Old February 6, 2003, 14:14   #1
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bug Out!
What are the two int's in the MoveArmy command for? I've put different numbers in there without any effect.

MoveArmy(army_t, int_t, int_t, int_t, location_t)
Move an army one square

Usually I use MoveUnits, but I thought perhaps I could get some extra functionality here.
Old February 6, 2003, 14:27   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 17:50
Well you could do what Ben did in the Knee-Deep in SLIC thread triger an message box on the MoveArmy event that contains the values of these int I think to access these ints you have to use value[0] and value[0]. So you would get a number that tell you if it do anything.

-Martin
Old February 6, 2003, 17:36   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:50
Could be directions or something, since its a one-square move only. Try what Martin suggests, only value[0] and value[1] may prove more effective
Old February 6, 2003, 20:13   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Maybe I should quote again the slic documention:

Quote:
MoveArmy(army_t, int_t, int_t, int_t, location_t)
Move an army one square
So the first int is the direction in that the army moves that should vary from 0 to 7. The other both are still a mystery. Well I have to admit that I overlooked the third one that should be accessed with value[0] .

The only example of triggering this event I found was in one of my experimental slic files here is the line:

Event:MoveArmy(MGArmy2, k, 1000, 1000, MGLoc);

k contains the direction, the other two ints are set very high probably they don't do anything, but test it with the messagebox.

-Martin
Old February 6, 2003, 20:54   #5
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Usually I use MoveUnits, but I thought perhaps I could get some extra functionality here.
You've got that to work? When I tried generating MoveUnit events, IIRC I ran up against a problem with it leaving a zone of control (invisably) behind. I think Locutus noticed this too.
Old February 7, 2003, 11:25   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
MoveUnits(army_t, location_t, location_t)
An army always moves on this event, no more legality checks at this point
Another problem if you trigger the MoveUnits event is that there aren't no more legacy checks on this point. So if you think the army shouldn't be moved if it doesn't has enough move points then you have to do it on your own. But that is actual not the problem, you get trouble if the target location contains more then 12 units after the MoveUnits event. The units above the limit are be killed. Actual also a result that is not too strange, but it moves also an army into a city that does not belong to the same civilsation as the army. This event also allows to move units of different civilisations into one quare so that you can group them to a new army, but don't try to move this multinational stack then the game will crash. Probably this event will also move land armies into the ocean without killing them. I didn't test this as I did this legacy check before.

-Martin
Old February 7, 2003, 14:12   #7
ahenobarb
Prince

Wow!

I never thought about those problems with MoveUnits before Martin, I better review some code to make sure I haven't created some problems.

I've used this line for MoveArmy:

Event:MoveArmy(Army[0], x, 0, 0, tmpLoc);

x is the location of the move, but the other two ints don't seem to do anything. I was thinking that one might be for number of squares (but this is contradicted by the description of the event), perhaps the second number of units from the army. But neither of these are the case. It's a mystery I guess, I was hoping someone out there had cracked it's secret.