Where is the government for the war crazed people out there
hi ,

try communism , .....

good Q but no real answer , .....

who knows , maybe in an XP , ......

have a nice day
Old February 10, 2003, 09:31   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It was too powerful

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 10, 2003, 17:00   #4
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 18:06
The game was released closely after 9/11. Perhaps they didn't want to intimidate some sentimental American patriots. The spy missions "plant nuke" and "poison water supply" from CIV2 are also missing. At least the poison would be useful to reduce enemy population before attacking a city, to reduce defence bonus and prevent culture flips.

But instead of fundamentalism and terrorism, you can commit genicide by artillery and starvation.
Old February 10, 2003, 17:30   #5
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 13:06
I'll go with Art of War: it was too d*mn powerful.

I usually made some serious research until I got submarines, then turned into a Fundamentalism and just destroyed every last bit of not-agreeing-with-me culture.
Old February 10, 2003, 17:58   #6
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 11:06
They didn't think it was fun because it was too easy.
Old February 11, 2003, 01:05   #7
Phatphal
Chieftain

Its not like they HAD to keep the same properties for the government. They could have reduced the number of units you had free, and changed some characteristics. I just switched from civ 2 to civ 3 and it just seems there isn't enough governments :/
Old February 11, 2003, 06:42   #8
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Editor - add governments - its about the easiest mod to do. Even I managed it. The AI abused my fundy gov, and swiched as soon as it was possible (I thought with monotheism) and then went into a tech stagnation, but with about 100,000 Knights. Hard to balance. All of the AI civs were using the new government.

-Jam
Old February 11, 2003, 09:27   #9
TacticalGrace
Prince

fundamentalism is the natural state for the AI. I mindlessly builds units and sends them to their destruction.
Old February 11, 2003, 09:32   #10
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TacticalGrace
fundamentalism is the natural state for the AI. I mindlessly builds units and sends them to their destruction.
You are talking about the AI, right ? Great typo, made me laugh

-Jam
Old February 11, 2003, 09:37   #11
Optimizer
Prince

Local Time: 17:06
I've never understood what the real world equivalent for the Fundamentalist government in Civ 2 was. Since it came late in the game - after Conscription - it must have been meant to simulate the fundamentalist regimes of the 20th century.

However, there haven't been very many of them - I can only think of the ayatollah-ruled Iran and the taliban-governed Afghanistan. Neither of them has been famous for large, invincible armies.
Old February 11, 2003, 10:09   #12
Jamski
Deity

I always moved it earlier, so then it is good for the Islamic Jihad in the 7th Century, the Crusaders, etc...

-Jam
Old February 11, 2003, 10:24   #13
Optimizer
Prince

True. Fundamentalism - or more generally religious government - was more of an issue in ancient times.

Fundamentalism shouldn't have such extreme military maintenance bonuses, either.
Old February 11, 2003, 10:30   #14
Jamski
Deity

Hmm, but in civ3, what is less than 1 gold per unit? You have to give fundy free units to giv it better support, and free units means the AI never stops stockpiling '@#+*' ** riflemen

-Jam
Old February 11, 2003, 10:46   #15
Optimizer
Prince

But why should fundamentalism have better military support at all? Their soldiers have to eat, too.
Old February 11, 2003, 10:52   #16
Jamski
Deity

But they don't care so much if they get hungry. They're fighting for God, after all.

-Jam
Old February 11, 2003, 19:23   #17
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 12:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
The game was released closely after 9/11. Perhaps they didn't want to intimidate some sentimental American patriots.
They announced that Fundamentalism was gone in early August 2001. Don't know about the planting nukes and poisoning the water supplies though.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old February 11, 2003, 20:13   #18
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

It seems to me that some kind of modern, authoritarian government form is required, by both actual historical experience and the needs of game play. Call it dictatorship, authoritarianism, fascism, fanaticism, a junta, whatever. But some manner of modern and militarily capable government form is need. Switching to monarchy or communism when you get surprised attacked in late game is just too ridiculous. (In this area, Civ 3 is a real step back from SMAC. I miss all those government permutations....)
Old February 12, 2003, 07:34   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

question , if Firaxis where to include a new type of government , what would you choose , ......

dictatorship could be adjusted to fit most ages , ......

have a nice day
Old February 12, 2003, 08:17   #20
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I still am in two minds about whether Fundamentalism is a form of Government or not?
Doesn't fundamentalism describe the culture rather than the form of rulership?

A Nation governed by leaders ordained by God, giving them the divine right to rule sounds like a monachy to me.
I suppose Iran could be described as a despotic government, which supposes that it could become more democratic. Therefore its government 'type' is independent of it's fundamentalist Religious establishment..

(I apologise if I have slandered any Iranians, it was not my intention,...I am just showing my ignorance by using your nation as an example)

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old February 12, 2003, 08:22   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Th0mas
I still am in two minds about whether Fundamentalism is a form of Government or not?
Doesn't fundamentalism describe the culture rather than the form of rulership?

A Nation governed by leaders ordained by God, giving them the divine right to rule sounds like a monachy to me.
I suppose Iran could be described as a despotic government, which supposes that it could become more democratic. Therefore its government 'type' is independent of it's fundamentalist Religious establishment..

(I apologise if I have slandered any Iranians, it was not my intention,...I am just showing my ignorance by using your nation as an example)
hi ,

, fundamentalism could become a unique gov for civ with a religious trait , .......

have a nice day
Old February 12, 2003, 08:38   #22
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, fundamentalism could become a unique gov for civ with a religious trait , .......

have a nice day
Yes, but that supposes there is something special about fundamentalism as a government type that isn't already in Monachy?

Does Civ 3 need another government type that prevents unhappyness and reduces the cost of maintaining military might for the price of a reduced science production? That still says Monachy to me.

I also believe the CIV 3 monachy government best describes real-world 'fundamentalist' states when compared with the CIV 2 fundamentalist government type.
edit for grammer & spelling

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Last edited by Th0mas; February 12, 2003 at 08:46.
Old February 12, 2003, 08:49   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Th0mas

Yes, but that supposes there is something special about fundamentalism as a government type that isn't already in Monachy?

Does Civ 3 need another government type that prevents unhappyness and reduces the cost of maintaining military might for the price of a reduced science production? That still says Monachy to me.

I also believe the CIV 3 monachy government best describes real-world 'fundamentalist' states when compared with the CIV 2 fundamentalist government type.
edit for grammer & spelling
hi ,

monarchy is not the answer , most of those tend to have high corruption in the real world , ....

no , it should be something new , something extra like a gov only possible for lets say religous traits , and an other one available to all that fills the other gaps , like a dictarship or so , ..... no tanks can be supported ( or very few ) , troops in cities are needed or a major uprising happens , bandints roam the country and destroy improvements , ...... etc , ....

have a nice day
Old February 12, 2003, 13:19   #24
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

I gotta go with the fella a few posts back that said Civ3 was a real step back in governments from SMAC. I think (with the possible exception of "Green" economy governments) you can find every permutation of the Police State/Democractic/Fundamentalist government with FreeMarket/Planned economics and goals of Power/Wealth/Knowledge. (Hmm...maybe not knowledge either..... dunno?)

I was kinda hoping for more of the same, but alas.

So here's the real question: which countries would choose Future: Cybernetic/Eudaimonia/Though Control?

Hehehe.
Old February 12, 2003, 13:41   #25
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

That was me. Thanks for the compliment. Expanded government posibilities should be a major part of any other x-pack to civ 3. Is there some way that request can be put into a list of issues for Firaxis (if it isn't already in there) ?