Old February 4, 2003, 16:17   #61
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
I, and I'm sure many others, have said their peace about Civ3 and no longer come to the Civ3 forums.

I just happened to be passing by today, for example.
i'm the same way, but i saw that horsie was the last one to post in the forum and figured that a thread like this would be
Old February 4, 2003, 16:32   #62
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
wow, this thread is getting big. i'm not used to mine being so popular i guess provocation works

as i expected, most people see it similar as i do: the game is fairly stable and most rant-reasons have been eliminated.

horsie, anun, h tower, etc.,
does that mean you don't play civ(3) anymore at all? or are you just not visiting these forums so often?

panag,
why a chat? i can't remember any features which were requested only in the chat (and not over the community boards) and which got implemented.

i wish, firaxis would have a kind of public "wishlist", where we could post our requests and they could answer with "great idea", "probably not", "no can do", and so on. the most frustrating part is, that we don't know, if they serious ly consider our requests or just discard them.
maybe coracling works
Old February 4, 2003, 18:53   #63
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
I don't see what the problem really is, anyway.
Old February 4, 2003, 19:40   #64
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

does that mean you don't play civ(3) anymore at all? or are you just not visiting these forums so often?
I'm visiting these forums regularly to find out if multiplayer is fixed yet. If its fixed, and I mean reliable experienced players say so - not the Firaxis fanboy cheer squad, I'll buy the game.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 4, 2003, 21:22   #65
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i haven't played since january 2002
Old February 4, 2003, 23:12   #66
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

I'm visiting these forums regularly to find out if multiplayer is fixed yet. If its fixed, and I mean reliable experienced players say so - not the Firaxis fanboy cheer squad, I'll buy the game.
But, knowing what your definition of "reliable, experienced players" is, you will never play. Your "reliable, experienced players" don't play it either.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old February 5, 2003, 00:11   #67
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:34
Quote:

I do not visit this particular forum regularly, nor do I play Civ3 at all anymore.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:45   #68
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
wow, this thread is getting big. i'm not used to mine being so popular i guess provocation works

as i expected, most people see it similar as i do: the game is fairly stable and most rant-reasons have been eliminated.

panag,
why a chat? i can't remember any features which were requested only in the chat (and not over the community boards) and which got implemented.

i wish, firaxis would have a kind of public "wishlist", where we could post our requests and they could answer with "great idea", "probably not", "no can do", and so on. the most frustrating part is, that we don't know, if they serious ly consider our requests or just discard them.
maybe coracling works
hi ,

several new ideas and fixes where made during a chat , its also the best way to find out what the future holds , .....

the best example , panag , Gramphos , Mike , Soren and a couple others for hours in a chatroom , result , ..... Gramphos made his great tool , ......

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; February 5, 2003 at 06:48.
Old February 5, 2003, 06:24   #69
Centauri18
Prince

I just never felt the need to criticize. I mean, by the time I got Civ3 they had all those new patches and such out. Same thing once I got PTW.
Old February 5, 2003, 06:25   #70
Centauri18
Prince

And we should at least give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I mean, nobody's perfect. Mostly these guys leave bugs in the program because they probably have a launch date to meet. And just after they finish one patch and play the game, they see problems theiy either forgot about or didn't think of before. Give them a break. They're probably doing their best over there at Firaxis.
Old February 5, 2003, 06:53   #71
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri18
And we should at least give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I mean, nobody's perfect. Mostly these guys leave bugs in the program because they probably have a launch date to meet. And just after they finish one patch and play the game, they see problems theiy either forgot about or didn't think of before. Give them a break. They're probably doing their best over there at Firaxis.
hi ,

there is no such thing as the perfect software , software needs to be constantly updated , ......

when new problems arise they should be looked at , and a solution should be found , .....

they did a great job at Firaxis , okay most of us want more due to the fact that CIV III is addictive and due to the fact that we shall never be satisfied , and that is a good thing , because if you are satisfied that means you dont want anything new anymore , ...

CIV III gives an endless amount of options , they tend to please almost everyone , .......

not the small 0.0000001 percent off course , that's the number of people you can never please , ....

have a nice day
Old February 5, 2003, 18:41   #72
OmniMower
Settler

Local Time: 15:34
And how about this:

"you will NEVER be able to trigger events or such in the game" ...?
Old February 5, 2003, 18:53   #73
player1
Emperor

Never is harsh word.

Since it is in the Firaxis wish-list, there is probably a possibility of getting it in some future XP (if there is any).
Old February 5, 2003, 19:00   #74
OmniMower
Settler

Well, they said it themselfes: NEVER
Old February 5, 2003, 19:12   #75
player1
Emperor

Scripting language != Event editor

Scripting language == Never
Old February 5, 2003, 20:15   #76
WarpStorm
King

Mike Beer doesan't like scripting languages, this is true. He told me that there are other ways to provide scripting than languages.
Old February 5, 2003, 20:26   #77
player1
Emperor

Like simple event editor.
(not event language)
Old February 7, 2003, 11:21   #78
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I only have a stake in criticizing something that can be fixed. Civ3, I've come to believe, is beyond fixing. So there's no need to make any more fuss about it. Better luck next time, Firaxis?

