Old February 8, 2003, 15:33   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 10:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Railroad barons
Mr. President, several business tycoons have approached me to beg for engineers to build a railroad between High Tower and Panama Canal, they tell me it would take 29 engineer turns to complete such a venture. Such a line would provide an enormous benefit for reaching our cities in the far west and shorten the time freight would need to travel to the port city of freeport for shipping to China's East Coast. The barons were even nice enough to suggest a spot for a future city with two specials within the city limits right along the railway. Just think of the benefits our defense forces would get being able to rush to panama canal if viking troops were to again appear and wish to attack us as they did back in the 60's! This rail line could also be extended to reach Freeport.

Grey line proposed railroad, it would take one engineer 29 turns to complete. (2 would take 15 turns) The yellow dot is the proposed city spot.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rail1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	36321  
Old February 8, 2003, 15:36   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Rail Spur!

In addition to the proposed railroad between Panama Canal and High Tower, the barons presented a map with a proposed railroad spur to darkness' fort. Hopefully to be worked on after the completion of the first rail line.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rail2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	36322  
Old February 8, 2003, 15:55   #3
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

excellent suggestions. Isolated outposts are always harder to defend. And if we ever plan on making Freeport the trading hub that its founding fathers envisioned, this will go a long way to making it a reality
Old February 8, 2003, 16:30   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:58
A pair of engineers is currently only a couple turns away from connecting Freeport and Panama canal by railway. When that is done, I will instruct them to work towards High Tower while another engineer (or 2) works from High Tower towards Panama canal. They can meet in the middle, and a few of them can start on the spur down towards Darkness' Fort.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:36   #5
H Tower

with 3 engineers it would take about 10 turns to complete a connection between Panama Canal and High Tower.

(Wow, I never thought that little city named after me would ever be mentioned so much in this game)
Old February 8, 2003, 16:41   #6
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
(Wow, I never thought that little city named after me would ever be mentioned so much in this game)
lucky bastard...
Old February 8, 2003, 16:54   #7
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321

lucky bastard...

i mentioned St. Praski in a thread today! it's our second oldest city, High Tower is a little size one city that only exists on a dead end railroad, with only the hope of becomgin a little hamlet along a rail line that leads to 3 cities that have not contributed greatly to our empire. I fail to see how I'm a lucky bastard
Old February 8, 2003, 16:57   #8
H Tower

EDIT: dp
Old February 8, 2003, 17:12   #9
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

The Minister of City-Planning always likes to see the cities connected by Railroad!
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old February 8, 2003, 18:11   #10
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
The Minister of City-Planning always likes to see the cities connected by Railroad!
Follow up, if the railroad is completed (and we reestablish the ferry service between our primary islands) we can start getting very quick deliveries out of Freeport to the Chinese.

Needed Ferries are Cadiz-Pamplona and Granada-Rabbitton (would need 2 transports for same turn delivery)

One possible alternative to a Granada-Rabbitton ferry would be putting a city at the end of the railroad SW of rabbitton and another city SE of Granada.

Suggested city sites indicated by yellow dots. If we wanted the fish, we could build at the blue dot and still be within range of transports but would then need to first connect by by railroad.

With the High Tower-Freeport Railroad and those 2 ferries, we could greatly increase our ability to deliver freights quickly and we can ignore my previous suggestion of polar port cities.

Edit - wrong pic first time
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	new ferry.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	36342  
Old February 8, 2003, 18:56   #11
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Railroads are always good. I usually have 12 - 14 engineers working just on them all the time...
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old February 8, 2003, 19:28   #12
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

From a military standpoint:

Railroads greatly improve our defensive capabilities for less troops.

I fully support HTower's railroad barons.
Old February 8, 2003, 19:42   #13
H Tower

the question really is, WHO are going to be our main trading partners for the rest of the game, if its the chinese, then building those two cities would be a good idea, if its the carthegenians or the celts or the vikigns, then those two possible cities would be a waste
Old February 8, 2003, 20:56   #14
SCG
King

Quote:
the question really is, WHO are going to be our main trading partners for the rest of the game, if its the chinese, then building those two cities would be a good idea, if its the carthegenians or the celts or the vikigns, then those two possible cities would be a waste
Even if we don't trade with the chinese, we have 10 cities, several of which have been or are building freights, that have been taking quite a while to get to the the other side to catch rides to whomever they are to be traded with from CAPITOL's side of the ferry.
Old February 9, 2003, 09:30   #15
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Quote:

i mentioned St. Praski in a thread today! it's our second oldest city, High Tower is a little size one city that only exists on a dead end railroad, with only the hope of becomgin a little hamlet along a rail line that leads to 3 cities that have not contributed greatly to our empire. I fail to see how I'm a lucky bastard
It was a joke, maybe I should added a there...
Old February 10, 2003, 01:24   #16
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 01:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Perhaps we should also run the railway line through any special terrain that is in the precepts of a city or proposed city location?????
Old February 10, 2003, 03:12   #17
H Tower

the idea of this particular line is to connect the cities as fast as possible. I'm sure that once the line connects the cities that terrain development wil occur