Old March 6, 2001, 06:09   #1
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 05:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thoughts about garrisons for sea bases
In my current game, I was forced to play the Peacekeepers the Svensgard way, because I started on a very small peninsula with the Usurpers at the bottleneck.
In a long part of the game, I had twice as much sea bases as land bases, and with all this sea bases with low mineral production, I was in need of a cheap marine unit.

I used a thing I called "Auxilliary Cruiser" in several generations:
2-3r-6-AAA
4-4-6*2-AAA-blink
4-5-6*2-AAA-blink

The astonishing think I found out was that this Auxilliary Cruiser was cheaper than an infantry garrison with the same armour!

For example, 4-5-6*2-AAA-blink costs 40 minerals, but 1-5t-1*2-AAA-trance costs 50 minerals. It's the same with the other versions.

So I have learned, it seems to be better to use this auxilliary cruisers as garrisons for sea and coastal bases. They are cheaper, they are mobile, they are able to take bases, and even with their weak weapon they can easily kill a unarmored transport.

Additionally, these cheap ships, supported by some needlejets or choppers,
are ideal to rush trough an enemies sea empire. For taking an empty base, You don't need best weapon.

The only disadvantage is that the basic cruiser unit 1-1-6 costs 20 minerals, the 1-1-1 scout patrol costs only 10 minerals. So, if You need to rush a garrison unit very fast, it is better to use the infantry garrison.

"Steelborn, Starborn"
Old March 6, 2001, 07:32   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:07
Wouldn't any attackers get the +100% inport bonus against ship garrisons? effectivly halving there armour compared to infantry. Also, ships don't do police duty.
Old March 6, 2001, 07:54   #3
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 05:07
quote:

Originally posted by Blake on 03-06-2001 06:32 AM
Wouldn't any attackers get the +100% inport bonus against ship garrisons? effectivly halving there armour compared to infantry.

That may be true, I haven't thought of it. Thanks for bringing out this point.
But normally, the ship garrison is the second garrison unit, the first will be a normal infantry garrison, because, as I explained, the rush building is faster and cheaper.

quote:

Also, ships don't do police duty.

I never rely on police units. When a base is attacked, and the defender is killed, You loose the police effect with the defender, and because of the drone riots, You will be unable to rush a new defender!

"Steelborn, Starborn"
Old March 7, 2001, 00:02   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:07
The police effect is mainly noteworthy when playing sven.

I always use a dedicated police unit, 1-1-1, Police, Clean. That way the argument of it getting taken out is irrelevant - beacause all of your real defenders die protecting it. And rec commons can be probed. A "cops" unit is great for sea cities because there so cheap.

I think I'll have to try ship garrisons - I like keeping an artillary unit in each base but I think I would be better served by ships in coastal bases, after all they are no more expensive, bombard just as well, still get an altitude bonus, can attack pesky isles and ofcourse be used for there intended role - naval warfare.

Incidentely something to note about ships, especially the early 2-3-4's. If you try attacking one with a laser foil then you probably lose - instead bombard it, that way the effective defense is reduced to 2. The same applies for any ships with defense higher than attack, bombard them don't attack them directely. Also you can bombard hostile ships from the safety of a city, this way your ship need not be vunerable to counterattack.
Ship duels are always to the death too.