View Poll Results: Does your country have a major immigration problem?
Yes 15 65.22%
No 7 30.43%
The bananas are already the majority in my country 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 9, 2003, 12:36   #31
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 17:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion

link?
couldn't find anything in english, but I did find an article from a norwegian newspaper.

it's basically about how the travel agencies Astra and Verdikt in Moscow offer packages:

$900 pr person for the trip.
$100 for a lawyer that can come up with a good story about how you've been persecuted etc.
$150 for a contact person in norway who helps with the practicalities of seeking political asylum.

but this is 6 months ago so things have probably changed
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=2284376
Old February 9, 2003, 12:38   #32
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:01
I was in Coquelles (near Sangatte) just before Christmas, and I didn't see a single white person on the streets, they were all Asians (etc) speaking broken English or their native language.

It crystallised the conclusion that immigration isn't the problem, its the concentration of immigrants in a single location, and the speed with which they are absorbed into the local society.

Last edited by Dauphin; February 9, 2003 at 12:44.
Old February 9, 2003, 12:45   #33
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 19:01
Not really, I guess.. But those who do, pisses me off.
This summer some 200 hundred entered here, looking for asylum or something, I don't know, they were just poor people wanting to get better stuff. So what happened, surprise surprise they didn't get it. They knew they wouldn't get it. So some of them went missing, only to be found doing professional thievering etc robbing stuff. Then cops flew them back to their country, we paid the tickets as tax payers. Few of them said to cops 'don't worry, we'll be back next year' and laughed. They know they get to spend part of the summer free, maybe steal and free trip home. I'm telling you if I catch one of these thieves, I'm going to brake something in them.

But good folks can always come if it was up to me. Thieves and fools like these, stay away, we don't want you, just die.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 9, 2003, 13:25   #34
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:01
The United States' immigration problem stems from the fact that the government is too inept to effectively organize official ports of entry for immigrants... xenophobia aside...
Old February 9, 2003, 13:33   #35
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 12:01
We don't have a problem with immigration, per se. We have a problem with documenting the immigrants. The political pressure for fewer immigrants discourages the feds from documenting them upon entry.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 9, 2003, 13:41   #36
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Obviously not documenting them have several advantages. No documentations, no rights, no social benefits. Keeping that huge reserve labour army of mexicans on their toes is good for business.
Old February 9, 2003, 13:50   #37
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 12:01
No, it's not nearly that sinister, as undocumented immigrants can get many benefits anyway and normally are granted citizenship after a while. Rather, it was part of a hear no evil, speak no evil approach that successfully papered over a divide in opinion in the body politic.

With 9/11, it can't last much longer, though.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 9, 2003, 13:55   #38
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

DanS, I think your a bit naive on the desires of business in America to have illegals available for domestic labor. I agree it's a hear no evil, etc; type of thing. But when businesses look at their bottom lines and at what they save in labor costs when they don't have to pay what America has deemed "fair and honest" wages; they aren't too motivated to stop illegal immigration.

I have a theory that if the US catalogued every illegal and made them legal residents, you would see an exodus of business to overseas labor markets. And people say environmentalists are labor killers
Old February 9, 2003, 14:06   #39
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 09:01
Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
Bastards! Share some of the enourmous riches you get from oil with the rest of us
How about you work for it like the rest of us do?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 9, 2003, 14:10   #40
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Don't you mean "make others work for it like the rest of us"?
Old February 9, 2003, 14:19   #41
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
The big problem in Sweden is that the patently evil immigration authorities constantly send people back to certain deaths. Respect the Geneva Convention you ****ers!

(It's interesting to note that in Sweden, all the tabloid stories about Asylum seekers are about cases where the immigration service is ****ing up and keeping real refugees out, or about how to successfully integrate immigrants in the workplace with all the evil discrimination going on.)
Old February 9, 2003, 14:34   #42
Oerdin
Deity

A country like Sweden needs to carefully check to make sure asylum seekers have a valid case. Other wise they'd be swamped with economic migrants who'd come there just to sit on the bums and suck up welfare.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 9, 2003, 14:35   #43
Oerdin
Deity

People will ridicule the above statement but it's true and it happens in every rich country.
Old February 9, 2003, 14:40   #44
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Oerdin: Rich corporations exploit the people, the government, and taxes for much more than the poor exploit welfare.
Old February 9, 2003, 15:25   #45
Oerdin
Deity

Ah, but let's face it the corporations and the rich pay for the rest of us so I'm willing to look the other way every now and then. The welfare frauds, however, have no redeeming value. They are fraudulent liars who sole purpose is to leach off of the work of others.
Old February 9, 2003, 19:07   #46
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
Sure checks need to be made- I'm not for free immigration by any means. All I'm saying is that a country like britain is likely sending back hundreds, if not thousands of entirely valid refugees to death or percecution, or forcing them to live in a shadowy, illegal underworld. And that no-one in this country seems to give a damn.
Old February 10, 2003, 02:41   #47
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Sounds like any other run-down inner city area to me. You think 20 stabbings in 6 months is some sort of epidemic? You think that any group of locals won't watch out for each other? Whatever colour their skin, or the language they speak?

More crucially, what makes you think that the ethnic groups you single out are any less welcome than the Australasians that occupy every bar job in London?
This was Reading. And to be frank the Aussies in the Walkabout bar in the town centre ****** me off to no end. As does Steve Irwin, Rolf Harris and Adam Gilchrist.
Old February 10, 2003, 03:48   #48
Propaganda
Warlord

Re: Does your country have an immigration problem?
Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Does your country have an immigration problem?
No, but we(Russia) do have an emigration problem, thanks to you filthy Americans!
Old February 10, 2003, 20:46   #49
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Quote:
You tell me what I can do to find oil in my backyard, I m all ear

Gangerolf, yeah, crazy Russians I guess they are the only ones that can adopt to the climate. But why arent they swarming to Finland in great numbers