Old February 8, 2003, 22:42   #1
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which Sequence of Improvements Max Out a City's Production ?
1. Is it correct that the Power Plants cancel each other out ? So after you build a factory, the best power plant would be a nuclear reactor. On top of that, one may build a manufacturing plant. The ideal sequence would be Factory-->Nuclear Plant-->Manufacturing Plant.

2. If I have the Hoover Dam and I have hydro plants in all my cities, can I build another power plant on top of that and keep the effect of the Hoover Dam?

Thanks.
Old February 8, 2003, 23:03   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
1. For production, yeah. Do not forget Iron Works. And railroads all around the city.

2. Yes.
Old February 9, 2003, 01:00   #3
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

So if have a nuclear power plant AND Hoover Dam, the effect is additive ? In other words, shouldn't the nuclear power plant REPLACE the Hoover Dam, as it does the normal hydro plant? If it does not, that means any civ that builds the Hoover Dam has a HUGE advantage. Are you sure that is correct ?
Old February 9, 2003, 01:28   #4
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 12:01
Quote:
Originally posted by SorvinoBackhand
So if have a nuclear power plant AND Hoover Dam, the effect is additive ? In other words, shouldn't the nuclear power plant REPLACE the Hoover Dam, as it does the normal hydro plant? If it does not, that means any civ that builds the Hoover Dam has a HUGE advantage. Are you sure that is correct ?
No, it's not additive.
You asked: "If I have the Hoover Dam and I have hydro plants in all my cities, can I build another power plant on top of that and keep the effect of the Hoover Dam?" And that answer is also "Yes". The effect of the HD is to place a hydro plant in all your cities on that continent. Building other power plants in some of those cities doesn't negate the effect of the HD in the other cities.

Quote:
So after you build a factory, the best power plant would be a nuclear reactor.
Not necessarily. The nuclear reactor would gove the greatest production boost. But it carries the risk of nuclear meltdown - not a minor drawback. I don't know the odds of meltdown occurring, but I'd guess that if you built a reactor in every city in a very large empire, the likelihood of a meltdown would be pretty large.
The game giveth and the game taketh away. LOL.
Old February 9, 2003, 08:54   #5
pedrojedi
Prince

A true biblical menace, LOL.

As far as I know, the chances are pretty small, as long as you keep your empire at order - no anarchy, no protests. I never built one (always lost/won before that), but people here comment that it almost never happened with them.
Old February 9, 2003, 10:53   #6
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 12:01
Never happened to me, either, but I've only built a handful of reactors in all my games. (a Nuclear reactor in a city w/ Iron Works is really an impressive sight!) I'm a great believer in Murphy and see no reason to push my luck.
Old February 9, 2003, 13:23   #7
SorvinoBackhand
Chieftain

I am a bit confused: if I build a hydro plant in a city, and then a nuclear power plant, the hydro plant is superseded. You can have only ONE power plant according to the Civililopedia - hence the hydro plant would be made obsolete by the nuclear plant.

That is why I am asking about the specific issue of the Hoover Dam. Does it override that logic ? In other words, if have the HD and then build a nuclear plant in a city, do I get to keep the effects of both ?
Old February 9, 2003, 13:31   #8
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SorvinoBackhand

That is why I am asking about the specific issue of the Hoover Dam. Does it override that logic ? In other words, if have the HD and then build a nuclear plant in a city, do I get to keep the effects of both ?
As already said...
Quote:
Originally posted by wilbill
No, it's not additive.

QED...
Old February 9, 2003, 14:15   #9
pedrojedi
Prince

Just to confirm: if you have the Hoover Dam(n!), it gives hidro plant to all cities in the same continent. If you want to build a Nuclear plant in one of those, it will override the hidroplant, and the hidro will be gone, as long as you keep the Nuclear plant.

The effect of the Hoover Dam(n!) will not be negated.

Should you melt down your Nuclear Plant (you unlucky bastard! ), the hidro plant will come back. The same goes if you sell your Nuclear Plant.

Man, you really ask questions! Don't be frightened, the reality is just what we are putting here.
Old February 10, 2003, 14:49   #10
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:01
If you have the Hoover Dam and then build a Nuclear Plant in the city, the effect of the Hoover Dam to put a Hydro Plant in each city will still work.

However, the 50% production bonus from the Hydro Plant will be gone and replaced w/ a 150% shield bonus from the Nuke Plant.

If you start a new city somewhere or take over an enemy city (on your continent) you will still get a Hydro Plant in that new city.

A Nuclear plant superceeds the production bonus that the Hoover Dam gives (in that city) but does not affect the ability of the HD to put Hydros in other cities.