View Poll Results: Do we need a larger treasury?
Yes, Deliver those non-food freights now 3 60.00%
Yes, Raise taxes, but only for a specified amout of time (say below) 0 0%
Yes, Raise taxes at least till the next round 0 0%
Yes, but not for infrastructure, just for war 0 0%
Yes, and do both - raise taxes [b]and[/a] deliver all commodity freights 1 20.00%
No, but we need more money to spend each turn (specify projects) 0 0%
No, and our income is fine as it is 0 0%
Did you know banana peels make great fertilizer? 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 9, 2003, 12:34   #1
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 11:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do we need a larger treasury?
Our Minister of City Planning has expressed an interest in having a larger treasury than we currently have, in the event of emergencies. We currently have over 1600 gold, and plan on spending the majority of it this turn to speed various projects (some of which will increase our gold-producing ability considerably). At this point in time, our tax rate is 20% tax, 50% science, and 30% luxuries, and nets 158 gold per turn, and we have 3 total freight that are demanded by foreign civs (one of which has decided to go 4-wheeling and is probably 5-6 turns from delivery from a foreign civ) We have 2 freights demanded by the Mongols, but are on the viking side of the Mongol civ, so while we are 4 turns from delivery to the westernmost mongolian cities (with our current transport locations and if we build a transport in Quinsay at some point), we are again more than 6 turns from delivery. Those 2 freights are also demanded locally, of which Kazan (size 4, max 14 worker arrows) and Nepal (size 3, max 13 worker trade arrows) might be the biggest payoff - we are 4 turns from delivery to both those locations. Minister caverbear is trying to rectify this freight shortage, but it will take a couple turns to start getting the proper type of freights rolling off the assembly lines. If we wish to maintain a larger treasury, we have a few options.

First, we could try deliver non-demanded freights to republican civs like the Chinese. We have 23 food freights, 7 undemanded, and 3 demanded. Delivery to Tsingtao should free up demand for wine, and the chinese have 2 unknown cities. Japan has 5 unknown cities. Delivery of gems to Ruscurru would free wine, and the Carthaginians have 8 unknown cities. Vikings and Celts are to far for quick deliveries with our current transport fleet. Also, CAPITOL will start producing 1-turn food freights in 3 turns in reports from the city planning minister.

Second, we could do what we did to get the treasury in the first place - raise taxes. 20% would bring in an extra 278 gold per turn, and as superhighways get completed, that should go up noticably. We could do it temporarily again as last turn, or we could set it until the next cabinet meeting. Discoveries would be slowed by 1-2 turns if we raise taxes, but we should make most of that up by finishing superhighways and universities. Example: 50% science, no superhighways, CAPITOL brings 105 science using all trade workers. with superhighways and 30% science, CAPITOL brings in 96 science with same layout.

Third, we could put off buying items, which will delay further projects and slow ability to produce other needed items (especially freight, as the ones we would delay would be the superhighway cities - most of which are scheduled for freight next.)

Alternatively, we could continue continue to operate a lean opertation, with little spare tax each turn, and little spare treasury in case of emergencies

I wouldn't mind seeing extra taxes to aid in catching up our infrastructure for at least a couple more turns, provided we do actually use it for the infrastructure this time

And setting this just for 2 days, given that Pres has indicated wanting to play sooner rather than later

Last edited by SCG; February 9, 2003 at 13:49.
Old February 9, 2003, 13:51   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Couple of followups
that [/a] should be a [/b] to bold the word and

1 oil is currently earmarked for Capitol to remove a food route this turn.

also, its 23 food, 3 demanded, 7 undemanded, not 22 and 8 like i orginally posted (and then edited)

we are 2 turns minimum from the Japanese, and 3 turns minimum from the Chinese and can deliver to at least 2 Carthagenian cities this turn.
Old February 9, 2003, 13:54   #3
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Deliver the freights by all means. Even if undemanded, they'll still yield something, and they may free up supply commodities in the cities they originate from.

Otherwise... if you keep raising the taxes, it'll take forever to actually achieve our goal, AC. The best way to increase income long term would be to grow/celebrate our cities in the near term, which would require some techs which we won't get by raising taxes.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 10, 2003, 16:54   #4
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Military financing is fine. We need to keep our science up to keep on the research path. Let's build more demanded freights and deliver them so that we get both the trade bonus and the science bonus.
Old February 11, 2003, 19:34   #5
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Just wanted to add that, while I *personally* like to keep around 2,000 gold in my own games, I'm not specifically recommending it in this one or for this time. We are, after all getting back into a trade route mode, and that can allow us to recover expenditures rapidly.

It's more that I get really nervous when the treasury is down to a few hundred gold and it will take a few turns to get a safe balance accumulated again.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul