Old February 10, 2003, 19:04   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Recommend me an RPG
I've had a new computer for over a month now yet no new games to play it on. That needs to change.

I'm thinking RPG like Divine Divinity, Morrowind, or Arx Fatalis at the moment. Not sure which. I'm open to other suggestions. I just want something that isn't more than a year old.

This is what I view in order of importance for RPGs:
1. Story
2. Atmosphere
3. Combat
4. Graphics
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old February 10, 2003, 19:51   #2
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
Neverwinter Nights doesn't have a very good storyline, but since you can download new modules, the potential exists to find some excellent stories out there.

Bioware is developing a free series of modules that have a fantastic plot so far. Still it might not be what you're looking for.
Old February 10, 2003, 20:44   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I was thinking about NWN, but I have a 56k so the amount I'd be able to download is limited.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old February 10, 2003, 21:36   #4
Tuberski

Modules aren't really terribly large. Anywhere from about 800k to about 4.2M is what I have seen.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old February 10, 2003, 21:41   #5
Apocalypse
Emperor

Does NWN fit in with what I view as important though?
Old February 10, 2003, 22:07   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Does NWN fit in with what I view as important though?
I wouldn't say so.

It's more of a multiplayer game.

Have you tried Arcanum - Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura? I haven't played all the way through it, but it's got one of the best atmospheres I've ever seen in a computer game.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 10, 2003, 22:38   #7
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
It's a bit old. He wanted games a year old. But yeah, I think it's by the Fallout crew, and they made fantastic games.

Fallout I&II are available for ten bucks together. Good deal if you don't mind the dated engine.
Old February 10, 2003, 23:58   #8
Apocalypse
Emperor

I have Arcanum, Fallout, and Fallout 2.

You aren't being helpful.

Not to mention that would totally defeat the purpose of this thread, getting a game for the computer.
Old February 11, 2003, 00:35   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

How about, hmm, zelda?
Old February 11, 2003, 00:41   #10
Apocalypse
Emperor

Not for my PC...
Old February 11, 2003, 02:11   #11
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 10:08
morrowind for SP

Jon miller
Old February 11, 2003, 07:11   #12
pg
Prince

there really aren't that many rpgs which are less than a yr old. you've probabably played the majority of them.
Old February 11, 2003, 09:24   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I haven't played it, but morrowind seems like a good single player game. From what I gather it doesn't really have much of a story, but it's completely open and non-linear.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 11, 2003, 09:32   #14
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 17:08
I thought that Morrowind was very engaging because it was open ended and it had an engaging story!?

Anyway, I am still looking to finsh BGII which is an excellent game IMHO.

So long...
Old February 11, 2003, 09:51   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd rate Morrowind over Divine Divinity on the criteria you give.
Old February 11, 2003, 17:43   #16
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by pg
there really aren't that many rpgs which are less than a yr old. you've probabably played the majority of them.
I haven't played any of them actually.

The newest RPG I've bought is Arcanum, but that ran fine on my old comp and I've beaten it already.
Old February 11, 2003, 20:00   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why do you want one less than a year old if graphics aren't a very high priority?
Old February 11, 2003, 20:21   #18
Tuberski

Morrowind for sure meets the criteria.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old February 11, 2003, 20:43   #19
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Why do you want one less than a year old if graphics aren't a very high priority?
1. Narrow it down so I wouldn't get Fallout, BG, PST and Arcanum suggestions.
2. I want to make use of the new computer.
Old February 12, 2003, 05:44   #20
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

MORROWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely the only choice (IMHO)

SG[1]
Old February 12, 2003, 16:23   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Not for my PC...
Emulator

(Note: An emulator is not illegal. Dont edit my post)
Old February 12, 2003, 18:36   #22
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Emulator

(Note: An emulator is not illegal. Dont edit my post)
Kinda missed the point. I just don't want it for my PC.
Old February 13, 2003, 02:06   #23
Nubclear

Quote:

Kinda missed the point. I just don't want it for my PC.
oH i'M SORRY. wELL, zELDA ISN'T A GAME YOU PLAY ON THE COMPUTER (NORMAILLY)
Old February 13, 2003, 04:40   #24
pg
Prince

Quote:
I haven't played any of them actually.
but there aren't really any either. hence the number of suggestions you are getting. how many computer rpgs are there that are less than 1 yr old anyways? have all of them already been mentioned?
Old February 13, 2003, 07:53   #25
Grumbold
Emperor

I don't keep an internal clock of release dates but I play almost all (Western) RPG's that are released. Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope of you getting totally unbiased information about them on a forum busy electing Diablo 2 as best game of 2001/2

Divine Divinity
Icewind Dale 2
Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Wizardry 8
Old February 13, 2003, 07:58   #26
The Pioneer
Prince

How is ID 2? I liked the first one as it was a hack and slash version of BG!

So long...
Old February 13, 2003, 08:14   #27
Grumbold
Emperor

Too hack'n'slash for my tastes. You really had a hard time if you generated characters with average stats (well most people did, including me, I'm sure some breezed it.) It tempts you into making munchkin parties full of fighters with 20 strength and 3 cha just to survive without reloading each big fight five or more times. Still if what you want is lots and lots of combat with pretty faithful 3e rules, you certainly get that.
Old February 13, 2003, 17:20   #28
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 18:08
I just bought (!!!) me a budget price version of Icewind dale and heart of darkness (you see even a pirate like me buys games of only they lower the prices substantially, companies such as Sierra etc spend too much money on PR and luxurious hotels etc for journalists and so on.. costs that are absolutely not needed, game reviewers look at the quality of the game, not at the quality of the limousine!)

I heard lots of good things about it, especially since you get the same graphics as in BG2 with the heart of winter expansion... one question though, is it possible to import characters or do i have to start out from scratch (level 1 characters)?
Old February 14, 2003, 08:07   #29
Grumbold
Emperor

BG and IWD are set in different timelines so no, there is no facility to import characters. The game is geared to take you from level 1 anyway. IWD2 is also 3rd edition so importing characters from 2e would be a hassle.

Last edited by Grumbold; February 14, 2003 at 10:08.
Old February 14, 2003, 08:47   #30
The Pioneer
Prince

So it's much like ID! I didn't bother with the expansion and I am probably not going to get ID2. I love BG and BG2 and I think that they are among the best games.

So longs...