--Yin

P.S. I hate to admit this in public, but I actually hold out some hope for the Gold Edition. My guess is Firaxis is pretty embarrased by releasing such a shoddy game and they might be looking to prove they didn't completely implode once Brian left...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Last edited by yin26; February 7, 2003 at 14:09.
Old February 7, 2003, 12:51   #79
redhat
Settler

Down with the Firaxist???

No game is perfect.....it's just how bad are they...
If they write a perfect game today, what can they improve for the future ones?

It's just like windows. If windows stop crashing on you, will you be waiting for the next edition hoping that it won't crash? or at least won't crash that many times an hour?
Old February 7, 2003, 15:01   #80
Unconquered
Warlord

Local Time: 09:34
Where is coracle when you need him
Old February 9, 2003, 10:31   #81
Mikel
Warlord

Local Time: 16:34
I believe there is much less criticism because it did not serve any purpose to those who have now left. Many of you in this forum have raised issues and have seen a response from Firaxis, so the forum serves your purpose. The others who were here did not join Apolyton to criticise Civ III, but because they were huge fans of the Civ series. They raised critcism because they felt the series had more potential than was realised by this game, but that was not addressed and so there was no purpose in their time spent here.

For me PtW is largely pointless. I do not think we need new graphics in an expansion when members of the online community can put together a fantastic collection themselves. I don't want more Civs, I just don't see the point. So all it provided to me was multiplayer which i have not yet been able to use (I didn't see much benefit to the SP game). This highlighted that Civ III was developed and is being supported for a community that does not share my views on how the game should feel. If that community is the majority then Firaxis and Infograms are making a sensible choice by satisfying as many of their customers as possible. Continuous complaints will change nothing.

In it's current form Civ III is a stable and enjoyable game. I have been looking around the boards today to see if anyone has put together a good scenario, or a map that would force more strategic choices into the game. I thought this would capture my interest in the game again. I haven't found anything so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I have fun with the game, but it still feels like it could have been better.
Troll "Thats the thing with randomness, you can never be sure."
Old February 9, 2003, 12:53   #82
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikel
(I didn't see much benefit to the SP game).
Hmmm?

I'm, uh, pretty good at Civ3... I ruled on emperor pre-PTW, and since then have had a seriously challenging AI civ opponent in almost every game.

Not that there aren't things I would still criticize, but I / we spent a lot of time asking Firaxis *specifically* for stronger AI behavior, and we got it.

And that's on top of fixing what a lot of flamers were going on about... CFing, etc.

(cough cough... but where's EVENT SCRIPTING... cough cough)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 9, 2003, 15:09   #83
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikel
In it's current form Civ III is a stable and enjoyable game. I have been looking around the boards today to see if anyone has put together a good scenario, or a map that would force more strategic choices into the game. I thought this would capture my interest in the game again. I haven't found anything so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Shameless plug: Tried this ?
It's not really a scenario, nor a map, but can be really much interesting.
Especialy if your average games end before modern era.
(gives you some new things to play)
Old February 9, 2003, 16:34   #84
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I agree with Mikel about the expansion, to a point. Theseus is right in saying that the game has been made harder, but I consider that patch material. Thus we're left with new playable civs and (weak) MP. This is not the kind of thing I like paying 40-50CAN for. Come to think of it, very few expansions in computer games are really worth the additional money. PTW was supposed to change this by offering a whole new Civ3 experience: MP play.

Still, I'm glad I own the product now, just so that I can keep up with the community here (PTW DG, AU, Strat PBEMs). If only MP were better I would not be ranting at all.

Dominae
Old February 9, 2003, 17:38   #85
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
If only MP were better I would not be ranting at all.
The fat lady ain't singin' yet.
Old February 9, 2003, 17:43   #86
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
The fat lady ain't singin' yet.
PTW comes with a fat lady!? Where's mine?

Dominae
Old February 9, 2003, 17:48   #87
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

She's tuning up for her performance. It should be a good one.
Old February 9, 2003, 19:13   #88
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
P.S. I hate to admit this in public, but I actually hold out some hope for the Gold Edition. My guess is Firaxis is pretty embarrased by releasing such a shoddy game and they might be looking to prove they didn't completely implode once Brian left...
Pfft... and to think I looked up to you.
Old February 11, 2003, 02:15   #89
H Tower

Quote:
are you sure it isn't Sid?
Old February 12, 2003, 18:45   #90
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
didn't she choke to death when she accidentally inhaled the civ3 LE tin during the warm-up?
CW: Sometimes you're even bigger weirdo than kass... - Jeki, Wiser Finn.