Old February 6, 2003, 22:32   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Simcity 4 SUX
Because I dont know how to play it! Im' a total newbie, and someone needs to teach me the good techniques.
Old February 6, 2003, 22:53   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:52
Have you read the threads on Simcity 4? Got some excellent tips.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:43   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Have you read the threads on Simcity 4? Got some excellent tips.
I'm too lazy to read through all that text sorry
Old February 6, 2003, 23:55   #4
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Regional play is absolutely key! Switch cities every decade or so, share RCI demand, and everything will work great. I haven't played much, but here is what I got after about ten-eleven hours of play (spread over about two weeks ). See attachment.

As you can see, I already have four well-developed cities. (Well, maybe you can't, since I turned the borders off. Trust me ) And I also am just starting two new ones on the right-hand side. They are all connected to each other, so basically, in each city, the demands are sky-high for any type of industry, housing, and commerce. I then pick and choose what kind of city I want - poor populace + dirty industry, or a sort of rural farmer's village, a wealthy community, or a bustling commercial district, and zone the tiles, and services accordingly. Since the sims freely move around the cities, the demand is shared, and everyone can find a place according to their education and wealth.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	san-francisco.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	36177  
Spore page
Old February 7, 2003, 01:34   #5
Nubclear

How do I make deals for cities? I want to make Tassagrad the BEST city of the cities I'll create, and the others are simply there to serve.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:43   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:52
perhaps you should read the manual?
Old February 7, 2003, 01:51   #7
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
Old February 7, 2003, 02:16   #8
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
As you can see, I already have four well-developed cities.
Splendid. Can you post a larger screenie?

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 7, 2003, 03:20   #9
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 11:52
Quote:
While good advice, that assumes that the manual is more than a pamphlet telling you what's new in the game. *sigh*
Old February 7, 2003, 07:14   #10
aaglo
King

Local Time: 18:52
A quick question:

Do I need a DVD-player on my PC to play simcity 4?
Old February 7, 2003, 07:22   #11
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 17:52
ehm..No, i'm pretty sure it's still comes on a normal CD-ROM.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old February 7, 2003, 07:32   #12
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

:cries:

My city doesnt work!

I build some low res and low ind, a wind power plant and 3 water towers. No one comes!
Old February 7, 2003, 08:58   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

Have you connected any roads to offmap Eli? I always start with one connection to SimNation at least (this can be an empty zone or out of the region entirely.) If that doesn't kick start it I would try a small amount of medium or dense industrial. Then I'd triple check that I wasn't on pause mode
Old February 7, 2003, 09:13   #14
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I don't think that connections do anything if there's no city there.

The only things you should need to get development going is a power plant and industrial / residential zoning, connected together by roads and power lines (if they are not close together). It may take a month or two for construction to begin.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 7, 2003, 09:32   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I thought this was going to be a let's bash sim games thread...........damn you for disappointing me Tassadar.
Old February 7, 2003, 09:41   #16
Grumbold
Emperor

SimNation is supposed to produce demand but I've never tried doing two identical cities, one with connections and one without.
Old February 7, 2003, 10:00   #17
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

ADG tried to play that game of mine and no one came either. But it doesnt matter now, I started a new one and it works perfectly.
Old February 7, 2003, 10:34   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:52
Eli >> Just make sure you don't put your taxes tooooo high

Tassadar >> Had the same problem, and came to the conclusion: Practice makes... better

One important thing to remember:

Keep an eye on your schools/hospitals/etc, and cut the spending, if there's only little demand for it...

Oh, and one more thing: DON'T play it like it was SimCity 3k...
Old February 7, 2003, 13:30   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Yeah. Its even less forgiving than SC 2000, so playing like SC 3000 is a disaster
Old February 7, 2003, 14:43   #20
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 10:52
SC4 is fun, but I've started to run into a wall in city size. It just slows my game down too damn much. At 45k I can barely scroll around the dang map. And my system is no slouch, though it isn't top of the line. (Amd XP 2000, 512 mb pc2100 ram, geforce 3 ti200).

I've basically given up on getting big cities, and now i just try for high performance small ones.
Old February 7, 2003, 15:12   #21
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Try setting details lower. By default, they are all at maximum.
Old February 7, 2003, 16:53   #22
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Yeah. Its even less forgiving than SC 2000, so playing like SC 3000 is a disaster
This is heart-warming to hear. I wish HoI were so unforgiving; it would be the perfect game, wouldn´t it?

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 7, 2003, 16:58   #23
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Turning the clouds off sped up my game quite a bit...
Spore page
Old February 7, 2003, 18:29   #24
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
C'mon Tass, just use a little effort to learn some of the nuances of the game. Having a thriving city is so fun!
Old February 7, 2003, 21:44   #25
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Splendid. Can you post a larger screenie?
Well, I can't post a larger screenie of the region, since there is no zoom on that level. However, I can post some screenies of the cities.

This here below is just a closeup of some low-wealth commercial area, and some residential zoning.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	lowcommercial.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	36245  
Spore page
Old February 7, 2003, 21:46   #26
vovan
Emperor

And this is my first city that is a century old.

(Don't look for a university, it's not there yet. )
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	berkeley-100.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	36246  
Spore page
Old February 7, 2003, 21:48   #27
Nubclear

How do I get regional play to work? Do I Just hook everything up? Can I build a power city and i just hook up the power lines and it'll begin giving power to the connected cities?

Help
Old February 7, 2003, 21:51   #28
vovan
Emperor

Yes. Only the neighboring cities need to give $ for the electricity.

So, you need to start neighbor deals. That's a bit weird to do. I spent a long time trying to figure that one out (about ten-fifteen minutes ). On the finance tab, the one with the simoleon sign. You need to click the income/expense table to bring up the detailed report, and then click "Neighbor deals" from either list. That will bring a list with the possible neighbor deals. Choose the one you want, and how much you want to pay / make, and there ya go.
Spore page
Old February 8, 2003, 04:32   #29
Eli
Emperor

I could use some help with the traffic here.

The southern bank is Industry, the shores of the norhtern bank are commercial and the rest of the northern bank is residential. Most of it $.

So basically, most of the residents move through the bridges to work and most of the "work" falls on one briddge.

I scattered a few bus stations around the city(you can see them in the screenshot, I think). It helped, but only temporarily. Most of the bus stations are barely used, and those that are used are only and less than 20-30% capacity.

I added a railroad line... less than 50 people use it.

Any advice?

Basically I need to make the people who live in the Western neighborhoods to use the Western bridge, instead of using the middle one like everyone else.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	traffic-problems.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	36268  
Old February 8, 2003, 06:07   #30
Eli
Emperor

What I did is to get rid of the congested bridge and build a highway bridge instead. No one was using the highway and everyone started to move to the yellow bridge, which immediately became all red. I razed it.

Now everyone use the highway but there is a lot of congestion in the roads leading to it.

So I razed the Eastern bridge and built another highway bridge instead of it. Still, all the sims seem to flock to that middle highway bridge, thus causing lots of traffic in the roads leading to it. All this, despite having another perfect highway bridge on the East and a road bridge on the West.