View Poll Results: What's your favorite faction?
the nature people 3 13.04%
the religion people 2 8.70%
the knowledge people 11 47.83%
Other (reply) 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12, 2003, 12:10   #31
Hendrik
Warlord

Local Time: 16:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually I think the starting cash is VERY significant. Research biogenetics as your first tech, and you can have two recycling tanks in your first two bases by year 2107. This has a huge effect on your early game economy... that extra food can double your food production if you don't have any 2 food tiles. Morgan can expand much faster than any of the hybrid/builder factions because of this, Yang can come close but Morgan's research also helps in early expansion (IE having wealth as fast as possible)

Two free recycling tanks 10 years earlier essentially nets you the 60 minerals that you pay for with a rush buy and 60 factor of production points. That much turn advantage in the very early game can make a significant difference over the course of a game.
Old February 12, 2003, 12:25   #32
Ivellios
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:08
The moment you can build units with Clean Reactors, Morgan's -1 support easily disappears, since you have more than enough energy credits to rush-build for the extra required minerals or upgrade your current bunch of Formers and garrison units.

And if you're so focused on the extra mineral cost for a unit, just run Wealth. It's +1 Industry makes units and infrastructure 10% cheaper, which makes you hardly feel any impact of the support penalties.

And believe me, you can easily live with the -2 Morale if you're playing Morgan right.
Old February 12, 2003, 16:35   #33
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Not if you have a jungle-Hive nearby
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old February 12, 2003, 16:54   #34
Ivellios
Chieftain

Alright, you're right there. I'll hand you that one :P Chances are slim when playing with 70-90% ocean coverage though
Old February 12, 2003, 21:18   #35
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
You cannot offset anything if you cannot even build more than a scout and a former per base
As Hendrik points out, Biogenics and your starting 100 ECs can get you recycling tanks out on turn 6-8. With those extra minerals I'm getting more population, building more pods and learning more tech. Leaving out the blind luck of pod drops, your typical city can expect to produce 4 nuts, 2 minerals and 1 energy. With 2 cities planted that's an excess of 4 nuts per turn, 4 minerals per turn, and 2 energy collected. If you're Yang, that's down to 1 energy collected, thanks to your econ penalty. If you're Morgan, by 2110, you're collecting 5 nuts in each base, 3 minerals and 3 energy, thanks to extra energy in your base square. So with 2 bases planted, that's 6 excess nuts, 6 minerals and 6 energy.

That's right, it's only turn 8, and I'm already getting 50% more nutrients, 50% more minerals, and 3 times as much energy. For this priviledge, I'm perfectly willing to suck up the 1 mineral tax on my units.

Quote:
Not if you have a jungle-Hive nearby
Please. Even the AI gets a little scary when it starts in the Jungle.
Old February 13, 2003, 05:30   #36
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Exact- a LITTLE
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old February 14, 2003, 00:15   #37
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 12:08
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
The Builder People
I prefer The Builder People, which, with proper management, can be any of the SMAC-7.
Old February 14, 2003, 00:45   #38
VJ
King

I like the Infectous Virus' (aka Hive)
Old February 21, 2003, 08:38   #39
Mannamagnus
Prince

University - so much it gets boring
Old February 21, 2003, 11:21   #40
Dranthar
Settler

My vote goes for the Inner Party people

B...B...B...B...B...B...B...B...B...B...B...B...B. ..B...B...B...B...B...

Damn it, I gotta read 1984 again.

Werner Edward
Old February 21, 2003, 15:31   #41
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:08
Quote:
You cannot offset anything if you cannot even build more than a scout and a former per base
But you can always build more than that-- With the extra cash you build a crawler and crawl a few minerals.

No matter what faction I play, I always have a few bases that produces more than 10 minerals. Support is a concern early but once crawlers are in play it reduces itself to a minor annoyance. The fact that you might have a mineral or two less going toward production compared to other factions is no big deal if that same base produces an "extra" bunch of energy.
Old February 21, 2003, 15:48   #42
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 11:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Hendrik
Actually I think the starting cash is VERY significant. Research biogenetics as your first tech, and you can have two recycling tanks in your first two bases by year 2107. This has a huge effect on your early game economy... that extra food can double your food production if you don't have any 2 food tiles. Morgan can expand much faster than any of the hybrid/builder factions because of this, Yang can come close but Morgan's research also helps in early expansion (IE having wealth as fast as possible)

Two free recycling tanks 10 years earlier essentially nets you the 60 minerals that you pay for with a rush buy and 60 factor of production points. That much turn advantage in the very early game can make a significant difference over the course of a game.
Interesting. What of the lost turn advantage to having formers later by virtue of researching ecology second (or third?) rather than first? The same 8 rows for the two recycling tanks would be enough for four formers. (or three, allowing two rows rows worth of absorbtion of the extra support costs until the terraforming incereased mineral output enough to provide the mineral support. Does the benefit of two extra nuts offset what I see as a net loss of turn advantage in production? I would think sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Old February 21, 2003, 18:49   #43
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose

Interesting. What of the lost turn advantage to having formers later by virtue of researching ecology second (or third?) rather than first? The same 8 rows for the two recycling tanks would be enough for four formers. (or three, allowing two rows rows worth of absorbtion of the extra support costs until the terraforming incereased mineral output enough to provide the mineral support. Does the benefit of two extra nuts offset what I see as a net loss of turn advantage in production? I would think sometimes yes, sometimes no.
I think in terms of net Factors of Production, the extra nut, extra mineral and extra energy are easily worth putting off the start of your terraforming for a few turns.

Recycling Tanks return dividends on invested build time immediately, whereas formers take additional turns to actually build improvements, and those improvements may or may not actuallly increase yield, for example, if you're in an area with a couple of rainy squares, you'll be harvesting those and leaving your forests fallow in any case.

Also, the time you're spending building formers, I'm cranking out colony pods, so you'll wind up having fewer bases with more roads and trees, and I'll have more bases with tanks.

If you're really on fire about getting formers fast, you can always take centauri ecology immediately after biogenics, but I've spent hours testing the various openings, and the biogenics/industrial economics start _invariably_ winds up ahead when playing Morgan. And not by a little.
Old February 23, 2003, 20:48   #44
Markus The Mighty
NationStates
Chieftain

Most of the times I'm one of the money people, but recently I have discovered the joy of the Dark Red Research-Hating Pseudo-Marxists i.e. the drones.
Just start out with a large landmass and spread like a disease all over the planet...

Besides, I kinda like Domai's "viva la revolución" attitude

(hey, I think I've fallen in love with these smileys )
Old March 2, 2003, 02:17   #45
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 10:08
Believers. They eat the Spartans for breakfast.
Money's nice, but what does Morgan do when one of the warmongers come knocking on his door? Even he can't buy off EVERYBODY...
Old March 2, 2003, 13:11   #46
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Once Morgan has Industrial Automation and comparable weapon tech to back it up, he can field just an impressive army as any other faction. I agree with you that Miriam is the strongest warmonger faction, and that once she has tech parity (not too hard with judicious use of probe teams) she's unholy difficult to stop. But as the many Miriam detractors from my 'Least Favorite Faction' will point out, youre very vulnerable while you catch up in tech.