Old February 9, 2003, 21:51   #1
chairmanmeow
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Green Persia
Here's the first chapter of a story that I'm working on. I'll post more later. I hope you like it.

Chapter 1 - Tolosa, Celtica

"Your assignment is to build a road across Tolosa Island." the commander of a worker unit told the workers. "You will build it around the city of Herat, so you are not captured by the Persians."

After receiving their commands, the workers left Tolosa, and began their work. They survived by remembering what life in their former country was like, long before they had been captured by the Celts, and forced into a slave ship to cross the ocean to Tolosa. Slowly, foot by foot, the road took shape, as the workers slaved to build the road. Disobeying their masters would mean certain death: the Celts were not kind to workers, especially foreign workers. They only controlled islands, so the workers were of little use in connecting cities.

After reaching the top of a hill, a sight in the distance caught the attention of the workers. A Persian musketman unit had left Herat, and was moving their way. To the slaves, this was the perfect chance. They could escape Celtic oppression. However, another thought stuck in their mind: Will their new leaders be worse than their old? Memories of the battle that had originally uprooted them had been fading, but were far from gone. The Persians could be even worse than the Celts.

The Persians destroyed the workers' defenders, and took the unit. Before any resistance could be organized, the workers found themselves once again on a slave ship.

After a long voyage over the ocean, the city of Dariush Kabir came into view. It was far superior to any city they had ever seen. Leonardo's Workshop, the largest building in Dariush Kabir, was clearly visible from the ship. Everywhere they saw green: the green flag of Persia, the green military uniforms of Persian units, and the green grasslands surrounding Dariush Kabir. Even their own uniforms, which were handed out when they reached the harbor at Dariush Kabir, were green.

That, however, meant very little to the worker unit. They were slaves. They tend the green grasslands, irrigating them so the lands can supply the Persians with large amounts of food. But, being slaves, they could not look forward to bountiful harvests. Working for England and the Celts had nearly killed them, and most of the workers were sure that Persia would finish the job.

Their first task was to build a road to New Exeter. Unbelievable as it was to the slaves, they would soon be returning to the country that had caused all of their suffering: England.
Old February 9, 2003, 22:14   #2
Civ3King
Chieftain

Not a bad start, keep going

"Too many ties with too many people will get you in a knot."
- Me
Old February 10, 2003, 05:50   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 17:05
Yes looks interesting so please continue. There have been only a few stories to focus on the exploits of workers units and Im sure there is room for much more to be written so on with the story.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 10, 2003, 12:51   #4
Prince Jason
Warlord

Local Time: 08:05
good start, waiting to read more

Jason
Old February 10, 2003, 13:11   #5
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 10:05
A nice little teaser. If the rest of the story is as good, I am sure it will be one great piece.
Spore page
Old February 13, 2003, 17:49   #6
chairmanmeow
Chieftain

Thanks for the comments. As you may be able to figure out from this chapter, this is a sequel to Governor of Vitoria.

Chapter 2 - Southern Persia

"Dig! Move those shovels! We've got to finish this road!" rang out the shouts of the commander of the unit. Working for Persia was just as difficult as working for England and the Celts. The road builders passed through Zohak on the way to New Exeter, and while in Zohak, they saw the same intolerances that they had seen ever since their first day as workers. Local laborers spat at them and taunted them as they walked by, and the commander violently urged them forward, beating anyone who wasn't moving fast enough.

"On to New Exeter!" the commander shouted as the unit left Zohak. The workers wondered why, since they had travelled thousands of miles in their journey, they could not escape England. England started their struggle, so long ago, when the English military destroyed their home town. The English followed them to their new homeland, taking them captive before they could arrive there. The English had destroyed their new capital. And now, the English had arrived on the other side of the sea, on the Persian continent, and apparently had built cities on the Persian continent. It was clear that the cancer that was England had spread.

That thought stuck in the mind of Jose, who, before the unit was captured by England, had led the unit through the wilds of the far north. There was no escape from England, as Jose saw it. But maybe England could be resisted, and maybe its expansion could be stopped.

However, Jose knew he could not fight England as a member of a worker unit, so he decided to try to escape. He had learned the Persian language while he was on the boat to Dariush Kabir, and could hide among the population of Persia. On a dark night, he decided to go through with his plan. While the commander was asleep, he stealthily crept away from the camp. In the dark, moonless night, Jose silently walked back to Zohak, where he waited for the sun to rise.

In the morning, the people of the town found Jose in the town square, waiting for them. He told people who asked about him that he was a traveller from Dariush Kabir, and was interested in forming an anti-English political party. Most laughed at what he said, since England was an ally, and the thought that there should be an anti-England party was abominable to most Persians. However, one resident of Zohak did not ignore Jose.

"You are interested in eliminating English influence in Persia?" he asked Jose.

"Yes, I am. I have learned through my journeys that England is an evil influence on the world, and must be destroyed," Jose replied.

"In that case, would you be interested in joining my group, which is dedicated to removing the English from the Persian continent?"

"Yes," Jose bluntly replied.

"In that case, welcome to Green Persia."
Old February 13, 2003, 18:29   #7
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 17:05
Ironically I am playing a game at the moment as the English and Ive just taken all the spanish cities to be found. They have still got a settler unit somewhere though so I will have to keep searching.

Like the story very much, nice angle
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 13, 2003, 18:36   #8
chairmanmeow
Chieftain

That's how I got the idea for Governor of Vitoria. I had backstabbed Spain and taken Madrid, then I razed the rest of their cities.