Old February 4, 2003, 12:10   #1
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Local Time: 09:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Trade Embargoes
Hi,

I'm quite new to CivIII, and I think is a lot better than CivII, but much longer. Now I'm ending my second scenario and have this problem, after eons of happy commercial peace, (I'm playing France), Ceasar attacked me for no reason, after that Cleopatra joined him, the rest of the world joined me. After punishment, (I took five cities from each), now I'm at peace but I've trade embargoes against them and want to finish them, specially 'cause I need money coming from Rome to develope my newly acquired cities.

How can I end a Trade Embargo?
Old February 4, 2003, 19:19   #2
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
I don't know how you end a trade embargo. Usually you have to completely wipe out the civ in question. But maybe that's just me.
Old February 4, 2003, 20:20   #3
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 12:42
Go for the negotiation table, while talking about business with the other (so hated) civ-leader. At the bottom, you can read "New" and "Active". I think you'll have to do this with the nations that you got into the embargo. Anyway...

Click on the "Active" and you'll see your present negotiations with him/her/future beaten corpse. IF there's a number next to the "Trade Embargo Against (put the name of the poor civ the you chose)", then it is still active, and breaking it can and will damage your reputation.

But, if there is no number after it, then you can just click on it and say "bye bye Trade Embargo", and reassume your rightful position as world trade leader and chief commander of all that is good and noble.
Old February 4, 2003, 20:50   #4
Centauri18
Prince

"him/her/future beaten corpse" That is hilarious.
Old February 4, 2003, 21:33   #5
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Thanks Pedrojedi, I'll do that later on

also I agree with Centauri18 It´s hilarius, Caesar will be a beaten corpse
Old February 4, 2003, 22:59   #6
Bangedup
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:42
There are two other ways to renegotiate or end embargos. The first way is to go to options which is the triangular icon in the upper left and select preferences. In preferences you will find "always renegotiate deals." Click on the box next to it and any deal you make will pop up for renegotiation at the end of the 20 turn period.
The other way to end a trade embargo is declare war on the civ you made the deal with. This will end any and all agreements with them. Hope this helped.
Old February 5, 2003, 00:03   #7
Centauri18
Prince

Caesar is a beaten corpse, I mean, look what his best friend did to him in the real world...
Old February 5, 2003, 04:56   #8
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Well thanks, but by now, the question is academical, I don't know but I was behaving like a nice bussinesmen, but no the AI decided that it was time for WW, so by now Caesar is history, and I'm after Gandhi and Elizabeth.
I wanted to win this through the UN but the AI wants me to Dominate.
Old February 5, 2003, 06:27   #9
Centauri18
Prince

Never go with the UN if you're a warmonger. They get in the way.
(Good Grief, I sounded like George W for a minute. )
Old February 5, 2003, 13:36   #10
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
Good Grief, I sounded like George W for a minute.
Heh, NO, NO! Go into the light! Follow the light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, I always end up building the UN, if the diplomatic victory is allowed. If not, usually I lose, because I don't negotiate very well as I can see through what is said here in these threads. U guys always get lots of money. I usually have to sweat a lot to get some change and even if I'm supreme leader of the world, I don't usually get more than 100 gp/turn (there where exceptions), and my swiss bank account never went over 7-8000... Hardly enough for 2 espionage missions "Rob and laugh at the (pathetic) enemy plans".
Old February 5, 2003, 13:37   #11
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
Good Grief, I sounded like George W for a minute.
Heh, NO, NO! Go into the light! Follow the light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, I always end up building the UN, if the diplomatic victory is allowed. If not, usually I lose, because I don't negotiate very well as I can see through what is said here in these threads. U guys always get lots of money. I usually have to sweat a lot to get some change and even if I'm supreme leader of the world, I don't usually get more than 100 gp/turn (there where exceptions), and my swiss bank account never went over 7-8000... Hardly enough for 2 espionage missions "Rob and laugh at the (pathetic) enemy plans".
Old February 7, 2003, 06:03   #12
Bangedup
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:42
If you have trouble getting money you should switch governments to republic or Democracy. Also try turning off research funding and just buy techs from the other civs. If your reputation is good enough you can buy the techs on a per turn payments basis. This makes them think twice about declaring war or signing an alliance against you.
Old February 7, 2003, 08:45   #13
Alex
Emperor

