Old February 4, 2003, 12:44   #1
Villain
Settler

Local Time: 15:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Temples and culture points
Ok.. can someone explain to me what is going on here?

I have a Temple in most of my cities (Oracle is built as well). In some of my cities, the Temple is producing 4 Culture Points. In others, it is only producing 2. What is the reason for this? It doesn't appear to be related to other improvements, as in some cities where the Temple is producing 4 points, it is the only improvement.

Also, in the description of The Oracle, it states that it doubles the effect of Temples, making them produce 2 Happy Faces instead of 1. In the Temple description, it states that it produces *content* faces, not *happy* faces.
Very nitpicky, but just wondered if that is in fact a small error.
Old February 4, 2003, 12:48   #2
Villain
Settler

Oh.. I just realized something.

After 1,000 years, the output of cultural improvements doubles. The Temples that are producing 4 points must have been around for 1,000+ yrs.

Hmm.. I think that's it. Good thing I posted, else this train of thought might not have taken this track.

Old February 4, 2003, 12:52   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:42
I'm glad to see you found the answer by yourself.
Old February 4, 2003, 20:09   #4
pedrojedi
Prince

Indeed, the cultural value of cultural buildings increases as time passes. Specialy true for GW, but smaller achievements who are also really old can also get this piece o' bonus.

Which brings an interesting thought. Shouldn't a really old barracks have some cultural value, or perhaps a different capability, because of its awesome tradition?
Old February 4, 2003, 20:51   #5
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
Yeah. I assign most buildings at least some cultural value. Eventually even walls have some cultural value - tourism and such.
Old February 4, 2003, 23:29   #6
pedrojedi
Prince

Some examples of these historical city improvements, Sorry to everybody if the names don't quite match:

- "Wall of Lamentations"
- NY JFK Airport
- Berlim's wall
- Rome's Aqueducts

A crazy thought: If you get a really old entertainer, it becomes a music legend like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Robert Plant, Elvis or The Beatles! It should render some extra culture points, and extra show tiles around the world (World Tour 1730 Classic Specials presents... THE MONKEYS!). Hmmm, this should go to the Civ4 thread...
Old February 5, 2003, 00:01   #7
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
Old February 5, 2003, 03:59   #8
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Villain
After 1,000 years, the output of cultural improvements doubles. The Temples that are producing 4 points must have been around for 1,000+ yrs.
I was not aware of this, is it in the rule book or Civopedia?
Old February 5, 2003, 07:12   #9
TacticalGrace
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi
Some examples of these historical city improvements, Sorry to everybody if the names don't quite match:

- "Wall of Lamentations"
- NY JFK Airport
- Berlim's wall
- Rome's Aqueducts
hmm.... I'm not convinced that JFK is visited by tourists for quite the same reason as the other 3.

(BTW I believe it's "the Wailing Wall" and "the Berlin wall")
Old February 5, 2003, 12:02   #10
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrumble

I was not aware of this, is it in the rule book or Civopedia?
Both, I think. But it surely is in the Civilopedia.
Old February 5, 2003, 13:27   #11
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
hmm.... I'm not convinced that JFK is visited by tourists for quite the same reason as the other 3.
Well, I heard some stories, but yeah, its primary funcition is of course air transport. But I saw something... Was it Seinfeld?
Old February 8, 2003, 03:13   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It's not 1000 years, but 50 turns, I believe.

This is also a near certain way to win the game via culture victory - build GWs, expecially the Oracle, REALLY early. Yeah the Oracle is crap and expires early, but if you build it early enough, the amount of culture it will be generating later on is STAGGERING. I had not thought of this before a friend of mine was playing, and he told me he had an early GA. I shook my head and went back to my game as the Americans (no early GA there!). Some hours later I checked again, and saw that, incredibly, his capital had +50-60 Culture per turn! He was headed for a culture victory cause he had used that GA to build at least 2 GWs in his capital - the GL and the Oracle, pumping out masses of culture, and then every 50 or so turns it would double AGAIN.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 8, 2003, 06:09   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:42
It's definately 1,000 years -- a definate encouragement to build early and often. Go into the culture advisor and find two cities with the same improvement, with one improvement just short of 1,000 years, and the other just after. Mark those cities and visit them in city view -- you will find that the one improment is now producing twice the culture of the newer one.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 8, 2003, 06:58   #14
Emma
Chieftain

rom's aqueducts are old, could produce culture, but the berlin wall is not old and doesn't exist anymore. why should that add culture to the city? but castles on the other hand....(fortresses) they should earn some culture points for the civ (maybe not for a city as they are outside of city boundries most times. when they reach 1000 years or so, maybe 1 extra culture point?
Old February 8, 2003, 08:34   #15
pedrojedi
Prince

Well, functionally Berlin Wall does not exist anymore, but you can easily find parts of it here and there, forever (?) preserved for further reference and memory revival.

