lay in the way between Heliopolis and the rest of the Egyptian army. After Heliopolis was liberated, Spanish and Egyptian forces marched onto Lions and Orleans. Soon after, Bordeaux was captured which left Paris undefended. A joint strike between Spanish and Egyptian soldiers brought down the city, and soon came the peace treaty. The war had ended, winning the Egyptian much land.

That very day, Mario got word of his de-commission, and while the 1st Company would remain in Egypt for peace-keeping, Mario was able to return home if he so wanted too.

Mario returned to Murcia to grab his things. From his new fortune gained from the war, he was able to purchase a caravan where him and Relámpago followed to the Portugal city of Santiago. It was a peaceful, cool city along the Great Ocean coast. Striving off the Iron mines, the village was small where Mario purchased a mountain cottage. Him and Relámpago grew old together, Mario never remarrying or even dating. He soon joined his family in the afterlife at age 78.

There, that about does it. The last installments were at night, lol, and 6 page on word. I was tired by the end, and so I couldn’t really edit well. I did my best, lol.

Hope you have fun reading it, comments are appreciated so I can know if I did this good to right my next one.

Jason
Old February 10, 2003, 05:27   #19
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

It was an excellent tale indeed and you must write more for us, you have a talent for doing so.

Im off to nominate this for the next contest.
Old February 10, 2003, 13:09   #20
vovan
Emperor

Very nice. I second Chris' hopes that you write more, for I know for sure that every consecutive story by an author is usually better than the previous one. And since this here is one excellent piece of writing, I am sure the next one would be even better. I, for one, sure had fun reading it, and am looking for more from you eventually.
Spore page