Old February 3, 2003, 20:45   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Someone really ought to tell ABC News about that whole shuttle thing
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030201_477.html

Quote:
Columbia Streaks Toward Florida Landing
Shuttle Columbia Streaks Toward Florida Touchdown to End Successful 16-Day Science Mission

The Associated Press

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. Feb. 1 —
With security tighter than usual, space shuttle Columbia streaked toward a Florida touchdown Saturday to end a successful 16-day scientific research mission that included the first Israeli astronaut.

The early morning fog burned off as the sun rose, and Mission Control gave the seven astronauts the go-ahead to come home on time. "I guess you've been wondering, but you are 'go' for the deorbit burn," Mission Control radioed at practically the last minute.

Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel's air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security, not only for Columbia's Jan. 16 launch, but also for its landing. Space agency officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.

"We've taken all reasonable measures, and all of our landings so far since 9-11 have gone perfectly," said Lt. Col. Michael Rein, an Air Force spokesman.

Columbia's crew Ramon and six Americans completed all of their 80-plus experiments in orbit. They studied ant, bee and spider behavior in weightlessness as well as changes in flames and flower scents, and took measurements of atmospheric dust with a pair of Israeli cameras.

The 13 lab rats on board part of a brain and heart study had to face the guillotine following the flight so researchers could see up-close the effects of so much time in weightlessness. The insects and other animals had a brighter, longer future: the student experimenters were going to get them back and many of the youngsters planned to keep them, almost like pets.

All of the scientific objectives were accomplished during the round-the-clock laboratory mission, and some of the work may be continued aboard the international space station, researchers said. The only problem of note was a pair of malfunctioning dehumidifiers, which temporarily raised temperatures inside the laboratory to the low 80s, 10 degrees higher than desired.

Some of Columbia's crew members didn't want their time in space to end.

"Do we really have to come back?" astronaut David Brown jokingly asked Mission Control before the ride home.

NASA's next shuttle flight, a space station construction mission, is scheduled for March. The next time Columbia flies will be in November, when it carries into orbit educator-astronaut Barbara Morgan, who was the backup for Challenger crew member Christa McAuliffe in 1986.
Oh my.
Old February 3, 2003, 20:47   #2
Tuberski

Local Time: 10:40
That Barbara Morgan seems to be one lucky lady.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old February 3, 2003, 22:07   #3
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Hilarious.

Then again, didn't Nixon have a speech prewritten in case the Eagle couldn't lift off?
Old February 3, 2003, 22:15   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You would think someone would have noticed when they were publishing it...
Old February 3, 2003, 22:17   #5
Thrawn05
King

I always knew Network News was dead, but this is like shooting a Zombie in the head.
Old February 3, 2003, 22:17   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It was probably posted early in the morning on the 1st...
Old February 4, 2003, 01:26   #7
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

this and the cnn thing all in the space of a couple days, is there anyone with reliablle news left?
Old February 4, 2003, 01:55   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I don't understand what the big deal is. The thing is dated February 1st, and most likely it was posted early in the morning, since it's from the AP wire which was probably sent out that night for newspapers..
Old February 4, 2003, 02:02   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

They were writing in the past tense about an event that had yet to happen. Reporting on what you think will happen is as reliable as it sounds.
Old February 4, 2003, 02:05   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I don't see them mentioning anything about landing, just saying they're streaking towards a landing.
Old February 4, 2003, 02:11   #11
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Well, that is true, I suppose. They did streak towards a landing, albeit in tiny flaming pieces.
Old February 4, 2003, 02:35   #12
Skanky Burns

Quote:
The insects and other animals had a brighter, longer future
This part is also blantently false!

Old February 4, 2003, 03:58   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
this is so sad

And all the dead animals .

who doesn't love rats?
Old February 4, 2003, 04:30   #14
patrickjb53
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:40
I believe this was before shuttle disaster.

"Columbia Streaks Toward Florida Landing
Shuttle Columbia Streaks Toward Florida Touchdown to End Successful 16-Day Science Mission"
Old February 4, 2003, 04:33   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
well that part seems obvious

It was just a lazy reporter writing a story the night before the landing so he didn't have to work on the weekend . Lazy ****.
Old February 4, 2003, 04:34   #16
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
It was just a lazy reporter writing a story the night before the landing so he didn't have to work on the weekend . Lazy ****.
It's a Reuters story, probably intended for the morning papers, which is why it was posted early in the morning by ABC News.
Old February 4, 2003, 07:38   #17
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 17:40
"The insects and other animals had a brighter, longer future: "

Yeah, right! The poor creeps burned in a very bright flame, just like the rest.
Old February 4, 2003, 07:54   #18
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:40

same thing happened to www.ynet.co.il. about 5 minutes before the loss of contact with columbia, they've placed "The shuttle Columbia has successfully landed, Ilan Ramon and the other astronauts are back on earth".

They of course changed it, but still, COME ON!