Of course, it's not old and its cultural value lies in its significance. In Civ terms, however, that makes no sense, at least for a "normal" wall. So, that makes Berlin's Wall a bad example of an idea that I think can be quite sweet.

However, Berlin Wall could be a great idea for a minor wonder: it could lower the chances of conquered cities of a neighboring nations to flip sides, and give 1 content face in the city it is built.
Old February 8, 2003, 11:33   #16
Emma
Chieftain

one content face??? the people of berlin were appaled when the wall was built. they though: well communism is alright, and when i don't like it or it starts going wrong i can just nip over the border to west germany.
but after the wall was built (that was communism going wrong) they felt trapped (and were trapped) in a system they didn't want.
and it didn't help too much against culture flipping, did it? at first no one thought that east germany would suddenly become reunited. only after the revolution there (tearing down the wall, round tables ect.) did Kohl think: well maybe it is a bad idea, but right now it seems possible, and if i can reunite germany i will be reelected. if there had not been such a feeling of revolution in the air because of the fall of the wall as a symbol of oppression , then germany would probably not have been reunited (at that time). the wall did not help the government that built it much in the end, though of course you could say at first it helped against culture flipping, but the cost of it should be 1 or 2 unhappy faces extra in the city.

(but it is a stupid example, because in civ you can't have half a city and the enemy the other half)
Old February 8, 2003, 12:33   #17
pedrojedi
Prince

Sorry, I made the bad example. And even didn't care to explain it right.

I thought it being a good example of freedom and reunion of old lands and brotherhoods, in which case the destroyed Berlin Wall would be a nice touch. Not the actual cold war wall, but the later destroyed one.

It keeps getting more and more complicated, in which case just shows that the good idea isn't that great at all.

Maybe I should work on other examples of good future GW and MW, like Solomon's Palace, Cristo Redentor, Golden Gate Bridge or the Olympics.
Old February 8, 2003, 13:54   #18
Emma
Chieftain

hmmm...but that wonder has to have a function and be special... something like umm... yeah it is really difficult to think of wonders, big or small. because they can't really be just Landmarks (why would a city that's not even next to a river, for example, want the gate bridge for?), unless these had a function, or where incredible important when they were built (culturally as well as politically). but maybe if you limit the gate bridge to cities with rivers, but all it would to would be to increase your base gold production of the city slightly and maybe a tiny bit of culture. but compared to the cost that would not be enough.

maybe something like the Mir would be a good wonder, but of course then there is the problem that there already is something a bit like it which is space victory. you could make it another part required for the space ship, but that's not really anything that would be fun.

there are other wonders, like the Zeus Temple, but they would just be like the Oracle for example and nothing new.
hmm.. maybe i'll think of some wonders later...
Old February 8, 2003, 14:27   #19
Albert
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:42
I think the culture is one of the great achievments from firaxis in this game. It has never been tried out before, and is working almost perfectly.

And giving all old buildings points seems ok, but in civ3, nearly every city got a wall, barracks, so you wouldn`t be very surprised if you were a tourist in another city and you saw the wall. But since there so few walls left in the world it is gaining "cultural points" in the real world.

you find libraries, universities, cathedrals and so on as well, but they are different all over the world. containing different matereal and different religions.
this makes the structures special for each civ more than a wall or barracks would have done.

Not saying that the cultural system is perfect, but changing it needs a lot of discussion and thought, cause it`s working quite well in my opinion
Old February 8, 2003, 15:44   #20
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
Not saying that the cultural system is perfect, but changing it needs a lot of discussion and thought, cause it`s working quite well in my opinion
I'm not against it at all as well, and have the same opinions, Albert. The subject was raised when we commented that maybe a really old barracks should have some cultural worth, since it has a great history behind it. Think Sparta, Pearl Harbor, Pensacola or any other military city/facility which had some form of participation in famous wars, crisises or combats.

