Old February 8, 2003, 22:44   #1
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does the Hoover Dam Work in Cities without a Water Source?
If I build the Hoover Dam, do I get the effect of a hydor plant in ALL my cities or just in the ones that could have built it ?

Thanks.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:59   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
All of them in the same continent.
Old February 9, 2003, 10:50   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Yes, it works.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 9, 2003, 13:28   #4
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Just to be sure, Monk:

So even in cities without a water source, if I build the HD, those cities get the effects of a hydro power plant. That seems pretty extreme to me, because you then basically get a power plan then in ALL cities. Power plants are a major and expensive city upgrade, so that would be a huge advantage for whoever builds it.

Are you positive ?
Old February 9, 2003, 13:33   #5
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Yes. It is an important wonder, so do your best to get it!

--Kon--
Old February 9, 2003, 14:09   #6
pedrojedi
Prince

Yes, it gives a hidro plant even to cities that have no rivers in their vicinity and were founded in the middle of the desert. If you go to the City View screen, you'll see a magically given river by the Hoover Dam(n!).

Remember, all cities IN THE SAME CONTINENT. Cities that are spread out in Archipelagos won't have the advantage if they are not in the same island of the Wonder.

And yeah, it's pretty sweet and damn good!
Old February 9, 2003, 14:16   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Ya see, it is producing all the power needs at the dam. It then distributes the power via power lines to all the other cities.

Yes, it is a gross exageration of real life (unless you happen to be on a small continent), but the principle applies.

(I live about 20 miles from the dam)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old February 10, 2003, 07:28   #8
SorvinoBackhand
Chieftain

Does it improve the production of cities that don't have factories, or do you need that in order for the HD bonus to kick in ?
Old February 10, 2003, 08:23   #9
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 16:01
As power-plants only increase the production from factories you do need a factory to benefit from Hoover.
Old February 10, 2003, 12:16   #10
tibbits
Settler

Local Time: 17:01
Does the Hoover Dam work as well as a plant, say the Solar Plant, in a city?
Old February 10, 2003, 12:27   #11
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 12:01
Quote:
Originally posted by SorvinoBackhand
Does it improve the production of cities that don't have factories, or do you need that in order for the HD bonus to kick in ?
You have two threads started on basically this same question - "How does the Hoover Dam work?"
I'd suggest that you play the game to the point where you can build the HD and then take a look at the effect it has on your cities. Then try building other types of power plants in some of those cities and see what happens.
Old February 10, 2003, 13:55   #12
pedrojedi
Prince

"Practice is the best teacher"

I SURELY agree.
Old February 10, 2003, 14:02   #13
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 10:01
Quote:
Originally posted by tibbits
Does the Hoover Dam work as well as a plant, say the Solar Plant, in a city?
Tibbits,

Basically there are 3 types of power plants that all have the same benefit: Coal, Hydro, Solar. Each of these increase production 50% (have to have a factory to build).

There are some pros and cons to each:
Coal Plant: can build earliest, polutes
Hydro Plant: No Polution, need river
Solar Plant: No terrain requirements, available w/ Ecology--takes a long time to get.

The Nuclear Plant gives 150% bonus. It requires a source of water w/in the city radius, Requires Uranium, and can melt-down if your citizens are unhappy.

Each type of power plant that you build replaces the one already in the city. They do not stack.

Now that you know something about the powerplants, if you Build the Hoover Dam it puts a Hydro Plant in each city on the continent--even land-locked tundra or desert cities. This improvement has the potential to really rock if you get it.
Old February 11, 2003, 02:41   #14
aaglo
King

Local Time: 19:01
Comments of Steven8r's good summary post.

I thought that nuclear plant gives 100% increase in production, but I'm not sure of this. Also, it does not cause conventional pollution at all (same as hydro and solar plants).

And about the solar plant - it is very expensive to build.
Old February 11, 2003, 08:35   #15
pedrojedi
Prince

I really miss the other features of the Solar Plant that were left in Civ2. Specially the fact that it reduced global warming!

Is there any way workers can terraform terrain, using the editor? That is also something very very missed.
Old February 11, 2003, 11:43   #16
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
Comments of Steven8r's good summary post.

I thought that nuclear plant gives 100% increase in production, but I'm not sure of this.
Hey, thanks for the compliment.

You are correct, Nuclear Plants give 100% bonus to production, not 150% as I had originally stated.

I must've been having a Bad Brain Day.

Last edited by steven8r; February 11, 2003 at 11:51.
Old February 11, 2003, 11:49   #17
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi
Is there any way workers can terraform terrain, using the editor? That is also something very very missed.
PedroJedi,

The only 'teraforming' that you can do even with the editor is just the basic stuff. mine, irrigate, road, plant forrest.

It would be cool to have the ability to terrace a mountain or something so as to get some food production. That could be cool.

The only jobs that you can assign with the editor are just the common ones. You can, however, assign various Worker jobs to military units. For example, you could edit the ability for Riflemen to build fortresses.
Old February 11, 2003, 13:31   #18
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 18:01
Are Nuclear Plants worth building or shouldn't I build them because they can meltdown?
Old February 11, 2003, 14:54   #19
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Quote:
Originally posted by badman
Are Nuclear Plants worth building or shouldn't I build them because they can meltdown?
If I have a productive city without any hills, mountains or forests adjacent, AND I need the production (and there is a required river within the radius), then I will strongly consider it.

If you don't have any other power plant in the city, by all means do it.

If you do not take good care of your cits and cities are occasionally upset, I would strongly consider NOT doing it.
Old February 11, 2003, 14:59   #20
Albert
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:01
If you already have a hydroplant, the hoover will give you an extra hydroplant effect?
Old February 11, 2003, 19:54   #21
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
If you already have a hydroplant, the hoover will give you an extra hydroplant effect?
No.

Quote:
It would be cool to have the ability to terrace a mountain or something so as to get some food production. That could be cool.
Civ2 says "hi"! I miss terraforming desert to plains, plains to grassland, grassland to hills...

Quote:
The only jobs that you can assign with the editor are just the common ones. You can, however, assign various Worker jobs to military units. For example, you could edit the ability for Riflemen to build fortresses.
I think I would make a modern tank that could plant a forest. Does the "wipe out the enemy" function AND preserves nature!
Old February 12, 2003, 14:33   #22
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi
I think I would make a modern tank that could plant a forest. Does the "wipe out the enemy" function AND preserves nature!
That's a good one!

I can be convienient for say Swordsmen to be able to Clear Jungle--they already have the blades. It's also nice for some units to be able to build Fortresses. How many times in Real Life does the military have to wait on civilian workers to build stuff? It makes more sense for the military to be able to build their own structures.

Now that I think about it, this is starting to get off-topic. Perhaps we should contine in another thread.