Old February 3, 2003, 22:28   #1
Unconquered
Warlord

Local Time: 09:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Elite Bombers... Why?
Why have an Elite Bomber? Does it increase the chance of a successful bombardment? Since it does not have any defense points its status as elite will be irrelevent when it is intercepted. I did some testing and it did not seem to make a difference in bombardment success rates, but I only did 15 bombing runs. Maybe this is not enough runs to see any difference. Does anyone have any ideas? I guess this question could apply to any air unit with a defense of zero...
Old February 3, 2003, 22:44   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 10:40
It doesn't make a difference when bombing. It does matter when it is intercepted though. I've had my bombers kill and injure the intercepting fighters and jets. It has a defense of 2 for use in air-to-air combat.
Old February 4, 2003, 01:30   #3
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

An elite bomber intercepted by a regular fighter would have a 5:6 (45%) chance of winning. Not bad odds at all.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 4, 2003, 01:33   #4
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 11:40
Also if you have modded the bomber to have lethal bombard then you can actually generate a leader by killing a ground unit. (it is quite rare though)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old February 4, 2003, 05:09   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:40
You would have to have modded the bomber to make it possible for it to become elite, wouldn't you?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 4, 2003, 06:33   #6
TacticalGrace
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
You would have to have modded the bomber to make it possible for it to become elite, wouldn't you?

-Jam
No I think you can get a promotion to elite by destroying an intercepting fighter which can happen unmodded.

Generating a leader is only possible when a ground unit is destroyed though.
Old February 4, 2003, 06:43   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Of course ! *slaps forehead*

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 4, 2003, 08:28   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
Re: Elite Bombers... Why?
Quote:
Originally posted by Unconquered
Why have an Elite Bomber? Does it increase the chance of a successful bombardment? Since it does not have any defense points its status as elite will be irrelevent when it is intercepted. I did some testing and it did not seem to make a difference in bombardment success rates, but I only did 15 bombing runs. Maybe this is not enough runs to see any difference. Does anyone have any ideas? I guess this question could apply to any air unit with a defense of zero...
hi ,

elite bombers have a bit less chance to be shot down because of an extra hitpoint , .....

want to know everything there is about them , use the editor and place some elite , veteran , regular , etc , ..... units on it , the go to war , you shall see the difference , ....

someone made ones calculations on it , they are somewhere on apolyton , .....

have a nice day
Old February 4, 2003, 13:09   #9
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Regular bomber go Elite if they shoot down their interceptor. Stealth fighters and bombers don't because they have no attack or defense values. I mod it to give them 2 defense.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 4, 2003, 13:17   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Regular bomber go Elite if they shoot down their interceptor. Stealth fighters and bombers don't because they have no attack or defense values. I mod it to give them 2 defense.
hi ,

you can start with stealth bombers and fighters that are elite with a mod or scenario , ....

both have no defense in the real world neither , ....

have a nice day
Old February 4, 2003, 19:14   #11
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:40
Bombers ought to be able to defend themselves, right.
Old February 4, 2003, 19:19   #12
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Also if you have modded the bomber to have lethal bombard then you can actually generate a leader by killing a ground unit. (it is quite rare though)
Had that happen once! Surprised the hell out of me, too! Happiness didn't last too long as this was within enemy territory and my leader was killed before he could get to safety.
Old February 4, 2003, 19:21   #13
Centauri18
Prince

You got a leader from an air unit? Wow, probably the only way the Americans in the game could ever get a military golden age, huh?
Old February 5, 2003, 04:06   #14
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:40
OK, the F-15 is a two seater. So the other guy gets a "spark", and becomes a great leader, opens the canopy and chutes out of the craft? Military genious doesn't equal genious otherwise, eh?

As for Stealths, they rely mostly on "you haven't seen me, right", but also have counter measures, chaf etc.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:16   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri18
Bombers ought to be able to defend themselves, right.
hi ,

agreed , but the only thing that shoots back on a stealth bomber or fighter is the personal side-arm of the pilot(s) , ....... (!)

its not needed to have standoff weapons on them because they are afterall stealth , ......

not to mention the level the fly at with great speed's , .....

have a nice stealth day
Old February 5, 2003, 06:26   #16
Centauri18
Prince

Stealth units would have the option of getting away or hiding in the clouds or something.
Old February 5, 2003, 17:35   #17
solodar
Settler

Local Time: 10:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Amesjustin

Had that happen once! Surprised the hell out of me, too! Happiness didn't last too long as this was within enemy territory and my leader was killed before he could get to safety.
So, the leader is generated in the square you're bombing, rather than the city the bomber is based in? Odd...

What if there are still enemy troops at the bombsite? You kill one of a stack, a leader is generated, and it appears ... where? In an adjacent hex, or does it just not work?

Might have to go play around with this.

solodar
Old February 5, 2003, 20:40   #18
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by solodar

So, the leader is generated in the square you're bombing, rather than the city the bomber is based in? Odd...

What if there are still enemy troops at the bombsite? You kill one of a stack, a leader is generated, and it appears ... where? In an adjacent hex, or does it just not work?

Might have to go play around with this.

solodar
To be honest I don't remember all the details - one of those marathon games that went until 4ish AM. I do remember that I had relocated the modded bomber into a newly acquired (via force) city within the enemy empire.

I am pretty sure the leader appeared in the square NEXT to where the enemy was - the square the bomber had just passed through before bombing in fact. I remember my surprise at getting a leader more than anything. sorta woke me up. But by the next turn, the leader was killed, the city recaptured, my beautiful bomber destroyed.

I will try to recreate this by building a massive airforce and bombing all my neighbors back to the stone age - I will let you know if I get it again and where he shows up.