Quote:
hmmm...but that wonder has to have a function and be special... something like umm... yeah it is really difficult to think of wonders, big or small. because they can't really be just Landmarks (why would a city that's not even next to a river, for example, want the gate bridge for?), unless these had a function, or where incredible important when they were built (culturally as well as politically). but maybe if you limit the gate bridge to cities with rivers, but all it would to would be to increase your base gold production of the city slightly and maybe a tiny bit of culture. but compared to the cost that would not be enough.
That's why I said it could be a minor wonder, instead of a great one. It's important to think something new about these things, since giving, for example, a slight gold bonus, some culture and requiring a river to build it will make the Golden Gate Bridge look like the modern version of the Colossus. Even thinking that way, then we should use a similar figure, like the Statue of Liberty.

Quote:
maybe something like the Mir would be a good wonder, but of course then there is the problem that there already is something a bit like it which is space victory. you could make it another part required for the space ship, but that's not really anything that would be fun.
A fun thing would be a great wonder, such as The Spy Satellite, which would require several technologies to develop, or even be a new one. It's capability would be reveal a limited part of the map as if you were using the "Steal Enemy Plans" spy mission. It could be a small area, such as 5x5 squares or even smaller, and would be usable only once every turn.

When it comes to thinking about these things, it's all about new stuff. Old parts of spaceships we are all just too loaded with 'em. I personally hate the Spacerace Victory, and always played Bloodlust games.

Quote:
there are other wonders, like the Zeus Temple, but they would just be like the Oracle for example and nothing new.
Ah, thinking about the other forgotten old ones, huh? The Statue of Zeus, Temple of Artemis, Halicarnassus' Mausoleum...
Yeah, they are all just variations of themes. If I were having any ideas about things and protests that shook the world (like the Universal Suffrage), maybe the Bolchevic Revolution, the Bridge Tower, the Cristo Redentor (I insist, this one would be a good one), the Empire State Building or the Simon Bolivar Journey would be a nice start.
Old February 9, 2003, 03:16   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

A spy satellite should be simple enough:

A cheap 'aircraft' with recon (ONLY!) and some rediculous range -- or not so rediculous, if you want to call it 'geosynchonous'.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 9, 2003, 10:56   #22
The Mad Monk
Emperor

There's nothing wrong with having wonders that do the same thing. Right now I have a mod with six wonders that do essentially the same thing (based on The Colossus), with minor additions to spice it up a bit.
Old February 9, 2003, 11:12   #23
pedrojedi
Prince

Well, there's nothing "wrong" about anything in the game, I would say there's just disagreements. I personally think it's not nice adding wonders with the same bonuses, because it takes their "uniqueness" features out. But, if you like it, then you like it.

I always had problems with the Colossus. Never appreciated its bonus. The only value that I give to it is its property to be avoided by the AI, which leaves me with a potential "free wonder" that they just leave to me to build.
Old February 10, 2003, 01:18   #24
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Did you that that particular bonus...stacks?
Old February 10, 2003, 09:44   #25
pedrojedi
Prince

Yes, I realize it can have stackable effects and how amazing it can be to commerce and income. I still like more uniqueness than über-ultra-utility. As I said, when it comes to this point, it gets pretty personal and every idea can be considered "right", as long as the player like it.
Old February 10, 2003, 11:58   #26
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I'm glad to see you found the answer by yourself.
And within the same minute.
Old February 10, 2003, 12:55   #27
TriMiro
Warlord

About a small wonder, I do not know how to name th ewonder but I would like to have one that will allow my air planes to make bombardments only on units, no buildings no improvements. Presize strike is a good one and have its usefulness, but I would like a presize one on Units.
It could be made like some addon to the UN, lets say after someone builds UN, others could build peacekeeping resolutions and start bombarding other players units: "Trying to take down the evil dictator and free his people."
Old February 11, 2003, 01:30   #28
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I'm not sure (I'm at work, so I don't have access to the editor), but I believe you can make a building a prerequisite for building a certain unit. This would be in the unit's page, not the building's.
Old February 11, 2003, 01:31   #29
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi
Yes, I realize it can have stackable effects and how amazing it can be to commerce and income. I still like more uniqueness than über-ultra-utility. As I said, when it comes to this point, it gets pretty personal and every idea can be considered "right", as long as the player like it.
But of course.
Old February 11, 2003, 02:10   #30
aaglo
King

Local Time: 18:42
I had also this added culture idea on other old buildings - especially Coastal fortresses. It increases their worthiness.