Yes, getting money in the game is fairly easy: turn off your research funding, build lots of marketplaces (and, if possible, Wall Street) and you'll be filthy rich in no time.
Old February 10, 2003, 23:13   #14
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Hi there, I'm back after a few days playing, as I told earlier the bloddy AI doesn't want me to win through diplomatic, they just like war, so I decided to crush them, wich by the way was fairly easy at that point of the game, I was getting up to 400 per turn so you can imagine what you can do with that, and those stupid lossers just kept declaring war.
Any way now I've decided to go on warlord and try some diferent civs, this brought the game again with some dificulty.
A questión, When you choose a higher difficulty level the AI does some cheating, doesn't it?
Old February 11, 2003, 08:19   #15
pedrojedi
Prince

Actually, as far as I know (AFAIK), he does not "cheats", but changes pre-programmed patterns of distribution of tech values when trading with you or between AIs. He also tends to become more agressive, and usually does a lot of contact between the AI civs.

That's what I know, anyway. Never tried over regent yet, so I'm not an expert of the subject either. What I know is what is said here.
Old February 11, 2003, 09:40   #16
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:42
The advantages are as follows:

Chieftain/Warlord: AI's production and research costs more than the human's.
Regent: Level playing field.
Monarch/Emporer/Diety: AI's production and research cost less than the human's.

The AI will also be more generous with the other AIs when making deals on higher levels compared to what they would be willing to except from the human.

So on Chieftain and Warlord, the game is actually tilted in your favor (thus "cheating" for you, if that's the way you want to characterize it).
Old February 11, 2003, 21:20   #17
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Thanks,
What have happened so far is that in warlord I can´t trade that much and I guess I'll have to change my patterns of early game 'cause other civ's are much more agressive so I think I'll be building more military and forget a bit about cultural improvements.
Old February 11, 2003, 21:52   #18
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
I think I'll be building more military and forget a bit about cultural improvements.
I've been trying this, but, at least for me, I always end up the weakest nation of the ancient ages. Builder to the core.

As a fan of the Egiptians, I begin lacking two of the most important techs for urly rushing, Bronze Working and Warrior Code. Having to research them takes valuable time that I could spend trashing down civs, and usually I don't get lucky in trading and hut-scavenging.

When you get the practice, tell me some clues.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:57   #19
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Thanks Pedrojedi,

I've got tired of those egypcians, so quitted and started a new scenario with 8 civs and I'm the Aztecs, (mother culture you see), and this time I'm doing much better, I was going really bad being 7th but then I've got a golden Age and now I'm rated 4th, but again I'm becoming weak, so I'm focusing on getting more military units so I think that in 20 or 30 more turns, rigth now I'm about to end the middle ages, I'll be beating away the iroquies, my weakest neghborgh.

What I've done so far that has worked is that I'm not spending to much on science, 20% only but I'm hunting whose get the newest tech and buy it no matter the cost, then right away in the same turn I resell to every body else and end up with a little profit which I'm using to rush those basic buildings in my farthest colonies, temples, barracks and so while my more productive cities are bulding military or wonders.

So I'll call again tomorrow and tell you how it worked.

One last question is there a way of getting a second golden age?
Old February 15, 2003, 01:11   #20
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
One last question is there a way of getting a second golden age?
No.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old February 16, 2003, 21:08   #21
pedrojedi
Prince

The right answer would be "DAMN, no!". I always wanted a 2nd, 3rd, 4th... Golden Age.
Old February 19, 2003, 15:10   #22
Gandalfgris
Spanish Civers
Settler

Hi there, as promised I'm back after a few days playing I think I'm getting in my way, after beating the iroquies down, the egypcians decided to go after Caesar, so Greeks and Americans joined an alliance, what I did was declare war to Rome, being closer to it´s Capital I was able to get the best cities, so now Caesar is gone and I've the largest Civ, although still number 2. The plan did work, spending less in science but buying and reselling what others do gets me going, and as my reputation is still good they usually agree to payments by turn so I'm plenty rich and buying all those improvements that I need to get a city going, i. e. Temples, Cathedrals, courthoses, marketplaces and so, and what is happening now is that the roman cities captured by others ar now deflecting in my favor.

Now to be secure I've signed Mutual protección with everybody but the French and Germans, now I want to get Paris, Joan got there Sistine, Bach and Leonardo´s and I think is worth it.

Another thing, I spend whatever on upgrading military, is worth it.

I'll be back later
Old February 22, 2003, 21:59   #23
pedrojedi
Prince

If the city got just the Leonardo's, I think it's worth a "give it to me!" campaign.