View Poll Results: Did Powell shoot himself in the foot?
Yes 18 41.86%
No 23 53.49%
Bananas 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 6, 2003, 23:24   #91
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The modified vehicle was probably an icecream truck - most Iraqis are working 3 jobs.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 6, 2003, 23:34   #92
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
and the nerve gas? what was that supposed to mean, oh so wise decoder?
Old February 6, 2003, 23:36   #93
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You can call fertiliser nerve agent if you like. People will laugh at you, but its your right to look like a fool.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 6, 2003, 23:41   #94
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 11:49
Mary McGrory's COLUMN in the Washington Post this morning, mentioned by LOTM. McGrory is a widely read liberal columnist.
Quote:
I don't know how the United Nations felt about Colin Powell's "J'accuse" speech against Saddam Hussein. I can only say that he persuaded me, and I was as tough as France to convince. ....

Powell took his seat in the United Nations and put his shoulder to the wheel. He was to talk for almost an hour and a half. His voice was strong and unwavering. He made his case without histrionics of any kind, with no verbal embellishments. He aired his tapes of conversations between Iraqi army officers who might well be supposed to be concealing toxic materials or enterprises.

He talked of the mobile factories concealed in trains and trucks that move along roads and rails while manufacturing biological agents. I was struck by their ingenuity and the insistence on manufacturing agents that cause diseases such as gangrene, plague, cholera, camelpox and hemorrhagic fever....

The cumulative effect was stunning...

I wasn't so sure about the al Qaeda connection. But I had heard enough to know that Saddam Hussein, with his stockpiles of nerve gas and death-dealing chemicals, is more of a menace than I had thought. I'm not ready for war yet. But Colin Powell has convinced me that it might be the only way to stop a fiend, and that if we do go, there is reason.
Slowhand:
Thanks for the Adlai Stevenson quote.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:42   #95
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Sorry Gatekeeper... scare tactics won't work on me. I'm still not buying any of the BS evidence that the Bush admin has provided. And one of my best friends from high school has been deployed in the MidEast (a marine). My parents also have many friends and co-workers that are reservists that have been called up. I have no desire to see them gased by weapons "made in the USA" that Reagan gave Saddam. That's why I don't want to see a foolish ground assault on Baghdad.
Old February 7, 2003, 00:02   #96
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 09:49
They're not scare tactics, Sava. Merely possibilities rooted in cold, hard reality. And, I, too have some acquaintances who are now being called up for duty.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old February 7, 2003, 00:13   #97
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Well, you're making the mistake of thinking there are only two options to Iraq. War or do nothing at all. I'm against war at this point because I don't believe Bush's crap. But that doesn't mean we leave the MidEast and do nothing about Saddam. With the 100 billion dollar price tag, and the human cost, war is not the best course of action. If Saddam does something aggressive, like attack us, Israel, or any of his neighbors, then we attack. Until then, nothing justifies a pre-emptive strike.
Old February 7, 2003, 00:33   #98
Mikhail
Chieftain

There was a lot more evidence there thasn just "fuzzy photos". The facts still remain that Iraq had WMD, and has yet to account for them, as which was required by resolution 1441 (and the 16 before it)....
The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. My (crappy) LiveJournal
Old February 7, 2003, 23:04   #99
Joseph
King

Local Time: 08:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Well, you're making the mistake of thinking there are only two options to Iraq. War or do nothing at all. I'm against war at this point because I don't believe Bush's crap. But that doesn't mean we leave the MidEast and do nothing about Saddam. With the 100 billion dollar price tag, and the human cost, war is not the best course of action. If Saddam does something aggressive, like attack us, Israel, or any of his neighbors, then we attack. Until then, nothing justifies a pre-emptive strike.
It's what Powell did not show the UN that you should be concern about and not what he did show. You can be sure this President is not revealing everything they have because of past even when people leaked thing to the press and we loss our advantage.
Case in point; some big mouth told the press that we were tracking OBL using his cell phone. Guess what OBL stopped using his cell phone. The same with the Soviet during SALT talks many years ago. Brezhnev was using a radio phone and we were listening in. As soon as some big mouth told the press, he stop using it.

Last edited by Joseph; February 8, 2003 at 21:43.
Old February 8, 2003, 01:09   #100
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:49
I'm a eurocommie Yankistani hatah and I don't trust Powell one bit.
Old February 8, 2003, 01:10   #101
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
I'm going to get a satellite photo of my local sports oval and label the toilet block "chemical weapons laboratory", the dressing sheds "missile storage" and the oval "missile launching pad" and see if anyone can tell the difference.
aaglo did that in the other thread, asking folks to identify the buildings.

I'm still waiting for him to tell me how I did.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 8, 2003, 01:58   #102
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
I'm going to get a satellite photo of my local sports oval and label the toilet block "chemical weapons laboratory", the dressing sheds "missile storage" and the oval "missile launching pad" and see if anyone can tell the difference.
Yeah, I'm sure those would fool RAF photo intelligence...

This is another 'it's illegal in Australia cause I say so' argument, isn't it?